Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 03:31 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times

Advertisements

It will be gray and dreary almost the entire year they said. The rest of the year, well, forget about it! Don't expect to see the sun at all. And when you do you'll be shocked! Summer doesn't usually start until July then ends quickly in August when once again you're back to gray and rain for the remainder of the year.

While I don't mind gray, rain and fog after living along the coast, I thought some folks characachers of the PNW sounded a bit over the top. Ok, an exaggeration.

All I can say is these 10 months a year dreary weather claims have not rung true. Maybe this year is the 'one' exception to all those others. But somehow, I highly doubt it.

What I have noticed are some sub cultural differences. In the PNW folks that tends to downplay the positives while focusing more on the dreary side when discussing the climate. Is the glass half empty or half full? If it starts out raining and then the sun comes out in the afternoon, is that a crappy weather day? Maybe that explains it in part. But to say the sun never shines for 9-10 months a year really seems like hogwash.

I know, come back in January and see how things look. And hey, if there's no sun all winter I'm ok with that. Just don't tell me not to expect to see it unless in July or August. Because that is simply not accurate.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 04:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,984,813 times
People like to talk like that about Washington State, but it's utter nonsense.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:53 PM

14,536 posts, read 12,171,963 times
What I've always said is that we have just enough grey weather to make us really stop and appreciate the sun breaks in between.

For a few minutes at least.... The sun is so much more intense in winter when it comes in the windows sideways, that as soon as it does come out, we run around and close all the blinds.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:55 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,974,634 times
"Is the glass half empty or half full?"
the glass is always full.
half water half air.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:12 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,714,283 times
There are no two years that are alike, and few people will say winter isn't gray and rainy. I don't think I've heard anyone say 10 months of no sun before, but winter is gray and the days short, and in many years summer has held off until after the Fourth of July. There are sunny stretches in fall, and sometimes winter- especially if it snows and then we get a hard freeze. But the main weather pattern is cloud cover with sun breaks vs. sun with cloudy days.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:34 PM

14,536 posts, read 12,171,963 times
Most of the best winter picture opportunities you will see of Mount Rainier are in winter. Barring an inversion that is temporarily trapping smog and smoke in the Puget Sound basin, the air is generally a LOT clearer in winter, so when "the mountain is out" it is usually much more vivid than it is in summer.

When the mountain is out, get out there and enjoy it!

Old 10-26-2019, 07:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,632 posts, read 81,333,263 times
This year has definitely been different from most of our 26 years here, but yes, there have always been sun breaks. There have also been periods of as many as 40 days with rain and no sun, in spring. It always cracks me up on the winter commute like next week when people will slow way down and jamb up just due to the sun in their eyes.

This week’s weather is a treat, since it’s still not too cold, great for a hike, or yard work, like getting rid of all the mushrooms on the lawn.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,758 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Depends on your activities / responsibilities.

If you are farmer and just sprayed $300 of mildew protection on your orchard and it rains while you are cleaning your spray rig - you just lost your time, $, and crop. For a librarian, / teacher who can operate 'rain or shine', you likely have a very different perspective..

If you are digging ditches 15 - 20 ft deep for a new sewer line and struggling with climbing out of trenches using ladders in the HEAVY mud, trying to seal wet pipe joints, stuck equipment, and laying on your back in mud... you might have a different perspective than someone who is writing code listening to Pitter-Pat, and claiming, "Hey, it is just drizzling a little... I think I will go out for a little jog at lunch."

If your sheep (livelihood) are sick and lame due to hoof rot, it might be a more major interruption to your life, than if Fido gets a little wet while venturing out for a potty break.

The typical issue is your $10k Cherry crop is superb after a year of pruning / spraying / nursing along, and 2 days before harvest you get a rain and they split and mold and are useless and will cause disease next year if allowed to fall.

Or... You get just the right 10 day stretch where the hay is dry enough to cut, and need to sit 2 days to dry before bailing. Then it rains and ruins it (one year's feed for your cattle). Means you will be BUYING hay all year and driving 5 hrs one way each load to fetch it.

So... We_tern WA is far more suitable for certain members of the community / economy. Weather doesn't phase them at all. They even have a cover to shelter them at the gas station, they are not climbing up a very slippery piece of heavy equipment using an outdoor fuel barrel or service truck (everyday).

Piece of cake or... in Portland speak... Have another brewsky, it will all be fine by next July 5th!

One thing is certain, This yr, this week, or next yr does not establish a trend.

Count on it.

What is really interesting is the variety of impact and difference the weather is across the county. (at any one time)

We get over 100% more precip than PDX, yet only 16 miles away. The other extremes of the county can have similar variation. We have had snow drifts over 30' tall (off the side of house / trees). Doubt Vancouver has had 3ft. more than a few times in history.

IIRC, the correct stats is that Vancouver / Portland have 180 to 200 days / yr with measurable precip, and ~240 days / yr with some period of cloud cover. Totally different effect on various occupations / activities / interests. Those with flexibility (and a roof over their home / job) have a lot of latitude. Cherry growers..., the fruit is ripe ONCE / yr. Save it,or lose it. Feast or famine. (until next yr)

Old 10-26-2019, 09:44 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,142,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Maybe this year is the 'one' exception to all those others. But somehow, I highly doubt it.
Actually this year has been cloudier especially in summer. And last October was so much sunnier than this one.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:46 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,142,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This year has definitely been different from most of our 26 years here, but yes, there have always been sun breaks. There have also been periods of as many as 40 days with rain and no sun, in spring. It always cracks me up on the winter commute like next week when people will slow way down and jamb up just due to the sun in their eyes.

This week’s weather is a treat, since it’s still not too cold, great for a hike, or yard work, like getting rid of all the mushrooms on the lawn.
This year had the cloudiest summer for at least a decade and the snowiest February for 50 years. Weatherwise, previous few years were a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington