Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

Say that all things were equal and that language barriers weren't as large of a concern, employment opportunities would be equal, and gaining entry into a country of choice was no problem, which cities would constitute as your favorite in the world?

These can be cities that you've already been to and have enjoyed tremendously or cities that you've never stepped foot in but have looked into and found that you may quite possibly like it a lot. You can give an explanation, if you want, but it isn't necessary. A list will do too.

This isn't meant to be taken as a realistic thread because in real life language, ability to gain employment, and ability to immigrate to a country are real impediments but this thread is more of just what cities you enjoy or think you will enjoy without those conditions in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 04:43 PM

27,573 posts, read 28,673,621 times
New York, London and Paris

I have yet to visit any other city that can rival those three for the total urban and cultural experience.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Here are mine in alphabetical order (the ones in bold are in my top 15), by metro area:
- Adelaide
- Albuquerque
- Amsterdam (Randstad)
- Auckland
- Austin
- Bangalore
- Bangkok
- Barcelona
- Berlin
- Birmingham (U.K.)
- Brisbane
- Brussels
- Buenos Aires
- Busan
- Calgary
- Cape Town
- Casablanca
- Copenhagen
- Denver
- Dublin
- Edmonton
- Frankfurt
- Fukuoka
- Geneva
- Haifa
- Hamburg
- Hong Kong
- Honolulu
- Jamshedpur
- Kuala Lumpur
- Las Vegas
- Liverpool
- London
- Madrid
- Manchester (U.K.)
- Melbourne
- Miami
- Minneapolis
- Montreal
- Munich
- Nagoya
- Nashville
- New Orleans
- New York
- Nice
- Osaka
- Orlando
- Oslo
- Ottawa
- Panama City
- Paris
- Perth
- Portland
- Pune
- Rhine-Ruhr Region
- Richmond (Virginia)
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Juan
- Santiago
- Sao Paulo
- Seattle
- Seoul
- Singapore
- Stockholm
- Sydney
- Taipei
- Tampa
- Tel Aviv
- Tokyo
- Toronto
- Tucson
- Valencia
- Vancouver
- Zurich

Some smaller places or resort towns:
- Anchorage, U.S.
- Asheville, U.S.
- Ashland, U.S.
- Bath, U.K.
- Bellingham, U.S.
- Cairns, AUS
- Cancun and Cozumel (both), MEX
- Cardiff, U.K.
- Darwin, AUS
- Flagstaff, U.S.
- Halifax, CAN
- Hilo, U.S.
- Hobart, AUS
- Madison, U.S.
- Monte Carlo, MON
- Monterey Bay Area, U.S.
- Oxford, U.K.
- Quebec City, CAN
- Saint Johns, CAN
- San Luis Obispo, U.S.
- Santa Barbara, U.S.
- Sedona, U.S.
- South Padre, U.S.
- Tasmania, AUS
- Victoria, CAN
- Wellington, N.Z.
- Any nice smalltowns in the United States or British Virgin Islands

^ My Top 100 basically.

I am not very knowledgeable of small cities or resort cities outside of the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia. In the future, in this thread, I will update the small cities list as I discover more.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-23-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
I hate questions like this LOL It's like being given a menu of so many tasty items, some you've tried, some you want to try. Some you wish you had chosen later. Argh.

Places I've tried and could see myself living there....for a time. I'm excluding my hometown, Vancouver of course.

Lyon, France. Wonderful city. Love the location. You can be in the mountains easily, or down on the coast without much trouble. Great food scene and it's clean.

London, UK. I haven't been in over 10 years, but friends go regularly and keep me posted. I love British History ( as well as French ) and I can see myself spending months and months visiting museums, historical places as well as the new modern happenings.

Lisbon, Portugal I haven't been. I know many who have, both Canadians and European friends. All seem to love this city. It's on my list next trip. From what I know, which isn't a lot, I think I would love it there.

New York City I've been. I liked it. To really enjoy living here though, I'd like a large penthouse in Manhattan please. Not sure I'd do well in a cramped studio in SoHo. That said, another city that I could spend days going to museums and shows.

Sydney, Australia Haven't been. Again it's friends etc that either live there or have been there that make me think I could enjoy living there myself.

There are probably many more that I just haven't thought of at the moment.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:17 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times
Here is mine by region:
North America:
Chicago
Santa Monica
Monterrey mexico

South America:
Florianopolis
Buenos Aires
Santiago

Europe
Innsbruck
Barcelona
Cannes

Africa
Cape Town
Marrakech
Dar es Salaam

Middle East:
Tel aviv
Doha
Dubai

Asia
Seoul
Osaka
Hong Kong

Oceania:
Sydney
Camberra
Melbourne

Old 08-24-2016, 03:30 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Tokyo is great in a lot of ways and I enjoyed it, I could never be there more than a few weeks. I was all over Japan and it's a fantastic place, but not somewhere I would ever live. Too alien to what I'm used to.
I never liked New Orleans, New York, San Francisco, Chicago, San Diego, NO WAY.
Rome smelled horrible, Frankfurt wasn't bad, but not for more than a visit, Naples, Sarajevo, Belgrade, Skopje, Pristina, nope.
Orlando, Dallas, Fort Worth, Seattle, Brisbane, Sydney, Honolulu, San Juan, none of them would I ever consider as a place to live.

The only city I would ever consider if I was to move to a city was Savannah, Ga. Lovely place, the historical part of town is second to none.
Too hot in the summer, but the food, the civility, the laid back attitude, just the overall comfort of the place, Savannah is a class all it's own. Loved it there.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:05 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
1. Istanbul, Turkey: Lived there for a year and was the best experience of my life so far. Hands down the most vibrant city I have lived in and the most visually stunning. Perfect mix of old and new, along with amazing cuisine and culture. I also love the cultural extremes the city presents from area to area.

2. London, UK: Short stint living here almost two years ago and am returning there permanently in 2 weeks. When I put together a check list, this is the closest thing to a "perfect" city for me. Once again a beautiful marriage between old and new, a city that respects its past but is also always moving forward. Gorgeous architecture, cultural amenities, cuisine, diversity and infrastructure.

3. Tel Aviv, Israel: The true "city that never sleeps" in my opinion. So vibrant day and night, not overly beautiful architecturally and still very easy on the eyes if that makes sense. I love the people and culture along with the markets and cuisine. Just a city that knows how to have fun.

4. Tokyo, Japan: A hyper stimulating city that definitely turns a lot of people off but I personally find fascinating and exhilarating. I could never get bored of being there or even living there. I love the little hidden bars and the work hard/play hard culture. Everyone just seems to always be "doing something" and I love that part of the culture and city. I also love how big the place is.

5. NYC: Another city I lived in during University and visit often. There is nowhere quite like it on earth. I love that if you name a culture, you can find it, there are zero holes in its diversity and is the most linguistically diverse city on earth which I love. A big city that acts like a big city. Like London has stellar cultural offerings with basically every experience offered without much effort to find it.

Honourable mention: Copenhagen, Berlin, Seoul, Mexico City, Barcelona, Madrid, Beirut, Kingston, Boston, Montreal.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 AM

64 posts, read 57,713 times
Tier A : Tokyo, Dubai, Singapore
Tier B : Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong
Tier C : Shanghai, New York, San Francisco

Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Outside the U.S.:

Lisbon, Portugal
Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
Dublin, Ireland
Wellington, New Zealand
Melbourne, Australia
Bern, Switzerland
Edinburgh, Scotland
London, England
Rome, Italy
Venice, Italy
Prague, Czech Republic
Budapest, Hungary
Montevideo, Uruguay

Last edited by ABQSunseeker; 08-25-2016 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 09-28-2016, 05:52 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
High variety is a key solution to freedom. Even to all of happiness. I want my options, and would never stick to a rigid limitation of where I am able to visit or live. World Traveler, and feel more optimal when around moving around.

My favorite cities right now. All are exactly equal preference technically:
Arbitrary outside of chronological order:

Europe

Milan Lombardia Italy
Innsbruck Tyrol Austria
Paris France
Prague Czech Republic
Vienna Austria
Bratislava Slovakia
Bucharest Romania
Budapest Hungary
Nice French Mediterranean Provence Cote d' Azur France
Stockholm Sweden
Madrid Spain
Lyon Rhone Alpes France
Barcelona Catalonia Spain
Turin Piemonte Italy
Brussels Belgium
Munich Germany
Geneva Switzerland
Krakow Poland
Valencia Spain
Genoa Liguria Italy
San Sebastian Spain
Berlin Germany
Copenhagen Denmark
Riga Latvia
Saint Petersburg Russia
Lisbon Portugal
Moscow Russia
Zagreb Croatia
Timisoara Romania
Rijeka Croatia
Brasov Romania
Ibiza Town Spain
Oporto Portugal
Warsaw Poland
Leipzig Germany
Amsterdam Netherlands
Lille Nord-Pas-De-Calais France
London UK
Dresden Germany
Sibiu Romania
Cluj Napoca Romania
Rome Italy
Trieste Italy
Debrecen Hungary
Strasbourg Alsace France
Toulouse Midi-Pyrenees France
Constanta Romania
Montpellier France
Marseille France
Grenoble Rhone-Alpes France
Zurich Switzerland
Lausanne Switzerland
Chamonix France
Karlovy Vary Czech Republic

In Between Europe And Asia

Baku Azerbaijan
Batumi Georgia
Doha Qatar
Dubai UAE
Tbilisi Georgia
Manama Bahrain
Kuwait City Kuwait
Muscat Oman
Almaty Kazakhstan
Astana Kazakhstan
Tel Aviv Israel

Asia

Shanghai China
Saigon Ho Chi Minh Vietnam
Hong Kong
Taipei Taiwan
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Bangkok Thailand
Hanoi Vietnam
Hoi An Vietnam
Phuket Thailand
Seoul South Korea
Tokyo Japan
Busan South Korea
Kyoto Japan
Kunming Yunnan China
Taichung Taiwan
Kaohsiung Taiwan
Singapore
Macau
Jakarta Indonesia

Americas

San Francisco California USA
New York City USA
Buenos Aires Argentina
Santiago Chile
Sao Paulo Brazil
Lima Peru
Vancouver Canada
Montreal Canada
Toronto Canada
Seattle USA
Portland Oregon USA
Chicago USA

Oceania

Melbourne Australia
Sydney Australia
Brisbane Australia
Gold Coast Australia

More International than Domestic epic adventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World