Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 01:13 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And you will be giggling with delight as your grocery prices soar and anything that has been shipped anywhere (which is absolutely everything you buy) goes up greatly in price?

Your vision of a great America is the entire population stuffed into huge high rise buildings in the middle of vast empty areas where no person ever goes?

Is it some how difficult to understand that things that might work inside a big city might not work elsewhere? It must be one of those things that is incomprehensible because none of those city folks seem to be able to grasp the concept.
This, big this! I WFH and we only fill up the car twice a month transporting kids to/from. Unfortunately round trip is too far for an EV and we can't afford one because this state already takes a total tax load of 13.4% of my income. Then, when the Snake River dams are breached.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 05:19 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I agree with Stealth here.

Self-sufficiency isn't just about arming yourself and growing your own vegetables. It is about reducing your reliance on fossil fuels that have to be imported or shipped down from Alaska via monopolies controlled by enormous multi-national corporations.

EVs are one tool for doing that. But they are just a tool and probably not the most important one. EVs are really more about saving the car industry than saving the planet.
The car industry giants including American manufacturers have gone all-in on EVs and are doubling down building new plants. Whether this makes America great again or simply saves the US auto industry is still to be seen. But it does present an opportunity for US companies and all the factory jobs that go along with it. Though they could certainly screw it up like they have before and lose out to foreign competition. But through providing incentives for US car purchases, it does offer some perks if done well. For example, the 2024 Chevy Equinox slated to arrive soon, cloud be the first (relatively) affordable EV given to the federal tax incentive. Then add state incentives and it could drop below $20k. This will be a hot seller as long as they don't royally screw up its reliability. That, of course, has happened before.

2024 Chevy Equinox Could Be Most Affordable Electric Car

I also agree we should be exploring other sources of fuel without some of the problems that EVs have like disposal issues associated with old batteries. Or the environmental impact of current high capacity battery production.

Hydrogen, ethanol, biodiesel, etc... should all be explored. Heck, why not check out Stealth's local moonshine brew? It could do wonders for your next ride. I wonder what the base ingredient is? Is that even legal? Instead of pot growers we'll have backwoods fuel breweries. Watch as local brewers go runnin' for the hills! haha US energy companies would probably find a way to stop it if it ever caught on. lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-22-2023 at 05:31 PM..

Old 06-22-2023, 05:55 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
This, big this! I WFH and we only fill up the car twice a month transporting kids to/from. Unfortunately round trip is too far for an EV and we can't afford one because this state already takes a total tax load of 13.4% of my income. Then, when the Snake River dams are breached.....
Same. The only time I drive is to either pull my boat or toy hauler so ya, I have a big truck. The electric trucks aren't yet an option because their range towing sucks.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:46 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hydrogen, ethanol, biodiesel, etc... should all be explored. Heck, why not check out Stealth's local moonshine brew? It could do wonders for your next ride. I wonder what the base ingredient is? Is that even legal? Instead of pot growers we'll have backwoods fuel breweries. Watch as local brewers go runnin' for the hills! haha US energy companies would probably find a way to stop it if it ever caught on. lol

Derek
It is probably ethanol.

Hydrogen is interesting and Toyota has hydrogen cars that they are rolling out in California. https://www.toyota.com/mirai/

But EVs have one ENORMOUS advantage over hydrogen in that you can refill them in your garage or anyplace you can find electricity. Hydrogen requires a very capital-intensive fuel transport system.

EVs are also superior mechanically because they have far fewer moving parts and the electric motors are basically just very sophisticated electromagnets. Alcohol fuel cars have all the same mechanical complexities as gasoline cars. You need lubricants and far more moving parts.

Hydrogen is a weird kind of hybrid where they burn the hydrogen to generate electricity to power the car with electric motors. So sort of works like a train locomotive. I don't know much about them

Old 06-23-2023, 02:30 PM

Hydrogen has merit, but the problem is half of the vehicle would have to be a giant hydrogen tank compressed to 3000PSI to have any range=giant bomb. "News today, the 58 people killed adjacent to a minor accident involving an HPV which exploded have been identified by dental records...."
It makes more sense and safety to produce electricity with hydrogen somewhere remote/fixed and power a standard BEV.

Old 06-23-2023, 02:45 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-legislation/

"Gov. Jay Inslee’s office said it is too soon to accurately assess the price impact of the state’s climate policies. “No one would be surprised, however, if oil companies experiencing record profits are choosing to pass their compliance costs to customers — sometimes even for fuels that are exempt under the law,” said Jaime Smith, Inslee’s executive director of communications, in a written statement."

So? If Inslee is mad at the oil companies for passing on the fees to the consumer, that doesn't help us out in any way.

Again, this is similar to Inslee's comment about this causing gas prices to increase by "pennies". He and his cronies are either stupid, or are lying, when they try to tell us that this gas price hike was unexpected.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:22 PM

Oil companies have to bid on the carbon credits, and of course they are passing on that expense. With available carbon credits capped, it's only going to go up.
Everyone is getting hit, even farmers and other off-road uses that are supposed to have access to tax exempt fuel....

Old 06-24-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It is probably ethanol.

Hydrogen is interesting and Toyota has hydrogen cars that they are rolling out in California. https://www.toyota.com/mirai/

But EVs have one ENORMOUS advantage over hydrogen in that you can refill them in your garage or anyplace you can find electricity. Hydrogen requires a very capital-intensive fuel transport system.

EVs are also superior mechanically because they have far fewer moving parts and the electric motors are basically just very sophisticated electromagnets. Alcohol fuel cars have all the same mechanical complexities as gasoline cars. You need lubricants and far more moving parts.
Here's a new trend and option for folks who don't want to go out and buy a new Tesla or another EV. Watch this business to grow. I'm seeing more and more it already.

Holley Now Sells Bolt-On Kit To Tesla Swap Vintage Chevy C10 Pickups

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-24-2023 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-24-2023, 11:01 AM

Here's a 1965 Ford Pickup conversion.

Old 06-24-2023, 12:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Here's a new trend and option for folks who don't want to go out and buy a new Tesla or another EV. Watch this business to grow. I'm seeing more and more it already.

Holley Now Sells Bolt-On Kit To Tesla Swap Vintage Chevy C10 Pickups

Derek
What is the point other than nostalgia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington