Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 03:04 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,739,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, the effect of the bill is delayed, and is nowhere near the projected cost as has been discussed. It's the fuel producers passing along their new CO2 tax to the consumers. There is no new tax on gas.

https://www.krem.com/article/news/ve...9-11ac8f8579a7
The C02 tax, is indirectly adding taxes to fuel. As we all well know, the "carbon cap", facing a growing Washington, is where the problems will arise as producers are forced to bid/trade these existing credits. There will not be more credits given as the population in WA grows. It will result in a Washington housing market type scheme for energy, where only the highest paying get to "play" and everyone else can only go zero carbon or go without all-together. Meanwhile, we'll still import foreign goods made from coal power that were shipped half way around the world on container ships burning bunker fuel(heating oil basically).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 05:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
Well I really don’t care about gas prices anymore. I have been shutting down my rideshare delivery business for two reasons. One is hardly anybody is using food delivery in early 2023. Secondly being retired means no commute. I am good.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
In addition, door dash and uber eats are in trouble. Customers are leaning away in droves. The economy is the main reason but the quality of service has been declining, IMO.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:14 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
So, this hadn't really sunk in since I watched it go up incrementally like a frog slowly boiling in water. That is until today when I drove across the river into Oregon for a trip up to Mt. Hood. Then, to my great surprise gas magically dropped in price significantly. I decided I would gas up there before returned to the WA side. I found regular unleaded for $3.60/gal whereas in Vancouver the lowest price is $4.30/gal. Oh, and that's full service so you don't even have to pump it yourself. lol

I know everyone hates on Portland for all the crazy politics over there. Yet, they haven't gone as crazy with their gas tax as WA. Maybe WA gas is just that much better. haha

Derek

Old 05-27-2023, 10:48 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
Vancouver, WA, until fairly recently always had cheaper gas (self-service) than Portland (pump attendant). Oregon's gas tax also paid for Oregon's state park system, and I-5 rest areas.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:45 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Vancouver, WA, until fairly recently always had cheaper gas (self-service) than Portland (pump attendant). Oregon's gas tax also paid for Oregon's state park system, and I-5 rest areas.
I have never ever bought gas cheaper anywhere in WA than I was paying in Oregon.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:05 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,057,631 times
This analysis shows an increase of gas prices of 52 cents a gallon. Worth reading.

https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/pub...-since-co2-tax

Question is why no media coverage?? Right now, it looks like Washington gas price is HIGHER than California due to the carbon tax.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I have never ever bought gas cheaper anywhere in WA than I was paying in Oregon.
Living on the border, I noticed they were very similarly priced depending on the station. Cheapest gas on one side was roughly the same. But not anymore.

Derek

Old 05-28-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
This analysis shows an increase of gas prices of 52 cents a gallon. Worth reading.

https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/pub...-since-co2-tax

Question is why no media coverage?? Right now, it looks like Washington gas price is HIGHER than California due to the carbon tax.
If you travel out of state for business or pleasure, its more noticeable. For example, on a recent business trip to Charleston, SC gas was in the low threes - like $3.15/gal. In Denver near relatives its about the same right now.

While living in CA, we just accepted it was the price we paid to live in a place with better weather than most of the nation. A place where you could walk on the beaches during winter and its 60-70 degrees and sunny out. And summers are never as hot and humid as southern states especially along the coast. I guess WA is paying a premium now to live in the PNW. And of course there's no income tax. So, the tax man has come-a-calling through these other means. It was bound to happen at some point.

WA gov't is strongly encouraging residents to go electric. I'd be lying if I said this didn't affect our recent decision to purchase a hybrid vehicle. They are going to make gas less and less desirable. Time to trade in your gas guzzling monster trucks for a Prius. lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-28-2023 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-28-2023, 10:49 AM

848 posts, read 969,084 times
Unless the tax is going straight to getting the roads up to snuff and keeping them that way, then it can go right to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington