Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 11:13 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

For those who missed the beautiful sunrise this morning, here are some of the shots of it.

Beautiful Pacific Northwest sunrise on January 30, 2020

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 01:43 AM

203 posts, read 165,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
For those who missed the beautiful sunrise this morning, here are some of the shots of it.

Beautiful Pacific Northwest sunrise on January 30, 2020

Derek
The clouds look super cool.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:19 PM

Beautiful winter 's day for a paddle on Lacamas Lake today. It was a nice way to kick of February.

Derek

Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 PM

Wow, we finally got a 'little' snow, first one of 2020! The kids' school even started two hours late. While the day began with snow, the second half finished with lots of sun, blue skies and a nice sunset.

Derek

Old 02-04-2020, 06:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We had snow in the early morning, just a dusting, then again last night, but it didn't stick. That's 3 days in a row with both snow and sun. This morning just frost and 30F.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:16 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Funny seeing all these posts about sun but here in Olympia I'm trying to remember the last time I saw it lol. Snowed earlier today but it didn't stick now it's just raining again. Nice pics there though MtnSurfer

Old 02-04-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Funny seeing all these posts about sun but here in Olympia I'm trying to remember the last time I saw it lol. Snowed earlier today but it didn't stick now it's just raining again. Nice pics there though MtnSurfer
Interesting regarding the differences. I've seen similar recent sun breaks around the Seattle area as well while keeping an eye on their weather. The strange/odd part for me is to look at the extended long range forecast and see straight rain all the way through! This takes some getting used to. Moving up from Central Cal, we lived pretty much in drought conditions year round and longed for rain that never seemed to come. I distinctly recall saying 'I can't remember the last time its rained' and that was during the winter. So its quite a paradigm shift soaking in the mother load up here.

The part that seems to helps are the sun breaks between the bands when they occur. Sometimes they're further apart. And when they do occur I make it a point the get out and see it. Take a picture and remember its not always dark and raining. I guess it rains more in Olympia than other parts of western WA, perhaps? Good news for you is you are headed for a nice break according the forecasts. It looks like you'll be getting less rain and more clearing than we will in Vancouver. So you'll need to post a picture of the sunny days for us down here.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-04-2020 at 08:26 PM..

Old 02-05-2020, 08:27 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Interesting regarding the differences. I've seen similar recent sun breaks around the Seattle area as well while keeping an eye on their weather. The strange/odd part for me is to look at the extended long range forecast and see straight rain all the way through! This takes some getting used to. Moving up from Central Cal, we lived pretty much in drought conditions year round and longed for rain that never seemed to come. I distinctly recall saying 'I can't remember the last time its rained' and that was during the winter. So its quite a paradigm shift soaking in the mother load up here.

The part that seems to helps are the sun breaks between the bands when they occur. Sometimes they're further apart. And when they do occur I make it a point the get out and see it. Take a picture and remember its not always dark and raining. I guess it rains more in Olympia than other parts of western WA, perhaps? Good news for you is you are headed for a nice break according the forecasts. It looks like you'll be getting less rain and more clearing than we will in Vancouver. So you'll need to post a picture of the sunny days for us down here.

Derek
I've learned to never put too much merit into the long term forecasts here lol. They change frequently and I can't tell you how many times I've looked at the weather on my phone and it's completely different than what I'm physically experiencing standing outside lol. The micro-climates are real. For instance, just yesterday the weather on my phone said it was just overcast but it was raining pretty good out.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:19 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Microclimates are real. Some areas get snow, some clouds, some sunbreaks. Yesterday it snowed all afternoon and it was supposed to be raining here.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Microclimates are real. Some areas get snow, some clouds, some sunbreaks. Yesterday it snowed all afternoon and it was supposed to be raining here.
We ended up with about an inch by about 5pm, before it turned to rain and all melted overnight. I remember about 4pm that the sun was shining on the tops of the trees while it was snowing. A fun weather day, with pretty much a little of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington