Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 60,748 times

Advertisements

I've found myself in a place where I am able to move where ever I like now...I have always lived in the Southeast but have dreamed of a move to the Northwest. I am a teacher and am not too concerned about finding a job. I love the outdoors and mountains....I'd also like to live somewhere that has REAL seasons. I love the small town feel of places but don't want to be too far from the city. Any ideas? What would be the best schools for me to work at or have my child attend. P.S. not too keen on a lot of rain. Sorry, but you guys are known for that.

Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 12:57 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Hi Laura! Being a former teacher (but not having taught for years), there are many good school districts in and around Seattle. I have my reservations right now about the Seattle School District itself but I don't want to express too many negatives about that district here on this board (afterall, I attended school decades ago in Seattle public schools!) without presenting both the pro and cons.

To experience a "small town feel," you'll probably have to move out of the metropolitan area and its burbs. Two of my favorite small towns that still have the "feel" but are still relatively close are Snoqualmie and Carnation. You can explore other small towns too but those are my personal favorites. There's a thread on Gold Bar in Snohomish County currently on this board but you're getting further away from the metro areas too.

And, you said it, if you are not too keen on a lot of rain, then ...well, stay inside?? ...because, yes, that's what the area is know for! Now Tony and others, don't get on me too hard for that comment!

--'rocco

Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 PM

139 posts, read 1,217,206 times
Rocco, I have never denied the dampness of Seattle/W. Washington. Seattle isn't the Emerald City for nothing right or Washington the Evergreen State. I agree Snoqualmie and Carnation are two towns I would look into I don't know to much about Gold Bar though.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:54 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,436 times
Don't forget about Eastern Washington which is the dry side of the state and gets a true four-season climate. There are small towns on the outskirts of Spokane that you might like that would be within 45 minutes drive into the city.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 31,134 times
Try Colville in Northeastern Washington, on highway 395. It is a town or 5,000, with excellent school system, and surrounded by beautiful mountains. The people are the friendliest you will ever meet. Its a Quiet, laid back little town, and just 1 1/2 hour drive to Spokane Washington. The weather is beautiful year round, with medium winters, and not to much rain. You can't go wrong with Colville.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESMC View Post
I've found myself in a place where I am able to move where ever I like now...I have always lived in the Southeast but have dreamed of a move to the Northwest. I am a teacher and am not too concerned about finding a job. I love the outdoors and mountains....I'd also like to live somewhere that has REAL seasons. I love the small town feel of places but don't want to be too far from the city. Any ideas? What would be the best schools for me to work at or have my child attend. P.S. not too keen on a lot of rain. Sorry, but you guys are known for that.

Laura
I'm from eastern WA, from a town that gets less than 10" of rain, and I'd say you may like it, but be aware that the trees are mostly pine trees and so you won't see the beautiful colors of the seasonal changes like you do back east. But, if this is alright, you would probably like it. You can definitely find places with that small town feel, particularly in the small mountain towns with trees (cause if it's in eastern WA, if you aren't up a couple thousand feet of elevation, there are barely any trees, mostly just rolling hills)

Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,024 times
You may want to look into the Medford/Ashland areas of Oregon. Less rain, beautiful area. SW Oregon may be up your alley, but tends to be expensive.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Quote:
not too keen on a lot of rain.
Really? Seriously? Then no, WA is not for you.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,150 times
Try looking at Mukilteo, WA. It is a great town right on the water with fantastic beaches and a small town, yet sophisticated feel. It has a historic lighthouse and a great ferry system. My friends and I go down to the Mukilteo State Park beach every weak and have campfires and roast hot dogs. It also has one of the best school districts in Western Washington and you would not have a problem finding a job within the school district. As for your concern with the rain in Washington, the total annual rainfall is not a problem, but it is the average annual days with rain that discourages most people. The Seattle region only recieves about 37 inches of rain annualy, which is far less than the average annual rainfall totals of New York City, Boston, Houston, and even Miami! But one of the benefits of all the rain is that it all falls as powdery snow in the mountains which makes for world class skiing!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:30 PM

45 posts, read 173,968 times
You sound like a Colorado girl to me. Why not check out the Denver/Boulder area? Lots of sun, 4 seasons, gorgeous mountains, and unlimited outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington