Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
Probably true. They are so sensitive to lack of sunshine, it is insane. One - two days of overcast sky and there are moans "where is the sun" and "the weather is awful" and "the weather is depressing" all over the place. They want their light bulb strictly on schedule. In the morning lights on, in the evening lights off.
So much overgeneralization, misinformation, and stereotyping about California AND Washington.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 01-29-2020 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 11:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
People who complain most about the weather here are from SoCal.
Gross stereotyping (again) and not at all true. I have talked to born-and-raised Washington Olympic Peninsula natives who grow extremely weary of the winters.

Seasonal Affective Disorder is real for MANY people. Stop implying that it is a *attitude* of SoCal transplants, that statement reeks of ignorance.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:28 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Everyone complains about Seattle weather. It is either too gloomy in the winter, or too hot in the summer. Neither of which are really true at the end of the day. Yeah, I know the headline this month is there has been rain everyday for a month. But that doesn't mean the sun hasn't come out here and there in between. We tend to exaggerate these type of conditions to make a point, when there is really no point to be made. Seattle is an oceanic maritime climate. Get used to it. And enjoy the beautiful sunny days, which actually occur outside of July through August.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:00 AM

203 posts, read 165,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Gross stereotyping (again) and not at all true. I have talked to born-and-raised Washington Olympic Peninsula natives who grow extremely weary of the winters.

Seasonal Affective Disorder is real for MANY people. Stop implying that it is a *attitude* of SoCal transplants, that statement reeks of ignorance.
You are right about SAD. But I was talking about personal experience in SoCal where it’s really hard to develop SAD due to the lack of sunshine.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:45 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Seattle is not green in winter at all, that’s a total myth. It’s grey, darker grey, brown and the “green” trees are really just light black
Yeah, there's some truth to that light black thing, although I'd call it more of a muted dark green. I love it but it's not for everyone.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Its funny, in 2006 in Hawaii we had 40 straight days of rain too, but you would never hear anyone complain about it being too dreary, overcast, and rainy in Hawaii.
Somehow I doubt Hawaii experienced this much overcast. It's more likely that there were lots of rain showers and lots of clouds, but lots more sun than we've been seeing here lately.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Are you saying normal January weather is 100% chance of rain every day? Can that be right? Where exactly are you?
Quote:
Of course not. There is no place like that, not even Forks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
How much time have you actually spent in Forks?

Old 01-29-2020, 02:36 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
The Midwest is not devoid of evergreens (especially places like northern Wisconsin), and the sun comes out sometimes in winter to shine on the snow. It's not green like this, but is not a post apocalyptic wasteland with an unchanging sky. It's easy to stereotype places, but stereotypes never tell the whole story.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:37 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Quote:
You are a troll. Have you been to the Midwest or East coast in the winter? They don't even have grass in the winter and their trees are bare until late April. Somehow haters forget that Seattle is located at the same latitude as Quebec City.
Real classy, keep it going with your put downs of people who dont share your view. This is the 3rd person who you have insulted on the WA forums. I bet you dont have the guts to do this in real life just another keyboard bully.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Yeah, there's some truth to that light black thing, although I'd call it more of a muted dark green. I love it but it's not for everyone.
A muted dark green is fair, but it looks muted only because of the dark days during winter caused by cloudiness and short daylight. BTW, Seattle's grass stays green year 'round, unlike the midwest and northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington