Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:54 PM

165 posts, read 1,024,646 times

Advertisements

First of all, how do you pronounce "Sequim?" :-)

I thought I want to move to a Portland suburb i.e. Scappoose, St. Helens, maybe even south into McMinnville, but I'm told the reasonably educated, maybe somewhat liberal folks are not to be found there. I'm told I can get that either directly into Portland or Seattle, but I don't want to live in a city. I'm looking for a small town or small town feel, but with some culture and hopefully some diversity. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 03:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Pronounce it " Skwim", as in " sink or skwim."

Old 10-04-2008, 11:21 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
"Some culture...reasonably educated...somewhat liberal...small town feel...some diversity..." Hmmmm....

Sequim is pretty. And has half the annual rainfall of Seattle. And is more liberal than Portland, or probably anywhere in Oregon as most of western Washington is a fair bit more liberal than most of Oregon. Has a small town feel. Is not notably educated or culture-oriented. And has little diversity, if by that you mean ethnic. However, Port Townsend is close to Sequim and has a bit more diversity, but I wouldn't say it necessarily has a more educated population.

You might find the kind of town you're looking for on Whidbey Island. Or Poulsbo or Gig Harbor. Or on Vashon Island or Bainbridge Island. I would recommend those places as, I think, coming much closer to your wants list. Wonderful places to live.

What do you mean by "Sunland"? I don't know that name. If you mean the rain shadow, areas which receive less rain than most else of western Washington, almost all of Whidbey Island is partiallly in the rain shadow.

Where are you going to work? That is critical in determining where to live, as commuting can take an awful lot of time out of your life each day.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Look at the profile of the town and if it is a rural 'mill / factory' town, you will likely find more blue collar residents, and possibly a less diverse attitude. The smaller and more remote the town, the more pronounced this often is. On the other hand having a college or two in a rural town or in near proximity CAN be a big plus for rural towns. Of the towns you mentioned McMinnville is quite diverse, tho the college has religious roots. You might be happier near Corvallis or Eugene. Newberg or Forest Grove would be a choice closer to Portland. For WA I would look to Poulsbo or Bellingham area on west side ( + there are probably some liberal towns near Olympia or Tacoma), Ellensburg, Wenatchee, Walla Walla, or Cheney on the east side.

Having spanned the OR WA border for 25 yrs, and been to most places in each state, I would tend to say western OR and Bend are more liberal than WA, but in general OR is much more radical and pronounced in their stance as compared to WA. You seldom get chastised in WA for expressing a different opinion, but in OR you con be in big trouble if you don't comply with the view of a liberal (While in liberal territory). WA seems to be considerably more tolerant of all views, and not ramming anyone in particular down your throat.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Sunland is a golf course community two miles north of Sequim with houses around it.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:59 PM

576 posts, read 2,260,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
What do you mean by "Sunland"? I don't know that name.
Probably the subdivisions toward Dungeness that go by that name- which are advertised as being right smack in the cosmic center of the "blue hole".

Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 AM

291 posts, read 948,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Sunland is a golf course community two miles north of Sequim with houses around it.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Sunland is like Ira said, the name of the golf course. It is half way between Dungeness and Sequim. I don't know if you would find all that you are looking for there. It probably has a tight knit feel due to the exclusivity of living in the golf course community though. I have been to Sequim a couple times and I liked what little I saw. It is one of my choices to move to next year. For myself, there are other factors that I have to take into consideration. I need to be close to a hospital for my work, and a school for my wife's work. I also had to consider the housing costs. The area you mentioned, Sunland is a bit too pricey for me. It is not as expensive as say Seattle or Portland, but it is not cheap either. Do you have any other criteria? You have the attention of some of the top posters already answering your questions. Ask away. I am sure they will be able to help you. My opinions are biased towards all of the PNW. I want to live there in the worst way. I have been out and around WA about ten times and I am limited in facts. The above posters can give you some great facts. Good luck in your quest.

Peace,
wc@h

Last edited by West coast at heart; 10-07-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,613 times
I have always enjoyed Sequim area... the less rainfall is great. Worked for a season near Hood Canal and went to Sequim many times .... gota let you know as a funny- and it is a general stereo typical comment -- we all call Sequim God's waiting room..... many retired community members.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 PM

16 posts, read 49,457 times
[QUOTEFirst of all, how do you pronounce "Sequim?" :-)

I thought I want to move to a Portland suburb i.e. Scappoose, St. Helens, maybe even south into McMinnville, but I'm told the reasonably educated, maybe somewhat liberal folks are not to be found there. I'm told I can get that either directly into Portland or Seattle, but I don't want to live in a city. I'm looking for a small town or small town feel, but with some culture and hopefully some diversity. Any suggestions?][/quote]

Sequim is a great retirement community. Sunland has a lot to offer if you are retired and like to play golf.

I don't think Sequim is what you are looking for. It is by no means diverse. Just the opposite in fact. I would try Whidbey Island or Port Townsend.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 16,740 times
Default Sequim

I live in Sequim. I moved here from Southern CA. I love it. There is a hospital in Port Angeles, about 1/2 hour away. I have several ICU nurse friends who make the drive and they have no complaints. There's also a brand new cancer treatment center in Sequim. Sunland is the community that everyone mentioned. It is a bit pricier than many other parts of Sequim and there are professionals and seniors. Not a lot of kids but there are plenty of areas that are kid friendly. My daughter moved with us just before entering 11th grade. She thrived here.

I was at the bank the other day and overheard a lot of conversation about the many foreclosures here.
Quite a few spec houses too. Builders thought they could make a killing like they did in CA. Lots of vacant homes and pads ready for building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington