Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Washington: relocation to usa, teaching degree, university, education, housing.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 AM

7 posts, read 12,288 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the Oregon forum as well.

I'm a American woman who has been living in Stockholm, Sweden for the past 9 years. Originally I am from Southern CA but Oregonians/Washingtonians please don't hold that against me, as I can understand now what you talk about on these forums after living abroad for some time. As much as I do like living here in lovely, peaceful Sweden I am considering moving back to the US in the next year or so. I will not be moving back to CA though for many reasons and started to look into Oregon or Washington state. I have visited both in the past although it was over 10 years and like most places things can change considerably in that time.
I don't necessarily have a criteria per se as I don't have children, I do however work in the education field. I have a teaching degree from a university here and am currently studying for a degree in Guidance-Career Counseling. This will afford me more employment opportunities in both school systems as well as private recruiting or Human Resources. I am open to many suggestions of places to live in either state. I would like to live somewhat near a larger or fair sized city but still be surrounded by nature. Also, I am pretty open minded which doesn't mean political, just that I accept others ideas and opinions and would like to live around like minded people.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Both states are beautiful places and both have a need for talented teachers so you will find a comfortable home in either. Washington has a much larger population with several large cities while still having its share of attractive small towns. Washington does not have an income tax but does have a high sales tax and fuel taxes. Once you state some preferences you will get a few suggestions here.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
If you have been in Sweden ten years I honestly don't see how you will be able to handle any place in America, even Washington. You will not believe what has become of your home country. It's one thing to read about it and another to live it. You read about it and hope that what you're seeing are extreme cases. Then you get here and find out that it's all gone mainstream.

I'm careful what books I check out at libraries.

I watch what words I slip into an e-mail. It's not sufficient for a discussion to be completely innocent.

We recently considered hosting a high school exchange student from Saudi. One factor in our decision was that I didn't want to end up on a watch list, nor have some Federal jack-donkeys bothering me.

Used to like flying. Now I do it only when I absolutely must, and when I do I mentally prepare as for a short stay in prison--because that's what it is.

Want to be stopped by the Border Patrol? You don't have to cross any border. They're stopping average people on ferries and in southern AZ.

Mentality? Never in my life has there been more social pressure to make outward demonstrations of patriotism.

Education? Gotten worse and worse. Dumber and dumber. It's to the point where the populace is collectively too dumb to realize how dumb it is. We were faced with an impending retirement and medical cost balloon. How'd we handle it? We cut taxes for the rich, launched an expensive war that will create a vast future burden for the VA, started using expensive mercenaries, and created a new Federal bureaucracy. Would any sane people allow such a thing? No. Only people who can't add would do it. We can't add.

If you can't stand Sweden and want to go elsewhere, that I understand. I just don't see why it would be here, unless you feel entrepreneurial. We do still allow lots of opportunity for avarice, that I'll grant. If you're coming to see again good old America, sorry. It's gone.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 PM

Thank you both for your responses.

I do understand your posting, J_k_k and agree with a deal of it, though I would rather not get into politics here. My reasoning for leaving Sweden is not because I dislike it, in fact I like it very much here mostly. It is because my parents are older, also it being so very dark here in the wintertime. I don't mind cold weather, rain, clouds or snow, it is the darkness that is a killer here and this lasts for several months.

I've thought of moving to a more southern positioned EU country since I now have dual American-Swedish citizenship and can live and work throughout Europe but that doesn't bring me closer to my parents. Also aside from the UK or the Republic of Ireland (which I have visited both but decided against) I didn't want to go about learning another foreign language at this time.

I have been back to the US for visits many times over the years since moving here so I have seen some of the changes that have ocurred both politically as well as socially. It saddens me greatly but I feel that I need to move closer to my parents who live in Southern CA. They have done so much for me I want to be there (or nearer) for them. I do like to visit CA however I wouldn't want to live there anymore and this is not just due to cost of living. It is primarily overcrowding, general attitude, lack of "real" nature or seasons.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:05 PM

Well, I have to respect anyone willing to take the bullet in order to care for their parents. I hope they value you as greatly as they should.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:32 PM

Thank you, J_k_k.

I do feel that they value me and I also appreciate your candor even if I don't want to get into a political discussion on this forum. Have you ever been to Sweden? You would fit in nicely here.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:30 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
If you have been in Sweden ten years I honestly don't see how you will be able to handle any place in America, even Washington. You will not believe what has become of your home country. It's one thing to read about it and another to live it. You read about it and hope that what you're seeing are extreme cases. Then you get here and find out that it's all gone mainstream.

I'm careful what books I check out at libraries.

I watch what words I slip into an e-mail. It's not sufficient for a discussion to be completely innocent.

We recently considered hosting a high school exchange student from Saudi. One factor in our decision was that I didn't want to end up on a watch list, nor have some Federal jack-donkeys bothering me.

Used to like flying. Now I do it only when I absolutely must, and when I do I mentally prepare as for a short stay in prison--because that's what it is.

Want to be stopped by the Border Patrol? You don't have to cross any border. They're stopping average people on ferries and in southern AZ.

Mentality? Never in my life has there been more social pressure to make outward demonstrations of patriotism.

Education? Gotten worse and worse. Dumber and dumber. It's to the point where the populace is collectively too dumb to realize how dumb it is. We were faced with an impending retirement and medical cost balloon. How'd we handle it? We cut taxes for the rich, launched an expensive war that will create a vast future burden for the VA, started using expensive mercenaries, and created a new Federal bureaucracy. Would any sane people allow such a thing? No. Only people who can't add would do it. We can't add.

If you can't stand Sweden and want to go elsewhere, that I understand. I just don't see why it would be here, unless you feel entrepreneurial. We do still allow lots of opportunity for avarice, that I'll grant. If you're coming to see again good old America, sorry. It's gone.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion but I would say it is much more negative than the majority of people in this forum. This is not the place for a discussion of the issues you percieve.

None of the many people I know and deal with see the country in the dismal way that you do.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Sweden View Post
Thank you, J_k_k.

I do feel that they value me and I also appreciate your candor even if I don't want to get into a political discussion on this forum. Have you ever been to Sweden? You would fit in nicely here.
I probably wouldn't fit in, though I do speak a little Swedish. I think Sweden would be to the other far extreme for me. But I think there's a lot to respect about Sweden, its history and its values.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
You are certainly welcome to your opinion but I would say it is much more negative than the majority of people in this forum. This is not the place for a discussion of the issues you percieve.

None of the many people I know and deal with see the country in the dismal way that you do.
The OP is considering returning. I chose to prepare her for the changes that have occurred as I have seen them occur. That is fully relevant to the concept of moving here.

What it is not the place for is a debate over whether or not I'm right, nor will I engage in one. You also made your point and said that I'm in the minority, and that's just as germane. The OP can now decide what she believes and make her choices as she sees fit.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:51 AM

In WA state (I say this because I also posted my first message on the OR forum too) aside from Seattle what are other areas that would be something to consider? I would like to be near a city of sorts because of better employment options and would preferably like it to be milder in climate, not too hot in the summertime though warm would be nice. Since I've lived here in Sweden for some time I am used to clouds and rain so that isn't an issue for me anymore. I am open to many suggestions and definitions of city vary so really anything that isn't considered a town is an option at this point. Thanks again. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington