Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 08:48 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
TRIPLED in 15 years? I don't buy it.

What city do you live in?

I live in Camas next to Vancouver in Clark County which has seen a lot of growth and appreciation in the past 15 years. We've only lived in this home for 8 years but I looked up the tax records on the county web site.

In 2008 taxes were $6,830
In 2013 taxes were 8,820

That is a 29% increase in 15 years, not a 300% increase.
It looks like your increase was 29% in 5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 02:50 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
300-400% is par for much of western WA over the past ~15 years.
I have gone and looked at our assessors site at all the family & friends that have owned long time are all up anywhere from 3-5+ times evaluation in the 90's and 2000's.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
300-400% is par for much of western WA over the past ~15 years.
I have gone and looked at our assessors site at all the family & friends that have owned long time are all up anywhere from 3-5+ times evaluation in the 90's and 2000's.
Ours is up over 10x since y2k.

As previously mentioned, a 1972 rental mobile home just jumped 350.6% this yr alone. Can't tell me any buyers are interested in buying something you have to pay to have removed at that price. Demolition costs are very high due to hazardous materials. 50 yrs of freezing rain and 80mph winds are not kind to mobile homes (or any home).

County explanation of 350.6% increase in one yr... "We changed our formula". Wish I could change mine! No wage income since 2004.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It looks like your increase was 29% in 5 years?
Typo. I meant 2023 not 2013 so yes, 15 years.

Old 10-27-2023, 09:18 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ours is up over 10x since y2k.

As previously mentioned, a 1972 rental mobile home just jumped 350.6% this yr alone. Can't tell me any buyers are interested in buying something you have to pay to have removed at that price. Demolition costs are very high due to hazardous materials. 50 yrs of freezing rain and 80mph winds are not kind to mobile homes (or any home).
The value of the physical structure isn't important if the owner can replace it with a giant new house. The value is in potential. Location location location.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:18 PM

It's very simple to compare similar homes in a tract built at the same time with a high degree of certainty

The problem properties with wide differences in opinion of value are the most difficult.

It only takes one outlier sale to affect everyone even if later proved to be over the top the damage is done.

Spending year after year fighting valuations take a toll

Just about every other aspect of taxes in America is based on real numbers and not opinions of value

Old 10-28-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
The value of the physical structure isn't important if the owner can replace it with a giant new house. The value is in potential. Location location location.
It's my "improvements" that changed valuation 350.6% (with no improvement, only more wear and tear).

My dirt (location) only went from $358,000, to $514,000, due to a local dirt sale, on a property that a home can not be built on. That buyer was from out of USA, and has placed the property back for sale since the application for permits was denied. No bites.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:24 PM

^^^. Similar here.

Buyer was from California and bought beautiful Salt Water acerage at a price locals couldn't believe...

The guy planned to subdivide and make a fortune...

He gave up after a few years because no way could he get approval but damage was done... Assessor used that sale to jack up everyone's value...

At best that property might have one build site far removed from the water...

Someone with evil intentions and money could really have fun paying big money for a plot of land because the Assessor will raise everyone's based on that sale...

Old 10-28-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^. Similar here.

Buyer was from California and bought beautiful Salt Water acerage at a price locals couldn't believe...

The guy planned to subdivide and make a fortune...

Someone with evil intentions and money could really have fun paying big money for a plot of land because the Assessor will raise everyone's based on that sale...
or... an inside job.... (Yes it even happens in the USA)

The vast majority of our local Land Use Attorneys / Permit consultants came from county planning staff, or the project managers who built the connections of how to feather their nest to get results. It's a big and profitable business and lifetime wealth building benefit.

Not impossible to think this could happen to 'grow' the local tax revenues.

Just imagine the benefit of valuation increases of 100 props. 1,000 props, 10,000 props. (That's some significant green)

Old 10-28-2023, 05:41 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Chelan County, thinks the house is worth $516,000 dollars!!!
Quote:
Maybe you should get a western WA addy to send your assessment to. The assessor might have an algorithm to increase assessments sent to local zips more than distant zips. (That would be counterproductive to keeping his gravy job).
Not with western Washington landowners voting in Chelan County. Plus they have the money to contribute to local politicians.

Best estimate is 50% of the homes, and over 60% of the private land is owned by out-of-county residents. That does NOT include western Washington residents that have moved over here in recent years.

"We have the best government money can buy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
What does zillow say?

$360,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Did you have a townwide or countywide reassessment? What was your percentage of increase compared to the average, or to the grand list as a whole?
Assessments are county wide and updated every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
So, how much is ur tax? (For comparison purposes, only.)
Don't know under the new assessment. My assessment went up much more than my neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
The amount of land probably makes a pretty big difference in more rural areas, often more than the value of the home sitting on it. And if there has been any nearby rezoning, the value can go up even if you've not made any improvements.
Land value did not go up. Stayed the same. Same with neighbors, ONLY the house value went up. NO IMPROVEMENTS on my property.

Quote:
or... an inside job.... (Yes it even happens in the USA)

The vast majority of our local Land Use Attorneys / Permit consultants came from county planning staff, or the project managers who built the connections of how to feather their nest to get results. It's a big and profitable business and lifetime wealth building benefit.
The other business opportunity is to raise assessments to get people to sell out. Those are usually scams run across long-term, older residents who sell in a panic because they can't afford the taxes.

At 73 and 40 year resident I definitely fit in that category.

Trip to the Assessors Office on Monday.

Last edited by 509; 10-28-2023 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington