Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 11:45 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times

Advertisements

I am still in college but I have a fairly good idea of what I want to do with my life career-wise. Even if I don't up doing this after college I still might want to live in the area.

I am majoring in Anthropology and would like to work for the National Park Service or the United States Forest Service. I was hoping someone would know of locations both to live and locations where people from both agencies work where I could live (affordable, near water). Like I said I'm still working on my degree and may get a masters as well as the fact of actually being employed by them but I am still curious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 AM

So I gather that no one knows anything about this?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I have a friend from Gig Harbor with the same major and plan... she eventually found a job working mostly inside Yellowstone Park...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM

I appreciate the response. Do you know what she does day to day?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
So I gather that no one knows anything about this?
I have forgotten more than I remember.

If your going to work with your Anthro degree, that means you have to qualify as an Archeologist. So make sure you have the credits and or degree that the Federal Government thinks you IS one. Otherwise, getting a job will probably be difficult unless you convince somebody one to one. Make sure you qualify before you leave college!!!

The good news is everybody is retiring from both agencies so vacancies should be plentiful.

For the Park Service. The housing stinks in the larger parks. The best housing is in the smaller parks.

The Forest Service is getting out of the housing business for its employees. There are a few areas where you can get government housing, but you pay at market rates for renting.

Both agencies have so many offices and locations around the country that is difficult to list them all. The Forest Service even with all the layoffs still has 30,000 full time employees around the country.

I would look at the area of interest in your field. For example, a friend of mine was an expert on the Great Basin archeology. Then start looking for offices and locations in that area.

The Forest Service publishes an internal phone directory. Here is the link:Forest Service Organizational Directory (http://www.fs.fed.us/intro/directory/ - broken link)

Then click on the area of the country you are interested in. Look at the towns where the offices are located. It is a long list. You just might want to take an atlas and mark it with offices.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I appreciate the response. Do you know what she does day to day?
I e-mailed her and her address must have changed

Good Luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington