Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2020, 09:34 AM

22 posts, read 14,524 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Washington, January 14-22 for our prospective relocation. Our tentative plans are to stay our first 2 nights in Bellingham, then one night in La Conner. After this, we will be exploring Everett, Lake Stevens and Granite Falls areas. Any hotel/B&B recommendations in Everett? Also, we would like to do a short hike each day (two miles) what hikes in any of these areas, would we not want to miss? Additional information: we are 50+ and enjoy microbrews, pubs and occasional fine dining.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 01:05 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Bellingham: Chuckanut Mountain Park | Whatcom County, WA - Official Website

La Conner: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/...park-la-conner

Granite Falls: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbs/...a/?recid=17762

Old 01-02-2020, 01:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
Your general preference for short hikes and microbreweries leads me to believe that you may really, really like the Pacific NW. Especially Bellingham. There are around a dozen breweries in or within a mile of downtown, as well as four cideries and a large number of other tap rooms and beer gardens. Here's a good website for Bham beer information: https://www.taptrail.com/. Skagit County also has a smaller website for their breweries, most of which are not far from Bham, either....

Where are you staying in Bellingham? Just curious. If you need brewery/travel suggestions for things to do or see while you're here, let me know. There are a ton of trails nearby that would likely suit your purposes, with very the loop around Lake Padden, Whatcom Falls, Boardwalk (Taylor Dock/S. Bay Trail from from Fairhaven to Boulevard Park or Downtown), and segments of the Interurban/Larrabee State Park all being must-see leg stretchers that are in or very near city limits.

Can't speak for Everett or Arlington, but when you're in La Conner I'd consider a walk in the nearby Kukutali Preserve, though I actually think the most appealing nearby hikes are on nearby Fidalgo Island, where you could check out Deception Pass, or our favorites, Sharpe Park and Washington Park for great views of Puget Sound and San Juan Islands (and sometimes whales).

Old 01-02-2020, 02:45 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
I think I posted in your other thread that I thought Bellingham might be a good fit for you as you're working from home, can afford our housing, and it offers a lot that you prefer.
I like to "replace" calories when I walk, and can offer a few of my "walk and eat" preferences:

Whatcom falls park, trails span through it and connect several neighborhoods, and then great donuts/ice cream at Lafeen's. The gas station next to them also has a grill inside that makes some tasty Phillies and other hot sandwiches.

Boardwalk/Trails from Fairhaven to Bellingham Marina, Woods Coffee in Boulevard Park, good fish and chips at the Hearthfire or The Loft. You can shorten this up and drive from Boulevard Park to the Marina area and avoid the has-been industrial and homeless camp area(last time I was through there-maybe gone now?) along the waterfront and still get plenty of walking in.

Downtown Bellingham, La Fiamma Wood Fire Pizza and many micro-breweries within walking distance.

And one "custom tailored" being you had mentioned Trader Joes in your other post. Visit the nearby Kulshan Brewery and Twin Sisters Brewery. Kulshan offers a unique experience in that they rotate various food trucks through their lot, must be good because I've seen their parking lot and outdoor seating full despite it being rainy and cold. Twin Sister's brewery is a nice indoor venue, they also have good fish and chips and I think their burgers are hammered steak instead of ground beef.

As for the other places, I'd honestly spend an extra day in La Conner and dump Everett (pun intended), but that's just me.
A couple things to beware, January is our coldest month and we have snow in our forecast, that's subject to change wildly though it could warm up and rain or drop into the single digits if we get the cold NE blast from the Frasier River valley. Lake Padden, Larabee Park and southern portions of the Interurban trail areas are going to be quite the mud pit this time of year unless it's all frozen, but you can always park and check them out and simply cut your walk short if it's too squishy.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the insights. Great links!!!
Our first two nights are in Bellingham (Fairhaven).

Old 01-03-2020, 12:51 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
When you are in La Conner, you could head out on a short drive to Fir Island to see the snow geese and trumpeter swans. They will be in fields, and there are a couple of great bird watching locations with short trails where you can see many other species of birds, including water birds and raptors. These areas do require a Discover Pass to park and hike. The great advantage of visiting in winter is seeing the snow geese and swans.
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/...ildlife-refuge

Old 01-03-2020, 01:25 PM

Thanks so much for sharing this… My husband is an avid birdwatcher and will be delighted to know about this. I sent him the link.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:10 PM

When you are in Granite Falls, you might check out Lake 22. Many of the hikes in that area have long pot-holey gravel roads in, but this hike has an easy-access parking lot. The hike is uphill, and will have snow at the top by the lake at least, so it isn't easy (but moderate) and very popular all year. Wear hiking shoes with good traction and thick soles because of the rocks on the way up, and hiking poles if you need them. You can check trail conditions on the bottom of this page (and trail conditions for any other hike by searching the trail name at WTA): https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/...ake-twenty-two

Old 01-03-2020, 02:16 PM

Also for Granite Falls, the Verlot Ranger Station is a good place to stop in get information on a hike that meets your needs, as well as info. on current trail conditions and passes required: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/a...telprdb5228753

Old 01-03-2020, 08:39 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
I thought about mentioning Fir Island. Along those lines I'd also suggest the Padilla Bay Trail, which is a 2+ mile **** on the water, is also great for birdwatching, is free, and is close to Anacortes and the parks I mentioned earlier. Again, I would definitely consider heading over to the islands if it's a nice day- the Fidalgo and Whidbey scenery is much more dramatic. Also, you may want to check out Anacortes as a relocation spot, not sure why I didn't mention it earlier...

And since your husband is a birdwatcher, let him know that the entire area from the south end of the Chuckanut Mountains on Chuckanut Drive (Hwy 11) at Blanchard down to the Skagit Wildlife Area and west of I-5 (better near the water) is a big, flat wetland, perfect for seeing all kinds of big birds and tons of eagles.

Make sure when you leave Bellingham/Fairhaven, that you take Chuckanut Drive down. I-5 is actually pretty around there, but Chuckanut is gorgeous and takes you along the coast, from mountain cliffs to the flatlands. There's plenty of hiking in Larrabee Park (or walks down to coves and beaches, tidal pools at low tide), and there's also the Taylor Shellfish Farm (amazing) and a number of waterside restaurants (including Chuckanut Manor- we go at HH and out on the patio, if possible). There are also good spots to eat in Edison, which is a super cute, but tiny town (we highly recommend Mariposa for big tacos and amazing rice and beans). You can take Farm-to-Market Rd. or Bayview-Edison Rd. down to LaConner, but just as a random turnoff on that route, there's also a small cluster of breweries at Skagit Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington