Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Are you saying normal January weather is 100% chance of rain every day? Can that be right? Where exactly are you?
I see that you’re from SoCal. So was I, so I know how weird this sounds. Depending upon what area of western Washington you live in, you may get rain every day in January. It may not be all day, and it’s usually not a deluge, like when it finally rains in SoCal, but it still rains. A lot. But the larger issue is that, at least where I am, in January it is cloudy (solid gray cloudy) and dark. Every. Single. Day. It’s usually that way starting in November. At this time of year, your best friends are Johnny (Walker) or Jack (Daniels).

This past Thanksgiving, it was sunny. I thought a miracle had happened. Then the next day...rainy, gray cloudy.

Late spring, summer & fall are awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I see that you’re from SoCal. So was I, so I know how weird this sounds. Depending upon what area of western Washington you live in, you may get rain every day in January. It may not be all day, and it’s usually not a deluge, like when it finally rains in SoCal, but it still rains. A lot. But the larger issue is that, at least where I am, in January it is cloudy (solid gray cloudy) and dark. Every. Single. Day. It’s usually that way starting in November. At this time of year, your best friends are Johnny (Walker) or Jack (Daniels).

This past Thanksgiving, it was sunny. I thought a miracle had happened. Then the next day...rainy, gray cloudy.

Late spring, summer & fall are awesome.
Hey Happygrrrl, where in SoCal are you from? Grew up there myself (Hermosa, Manhattan Beaches) before moving to CO then Monterey. How long have you been up here? Do you ever head south for the winter?

We took a trip just before the New Year to Brookings, Oregon and the NorCal redwoods and it was a really nice sun break. Definitely worth the drive! Sometimes you just need a little winter warm up.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-08-2020 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2020, 12:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Takes a lot of days to 'drizzle' 100" / yr. (I get over 2x the amount of precip than nearby PDX)

I keep a few 5 gal pails around the farm (~14"). Normal month I dump them once / month. Bad month = once / week.

In both Texas and Colorado homes they can fill up in 1-2 days in heavy rain. But... like Florida... It really knows how to rain and gets it over with rather than 'drizzling' for 200 - 220 days / yr.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:44 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
It’s snowing right now in Sequim and I think there is more to come.
My daughter is parking up the hill from the house at the beginning of our driveway.
She just received a promotion and starts training today.
She doesn’t want to miss work.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
It’s snowing right now in Sequim and I think there is more to come.
My daughter is parking up the hill from the house at the beginning of our driveway.
She just received a promotion and starts training today.
She doesn’t want to miss work.
Same here in Sammamish, started about 6am but not sticking so far except on the cars. It's 35 so I expect it to turn to rain soon, and fortunately I don't have to leave home until 10:00. Next week may be a mess, though.

Best of luck to your daughter getting to work and on her new job! My brother is in Sequim and has to drive to work in Port Townsend, hopefully already there because he starts very early.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Looks like the cold front is hitting the state up north first. My buddy in Enumclaw just sent me pictures of snow in his yard. By contrast, we had a nice sunrise with some good sun breaks this morning. I don't think we'll see snow until next week possibly since its still too warm here right now. Today's high is 46 with a low tonight of 37.

Derek

Old 01-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hey Happygrrrl, where in SoCal are you from? Grew up there myself (Hermosa, Manhattan Beaches) before moving to CO then Monterey. How long have you been up here? Do you ever head south for the winter?

We took a trip just before the New Year to Brookings, Oregon and the NorCal redwoods and it was a really nice sun break. Definitely worth the drive! Sometimes you just need a little winter warm up. ;
Derek

Hi, Derek, I’m from San Diego, like your wife. I’m familiar with your home spot, I know someone who lives in Redondo. I still have a few extended family in CA, but the people I'm closest to have left CA.

I need a sunbreak to Arizona right about now. I’m having dreams about Yuma.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Hi, Derek, I’m from San Diego, like your wife. I’m familiar with your home spot, I know someone who lives in Redondo. I still have a few extended family in CA, but the people I'm closest to have left CA.

I need a sunbreak to Arizona right about now. I’m having dreams about Yuma.
Looks like Yuma is right on the boarder of both CA and Mexico with day temps ~ the same as San Diego. But what does one do in Yuma for fun? I've never been there before. Though I've visited other parts of AZ (Phoenix, Flagstaff, Sedona, Page). Is that where most of your friends/family moved to? I've heard Lake Havasu is a fun place to visit if you're into water sports.

I'll be heading to CA for business in a few weeks. Its nice to add a little variety to things if you can during winter.

Derek

Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Looks like Yuma is right on the boarder of both CA and Mexico with day temps ~ the same as San Diego. But what does one do in Yuma for fun? I've never been there before. Though I've visited other parts of AZ (Phoenix, Flagstaff, Sedona, Page). Is that where most of your friends/family moved to? I've heard Lake Havasu is a fun place to visit if you're into water sports.

I'll be heading to CA for business in a few weeks. Its nice to add a little variety to things if you can during winter.

Derek
I only dream about Yuma when it’s January in Washington, lol.

No, I just have a bent sense of humor. Yuma gets extremely hot and is very sunny. I’ve known people who have lived there but I won’t be one of them. I’m just craving sun, because after living up here for awhile, I understand why people become snowbirds. I do like Arizona a lot.

You lived in Colorado? My daughter and SIL moved there about 18 months ago.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I only dream about Yuma when it’s January in Washington, lol.

No, I just have a bent sense of humor. Yuma gets extremely hot and is very sunny. I’ve known people who have lived there but I won’t be one of them. I’m just craving sun, because after living up here for awhile, I understand why people become snowbirds. I do like Arizona a lot.

You lived in Colorado? My daughter and SIL moved there about 18 months ago.
Ok, got it. I thought you were planning a trip there or something.

Yep, we lived in Colorado Springs and still have family in Denver who migrated from CA. But they've been there ~ 15 years and like it much more than we did. They're also more home bodies. Although a fun adventure living a mile high+ next to the Rockies, it wasn't for us longer term. The climate and location right in the middle of the country is not ideal. I need to be closer to a coast and do not like the late, shorter springs (can snow even into May) and falls with looooong, frozen winters in between (lakes rivers, hiking trails, etc...). Blizzards = yuck! The air is too dry and the high winds makes it worse resulting in chapped skin, bloodshot eyes = no fun. Yards and gardens turn brown all winter when folks go into hibernation. Plus, I've got salt water in my veins.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-10-2020 at 12:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington