Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is winter in WA something you tolerate, can't stand or enjoy?
I enjoy winter for the most part 16 32.65%
I tolerate winter 21 42.86%
I can't stand winter 12 24.49%
Other 1 2.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 10:59 PM

8,486 posts, read 4,730,381 times

Advertisements

I can tolerate it for a visit, even enjoy it if the aim is skiing. But now that I live in a place with winter, I absolutely cannot stand it. I have a neurological condition which makes it literally painful. It’s extra work I’d never really thought about in the form of shoveling it. That ended up also adding pain when I slipped and tweaked my shoulder. Winter means shelling out extra money for a second wardrobe for winter gear. The trees are barren and it looks like scorched earth especially after a snow - I remember burned out areas in the Sierras looking like that. The evergreens out west at least lent winter less of a desperately dead feel. Speaking of snow, I’m terrified of driving in it, and rather than sensible stuff like sand, I see the damage done to cars by copious use of road salt, which I believe to literally be criminal conduct paid by tax money. I look around at some of my family here (the reason I’m here in the first place) who enjoy this and basically kind of think they’ve got some screws loose.

In short, yeah, there’s nothing I really like about winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 01:05 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I can tolerate it for a visit, even enjoy it if the aim is skiing. But now that I live in a place with winter, I absolutely cannot stand it. I have a neurological condition which makes it literally painful. It’s extra work I’d never really thought about in the form of shoveling it. That ended up also adding pain when I slipped and tweaked my shoulder. Winter means shelling out extra money for a second wardrobe for winter gear. The trees are barren and it looks like scorched earth especially after a snow - I remember burned out areas in the Sierras looking like that. The evergreens out west at least lent winter less of a desperately dead feel. Speaking of snow, I’m terrified of driving in it, and rather than sensible stuff like sand, I see the damage done to cars by copious use of road salt, which I believe to literally be criminal conduct paid by tax money. I look around at some of my family here (the reason I’m here in the first place) who enjoy this and basically kind of think they’ve got some screws loose.

In short, yeah, there’s nothing I really like about winter.
I agree with this 1000 percent.

Winter looks fun in Xmas movies till you have to live thru one.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:06 AM

174 posts, read 132,490 times
I voted "tolerate" bc I'm not fond of winters in the PNW bc of all the dreary rain. I've lived in the Rocky Mtn Region and much prefer those winters--drier, sunny and the cold doesn't bother me. But winter in the PNW rarely gives you a cold, dry, sunny day.

Old 04-03-2023, 11:16 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
Completely agree. So incredibly bad are NW winters.

NYC winters never got to me. Frequent sunny days and constant changes. The rainfall were often entertaining as it came down in buckets instead of the grueling of NW drip drip drip.

Lord help me leave.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:27 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,935 times
lol

Old 04-05-2023, 06:53 PM

1,824 posts, read 797,831 times
The only time I have dreams about Yuma, AZ is during the longgraydrizzlinggraydarkdampgraychillygrayalways cloudygrayoppressivegray PNW winters graygraygray

Old 04-05-2023, 09:09 PM

638 posts, read 348,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Completely agree. So incredibly bad are NW winters.

NYC winters never got to me. Frequent sunny days and constant changes. The rainfall were often entertaining as it came down in buckets instead of the grueling of NW drip drip drip.

Lord help me leave.
Yea I agree.

NYC itself doesn’t have very bad winters. Hardly snows and there might be snow on the ground max 2 weeks at most. Many winters hardly have snow on the ground. More sunlight, fewer cloudy drizzly days, and lower latitude.

By spring time the weather is significantly warmer than Seattle and the summers are much warmer and humid. By the end of this week NYC already pushing 80 degrees.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:05 AM

1,369 posts, read 713,703 times
I have found it is very important to travel to a sunny climate for at least a week during winter. And when it is sunny in the PacNW, go outside IMMEDIATELY… do not finish your task and go in 5 minutes, that sun may be gone.

Besides the dreariness, I appreciate that winter on the coast is quite mild and almost never very cold, but snow and skiing are readily accessible within an hour’s drive.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:07 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
I voted "tolerate" bc I'm not fond of winters in the PNW bc of all the dreary rain. I've lived in the Rocky Mtn Region and much prefer those winters--drier, sunny and the cold doesn't bother me. But winter in the PNW rarely gives you a cold, dry, sunny day.
+1. One of these environments that doesn't get a ton of snow that requires shoveling and plowing is a winner.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:32 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
And when it is sunny in the PacNW, go outside IMMEDIATELY… do not finish your task and go in 5 minutes, that sun may be gone.
Unless you're performing brain surgery. Then finish the task first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: