Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is your favorite?
Spokane-Spokane Valley 6 28.57%
Kennewick-Richland 3 14.29%
Olympia-Lacey-Tumwater 5 23.81%
Bremerton-Silverdale-Port Orchard 6 28.57%
Yakima 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 03:36 PM

136 posts, read 133,915 times

Advertisements

To all present or former Washingtonians, which metro (250k+) is your favorite and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 10:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Tri cities due to a huge growing population and the best weather in the State.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Vanc-Portland,
2.1m population, reasonably low traffic (compact commute / CBD area), huge parks, much food and beer variety, 25+ colleges within 1 hr, recreation within 10 min, Oregon coast / Mt St Helens / Mt Hood <1 hr

Old 10-30-2020, 11:42 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Maybe Spokane. It's not the most well-kept or attractive place ever, namely on the north and east sides, but it is an actual city with suburbs and distinct neighborhoods. I wouldn't be as bored if I had to move there as I would be in Washington's other non-Seattle metros. The downtown area overlooking the falls and Manito Park (especially the rose garden) are beautiful and I've enjoyed showing friends around there.

Out of these, Olympia is my favorite followed by Bremerton, but I consider those part of the Seattle metro even if they don't technically hit the commuting threshold to be included in the MSA.

Least favorite MSA entirely in WA is the Tri-Cities, followed by Yakima and then Wenatchee. Not my type of scenery, not a lot of foot traffic, and have weak downtowns for their sizes and not very interesting or aesthetically pleasing neighborhoods.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
In our 27 years here, we have spent time in all of those areas but one,Yakima, where we have only been twice, each for just an hour or to. Because we like the combination of woods, water, and access to shopping and food, I selected the Olympia area. In fact our favorite place for breakfast, where we stop any time we are on the way to Oregon or California, is the Farm Boy Restaurant on Maytown Rd., which has room to park even with our travel trailer. Then we always stop in the Olympia/Lacey area for dinner on the way home. We usually drive to Portland 4-5 times a year, California 1-2 times.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:33 PM

499 posts, read 471,380 times
Why isn't Vancouver/Portland on the list?

Old 10-30-2020, 01:13 PM

136 posts, read 133,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Why isn't Vancouver/Portland on the list?
I mainly excluded the Portland metro due to it being anchored by a city in another state, plus it’s over four times larger than the next biggest metro (Spokane).

Old 10-30-2020, 07:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Maybe Spokane. It's not the most well-kept or attractive place ever, namely on the north and east sides, but it is an actual city with suburbs and distinct neighborhoods. I wouldn't be as bored if I had to move there as I would be in Washington's other non-Seattle metros. The downtown area overlooking the falls and Manito Park (especially the rose garden) are beautiful and I've enjoyed showing friends around there.

Out of these, Olympia is my favorite followed by Bremerton, but I consider those part of the Seattle metro even if they don't technically hit the commuting threshold to be included in the MSA.

Least favorite MSA entirely in WA is the Tri-Cities, followed by Yakima and then Wenatchee. Not my type of scenery, not a lot of foot traffic, and have weak downtowns for their sizes and not very interesting or aesthetically pleasing neighborhoods.
Tri cities might not be everyone’s favorite but it has two things going for it. First, the economy is gangbusters with continued growth in both retail and housing, even in a pandemic. Second, seriously it has the best weather in the state as I mentioned above. Dry, sunny, not too cold in the winter. Yes a few 100 degree days but everything is AC’d.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston39 View Post
I mainly excluded the Portland metro due to it being anchored by a city in another state, plus it’s over four times larger than the next biggest metro (Spokane).
Those of us in Vanc - Portland area know that Vancouver existed long before Portland, so Oregon is really just a suburb of our WA Metro area. +/-

Handy if you want to 'change-up' the activities / variety / politics.

Of course we also realize that many think WA State is ONLY Seattle / the Puget Sound area. That is pretty std thought, but I know plenty of WA residents who have never been to Seattle or nearby regions.

Once east of Cascades, most don't consider 'going-to-town' to be 'metro' (as in subways and international airports).

Vancouver BC would be my favorite 'Metro' in the region.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:30 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Yakima, reminds of El Paso or Albuquerque in some areas. Two places I may retire in, I flip a coin at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington