Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 PM

237 posts, read 410,983 times

Advertisements

Hi All, continuing my search of the West for a place to call home that's in budget and good to live in (for me of course... everyone has different ideas).

Hit on Shelton and then Olympia in my Zillow Search...

Did the usual Wikipedia on it... (climate, geography, etc.)

Did Youtube on it... immediately "Homeless Camps" came up.

So not sure what to think.

Your opinions on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 01:49 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
It is generally considered to be on the very good side of things.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:29 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Hi All, continuing my search of the West for a place to call home that's in budget and good to live in (for me of course... everyone has different ideas).

Hit on Shelton and then Olympia in my Zillow Search...

Did the usual Wikipedia on it... (climate, geography, etc.)

Did Youtube on it... immediately "Homeless Camps" came up.

So not sure what to think.

Your opinions on the area?

I live just South of Olympia and have most of my life. The Olympia area, and the Shelton area, are both great places to live! It's a wonderful area, with beautiful scenery, good weather (*I* think!) and a lot of good people in it.

It's true there are homeless camps downtown Oly, and some in the surrounding woods. It's a problem that needs a solution we probably can't solve here in a couple of paragraphs. As someone who worked a long time in social services, I can say it's not for lack of programs that can help people. We have programs. The homeless camps are largely full of people who cannot, or will not, cooperate in those programs, often times due to drugs. The City and County governments have tried a few approaches toward the problem that I don't think have worked real well... I try very hard to not be publicly political, but I think new ideas are needed. It is sad to see people living that way, and sad to see the mess and the blight they leave behind.

THAT SAID.... you can live your whole life in this area without going downtown, or venturing anywhere near these camps. They don't need to scare you away. The major shopping areas of Olympia, on the West Side, in Tumwater, in Lacey... are all nice and clean and feel very safe. Most neighborhoods feel pretty safe. Homeless camps are getting a lot of press right now, but they don't rule life here.

This area has a lot of suburban and rural development so there is a wide range of choices, from living right in town, to nice old neighborhoods, to brand new developments, to surrounding small communities and towns and small and large acreages. There are a lot of choices here! My hubby and I live on acreage just South of Olympia, near the town of Rochester.

Homes are still considered affordable around Olympia, but prices have been climbing! People are moving here! Whether the locals always want more company or not! That's how it often is. You can get a little more for your money in Shelton still, but their prices are going up too. Many of our little timber towns took a hard hit a couple decades ago with changes in forestry policy, but many are finding new life again now and are vibrant little towns again. There's so many little social clubs and gatherings here in my little town of Rochester, I can't keep up with it. I'm lucky to keep up with the talk on facebook!

This is the kind of community where you can be as involved in the local goings-on as you want to be. There are friendly groups and communities you can participate in, or you can keep to yourself and be left alone. We have both kinds here, and both kinds fit right in.

That's my two cents! Good or bad!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:11 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
THAT SAID.... you can live your whole life in this area without going downtown, or venturing anywhere near these camps. They don't need to scare you away. The major shopping areas of Olympia, on the West Side, in Tumwater, in Lacey... are all nice and clean and feel very safe. Most neighborhoods feel pretty safe. Homeless camps are getting a lot of press right now, but they don't rule life here.
I've got to disagree. I suppose if you drive into town on Capitol Way and don't get out of your car you might not see anything, but it's for real and it's all over the place. I like to hike the numerous main trail and side trails throughout the area so I'm well aware of them. I stopped taking most of the side trails a few years ago and I avoid some of the main ones now, like the Woodland Trail near Wheeler, for safety concerns. I don't hate homeless people and I wish our government would help out more, but we do have a serious homeless issue here.

Maybe people in cars don't see them, but take the time to walk by some of the woods around town and you'll realize they're all over the place, not just in the downtown. It's also pretty common to see someone riding a bike and wheeling another one alongside. We have a serious bike theft issue here.

How about this? "Homeless uproot brick, dig tunnels under I-5 overpass" Homeless uproot brick, dig tunnels under I-5 overpass Nothing's being done about this, the last I heard.

There's a serious sanitation issue in the downtown, with the feces on the sidewalks. Something needs to be done about that, like bathrooms for the homeless, but it's being ignored. The downtown business owners banded together and hired security guards to keep homeless people from sleeping and doing their business in their doorways, but they were told by the Olympia police that they couldn't have the patrol.

If you want to find out more about the issue, check out the Olympia Looks Like (this part won't get past the censor) Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2115961448456675

Edit: Shelton's a nice area, by the way. I don't think they have much of a homeless issue, but don't quote me on that.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM

I said there's little need to go downtown Olympia... Unless you live or work down there, obviously. It's true, because I live in this area, and hardly ever go down there. Not on Capitol.... not any way. Most of the good shopping is in Tumwater, or Lacey, or the West Side.

I'm fully aware of the homeless problem because I follow it on a few facebook pages that keep track of it. Another group that has done a good job of covering the issue, without the bad language, is this one: https://www.facebook.com/Olympia-Pho...5912262772302/

I am not hiding from the issue, but you don't have to wade through them or be immersed in them to live here, and live well here. There are better nature trails in the area. I would avoid most of those in town. Tumwater, West Olympia, Lacey are all growing with good new and old neighborhoods. The suburbs and rural parts of the county are all growing.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-24-2019 at 03:43 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I said there's little need to go downtown Olympia... Unless you live or work down there, obviously. I live in this area, and hardly ever do. Not on Capitol.... not any way. Most of the good shopping is in Tumwater, or Lacey, or the West Side.

I'm fully aware of the homeless problem because I follow it on a few facebook pages that keep track of it. Another group that has done a good job of covering the issue, without the bad language, is this one: https://www.facebook.com/Olympia-Pho...5912262772302/

I am not hiding from the issue, but you don't have to wade through them or be immersed in them to live here, and live well here. There are better nature trails in the area. I would avoid most of those in town. Tumwater, West Olympia, Lacey are all growing with good new and old neighborhoods. The suburbs and rural parts of the county are all growing.
They're on the West Side and in Lacey and Tumwater. That's the point I was making.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
They're on the West Side and in Lacey and Tumwater. That's the point I was making.
I'm sure there are some. Not saying they're not there, but they're out of sight for the most part and don't feel scary or oppressive there. There's a few camps out rurally too... out by us. I know where they are, but they don't change where I want to be.

I don't know what to do about it. I guess my point is, there is a homeless issue, but it's not the only thing going on in the area. There's a lot of good going on in the area too.

The thing that's different here, perhaps, than other cities elsewhere is... Olympia is not a depressed area. Neither is Seattle. Quite the opposite! There's lots of jobs, happiness and prosperity here. It's not a slummy area with no prospects. We don't have large areas of low income housing or projects... we have a lot of really successful people leading productive lives, living right next to some unfortunately visible people who aren't... who are camping in the woods or in vacant lots downtown.

It's not a matter of no opportunity, it's people at some level choosing to not be a part of it. And a City Government who doesn't know what to do about it, and a community who doesn't like it a bit and is trying to get control of it.

I get really mad when I see the garbage and filth in our natural areas. While the cities and counties go after good people for building a shed without a gopher study, the homeless are living and dumping garbage in creeks. Where should the focus be?

As is often true, they spend resources where they feel like they can win. They need a plan downtown that can win. Until then.... I don't go down there.

It's beautiful out in the country today.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there are some. Not saying they're not there, but they're out of sight for the most part and don't feel scary or oppressive there. There's a few camps out rurally too... out by us. I know where they are, but they don't change where I want to be.

I don't know what to do about it. I guess my point is, there is a homeless issue, but it's not the only thing going on in the area. There's a lot of good going on in the area too.

The thing that's different here, perhaps, than other cities elsewhere is... Olympia is not a depressed area. Neither is Seattle. Quite the opposite! There's lots of jobs, happiness and prosperity here. It's not a slummy area with no prospects. We don't have large areas of low income housing or projects... we have a lot of really successful people leading productive lives, living right next to some unfortunately visible people who aren't... who are camping in the woods or in vacant lots downtown.

It's not a matter of no opportunity, it's people at some level choosing to not be a part of it. And a City Government who doesn't know what to do about it, and a community who doesn't like it a bit and is trying to get control of it.

I get really mad when I see the garbage and filth in our natural areas. While the cities and counties go after good people for building a shed without a gopher study, the homeless are living and dumping garbage in creeks. Where should the focus be?

As is often true, they spend resources where they feel like they can win. They need a plan downtown that can win. Until then.... I don't go down there.

It's beautiful out in the country today.
Yes, you're right, it's not all bad. I hope you realize that I didn't mean anything personal by my post. That's just a sticking point for me, but I agree with most everything else you write,

And yes, it's beautiful out today. Enjoy!

Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM

268 posts, read 366,349 times
Other than driving through, it has been several years since I visited Olympia, so keep that in mind. I was once interested in relocating to West Olympia, and maybe I still am.

But the primary purpose of my post is to warn you (the OP) about the Aberdeen / Hoquiam trap in case they show up on your searches. Those are "death trap" communities. I know them well, and as my good deed of the day, I advise you to avoid them, even if housing seems "cheap" there.

Very nice day on the Peninsula too!

Old 03-24-2019, 06:17 PM

Yes, there is a reason home prices are a lot cheaper out in Aberdeen/Hoquiam. They are an example of a timber town that has NOT recovered and found a new life yet. There is a possibility of tourism there yet to be fully realized.... I hope they find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington