Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Looking to purchase a future retirement house in Bellingham. Any recommendations on a particular neighborhood I should check out?
What is your price range for homes? Do you want waterfront? How far are you willing to commute for provisions?

Those are factors

Do you want a view like this?

Or one like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
First of all, Maple Falls is 30 miles from Bham. Custer...less than 10. and in the winter that MF drive can get nasty.

There is a strong contingent of Russian Mafia near MF.

Custer sounds like a better choice then.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
What is your price range for homes? Do you want waterfront? How far are you willing to commute for provisions?

Those are factors

Do you want a view like this?

Or one like this?
Our range is not more than $350,000 and there seems to be a ton of homes to pick from from the $250,000 - $350,000 range. Don't think this price range will give me waterfront but near or a peekaboo view would be nice to the lake which is why I thought Silver Lake might be a good choice. We are also looking into Ferndale which is only 15 drive outside of Bellingham. A lot more for your money but not sure if I will like it. Never been there before.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
We are also looking into Ferndale which is only 15 drive outside of Bellingham. A lot more for your money but not sure if I will like it. Never been there before.
Actually Ferndale is about 10 minutes tops. More conservative than Bham. Good schools.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Custer sounds like a better choice then.
I just noticed Custer on the map and actually there is a great house we are going to look at in that area at an incredible price.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I just noticed Custer on the map and actually there is a great house we are going to look at in that area at an incredible price.
What is the price? Size of house?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,618 times
In reply to jojo7,and Stingray427: Geneva,and "Silver BEACH",are close to the city,are close to Lake Whatcom,higher priced. Ok. "If you can afford them",have a boat,it would be great. "Silver Lake",on the other hand,is nowhere near Bellingham. It's close to the Oregon border,and Olympia. Bill Loney must not live in Maple Falls.There are almost no houses to purchase "in Maple Falls",you need to buy in "Paradise,or Peaceful Valley"."It's 'close to' Maple Falls."But a lot warmer,able to get to town all year,a bus runs here all year. Russian Mafia ? eh ? I can't find any, what are you talking about ? I heard a lot of stupid false rumors about it before I moved here too.Those people don't live here,and it is not true.My daughter,with her 3 children have been here for years,we aren't Russian,or "foreign" either.It is a 45 minute Drive to the Big City of Bellingham, but Custer is a long ways out there too.(In the sticks) I have a friend that lives in a trailer park in Geneva. It's "expensive". But being close "basically in town",you save on gas.Silver Beach is very close to Geneva,same thing,expensive. But It's not the highest price place to purchase,as Bill Stated. The freeway is close to Custer,but,no bus,and it's a good 30-45 minutes to Bellingham,also. My Uncle,and Grandparents,and Parents,used to live there. Lots of Farming area there. You should just take a trip here,and see. The question would be,are there any houses for sale in Custer,a "very small town". The houses in Paradise or Peaceful Valley are inexpensive,low taxes,no city septic to pay.Lots are available for very good prices,if you want to build,or put in a Manufactured home.Kids ride their bicycles around all day,it's "off the main road". I can't say too much,the moderator claims I was "advertising",but I don't "work for anybody,and I'm not trying to "sell anything",just "fully describe the area". Most places here are under $100,000. Lots with power,septic,water,$15,000. If you want to spend $200,000-$500,000,you may prefer closer to the bay. Still I would recommend looking at this area,you could "build to suit",but you can't have a good view of the bay from here,or even a lake,just trees.

Last edited by Paulx; 02-09-2012 at 05:13 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx View Post
In reply to jojo7,and Stingray427: Geneva,and "Silver BEACH",are close to the city,are close to Lake Whatcom,higher priced. Ok. "If you can afford them",have a boat,it would be great. "Silver Lake",on the other hand,is nowhere near Bellingham.It's close to the Oregon border,and Olympia.
Oh really? It's right near Maple Falls. And you claim to live in Maple Falls? ha ha

Silver Lake Park, Maple Falls, Whatcom County Washington: camping, boating, hiking, picnicking (http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/parks/silverlake/silverlake.jsp - broken link)

Quote:
Bill Loney must not live in Maple Falls.
I most certainly do not. And obviously neither do you.

Quote:
There are almost no houses to purchase "in Maple Falls",
Apparently the folks at Windermere Real Estate didn't get the memo.

I just did a "map" search and came up with 30 properties.

Quote:
Russian Mafia ? eh ? I can't find any, what are you talking about ? I heard a lot of stupid false rumors about it before I moved here too.
I suggest checking the property crime rates in the area where you plan to move. The proof is in the pudding.

Quote:
It is a 45 minute Drive to the Big City of Bellingham, but Custer is a long ways out there too.(In the sticks)
Custer is 13 miles from Bellingham. It is rural, but not very far.

Quote:
I have a friend that lives in a trailer park in Geneva.
I believe that.

Quote:
The freeway is close to Custer,but,no bus,and it's a good 30-45 minutes to Bellingham,also.
Unless you're riding a sloth, it's max 20 minutes.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx View Post
In reply to jojo7,and Stingray427: Geneva,and "Silver BEACH",are close to the city,are close to Lake Whatcom,higher priced. Ok. "If you can afford them",have a boat,it would be great. "Silver Lake",on the other hand,is nowhere near Bellingham. It's close to the Oregon border,and Olympia. Bill Loney must not live in Maple Falls.There are almost no houses to purchase "in Maple Falls",you need to buy in "Paradise,or Peaceful Valley"."It's 'close to' Maple Falls."But a lot warmer,able to get to town all year,a bus runs here all year. Russian Mafia ? eh ? I can't find any, what are you talking about ? I heard a lot of stupid false rumors about it before I moved here too.Those people don't live here,and it is not true.My daughter,with her 3 children have been here for years,we aren't Russian,or "foreign" either.It is a 45 minute Drive to the Big City of Bellingham, but Custer is a long ways out there too.(In the sticks) I have a friend that lives in a trailer park in Geneva. It's "expensive". But being close "basically in town",you save on gas.Silver Beach is very close to Geneva,same thing,expensive. But It's not the highest price place to purchase,as Bill Stated. The freeway is close to Custer,but,no bus,and it's a good 30-45 minutes to Bellingham,also. My Uncle,and Grandparents,and Parents,used to live there. Lots of Farming area there. You should just take a trip here,and see. The question would be,are there any houses for sale in Custer,a "very small town". The houses in Paradise or Peaceful Valley are inexpensive,low taxes,no city septic to pay.Lots are available for very good prices,if you want to build,or put in a Manufactured home.Kids ride their bicycles around all day,it's "off the main road". I can't say too much,the moderator claims I was "advertising",but I don't "work for anybody,and I'm not trying to "sell anything",just "fully describe the area". Most places here are under $100,000. Lots with power,septic,water,$15,000. If you want to spend $200,000-$500,000,you may prefer closer to the bay. Still I would recommend looking at this area,you could "build to suit",but you can't have a good view of the bay from here,or even a lake,just trees.
Thanks for the info and your input. I keep hearing that Maple Falls is high crime but mainly Russian Mafia. Must be that alot of people don't want other people moving in so they bad talk the place. One would have to look up crime stats to confirm the crime rate in Custer and Maple Springs as to types of crimes, crimes against property or people. I like the idea of rural living because I have lived in a city all of my life with people everywhere. I will never die of loneliness here. We just have a population problem here

Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,370 times
Default UMmm...

I have never been to washington... but i have looked at the prices to live in the bellingham area (maple falls, ect) and compared to what we spend out here in Massachusetts, it seems great. In MA, we are known as TAXachusetts... we work and work and they take and take and the rent and utilities continue to soar upwards... Like I said, i;ve never been to washington, but i am excited to move there blindle and leave this hell of a state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington