Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

I'm moving there because of the weather so that isn't an issue. Traffic is going to suck but can't be much worse than L.A.

The crime though, I hope it's not too bad? That is a concern for me but is it really THAT bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 03:57 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Nah! If you're coming from Socal, then you won't even notice.

It's just that I was getting irritated living in a big metro area where I was seeing and experiencing crime much more than I wanted.

I'm sure the crime in the Puget Sound area is not as bad as it could be and probably much less than a lot of metro areas.

--'rocco

Old 03-12-2007, 03:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
We're going to start out around Seattle to be sure there are lots of jobs and resources for us. ...For college.. I'm probably going to go to a community college for the first two years ...
Check out Vancouver on your way to Seattle, far cheaper, and less congested with most of same amenities minus ocean waterfront, but 2 BIG rivers (if you include Portland, 10 min south) There are many schools to choose from both community college and U's. There is a reciprocal agreement with OR, but it is limited in numbers who can participate. Do be sure to get into a 'transfer' program at the jr college, to assure credit transfers. There is a somewhat generic transfer program that avails you to ~ 50 upper division schools in the PNW (depending on your major)

Unfortunately the climate is similar, tho varies a bit.
You'll want a job on the WA side if possible (no income tax) There are lots of opportunites for work nearby, and cost of living will be ~ 50-70% of Seattle. (an easier way to make the transition). Plus if you need to escape to CA for some sun, the PDX airport is an ez 10 min away, and many daily direct flights.

For your proposal (living in WA one + yr BEFORE school). Try to find the cheapest housing and the highest wages, with potential for overtime to add to the savings for future school. (probably medical, skill, or warehouse jobs, not retail.../ food service)

It is usually not a problem to go to school full time and work fulltime, especially for the undergrad stuff (depending on major). Millions of folks do it.

I find it easiest to work the 'social suicide shift' (4pm -12pm) while doing school. (normal sleep schedule). I usually schedule classes to force a couple hours 'downtime' at school to get homework done prior to work. 7 or 8 am classes help get you out of bed early. This optimizes your time schedule. I also like to work weekend evenings as you can often get 12 hr shifts that will pay a premium 'cuz it is tough to get dependable weekend help. (and you are less able to spend $$ if you're working. ) Working weekends can often be fun, as you seldom see the boss . I prefer to just work, and not be bothered by trival things (such as micro-managing bosses).

Get your Drivers license changed asap, a mailing address and connect to a 'utility'.

That'll cover it. (after a yr.) Jr colleges are sometimes not too spendy for out of state tuition, + often schools wave 'Out-of-state' fees during summer sessions (a good way to get a 'head start')

good luck

Old 03-12-2007, 05:03 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Low prices is important to me. We are mainly moving to leave California but we would love to save some money too. I will definitely research Vancouver, thanks for the suggestion! I could use that cheaper alternative as my launching point, and eventually move up to Seattle if I enjoy it enough. I'll keep beating these ideas around I still have roughly eight months to decide (the cheaper the place I go the sooner I can move). I'm not a huge fan of the waterfront, but Seattle looks really appealing, or pwright is just a really good photographer.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:16 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I did some research on Vancouver, but according to Rent.com it didn't seem like it was much cheaper than Seattle. Buying was much cheaper, but rent appeared about the same. I'm so indecisive!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
...rent appeared about the same.
Possibly in the SEA suburbs, but then you have the Commute !!! hrs wasted everyday

One of my own kids is paying $850/month for a studio basement apt in Seattle proper.

I only get $600 for a 5 acre place with a view of the Coumbia Gorge. You should be able to get a 2 bedrm for $700 in Vanc. (10-15 min commute)

But... If Seattle has your heart, then you should do that. When young, pursue your dreams - health issues, kids, marriage, bills, houses, cars, caring for parents... tend to curtail your plans in the near future. Just really enjoy your opportunities and get the best from each experience. (some won't be too fun, but you will laugh later, sometimes much later....) ( laughter is very good )

Old 03-13-2007, 12:56 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Well if that is true and I can get a huge place like that for much less I would consider it. I can always move up to Seattle later and money is more important right now. The commute WOULD drive me crazy, so I'm still researching Vancouver! Is Vancouver the only other "nice" relatively big city alternative to Seattle (I want to live in Washington). I've heard Tacoma is bad, and I haven't heard anyone being very passionate about Spokane.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 AM

388 posts, read 1,785,240 times
Quote:
Well if that is true and I can get a huge place like that for much less I would consider it. I can always move up to Seattle later and money is more important right now. The commute WOULD drive me crazy, so I'm still researching Vancouver! Is Vancouver the only other "nice" relatively big city alternative to Seattle (I want to live in Washington). I've heard Tacoma is bad, and I haven't heard anyone being very passionate about Spokane.
Seattle and Spokane are on separate sides of the state and impossible to compare fairly. It would be like comparing Monterey to Merced.

Tacoma has some bad spots, but by and large it, it has many, many more good areas (relative term).

The rivalry between Seattle and Tacoma goes back to the early days of the territory, when they were in competition for people and businesses, and still exists today.

Many people in Seattle have an elitist attitude toward Tacoma, and many Tacomans have a "reverse snob" outlook toward Seattle.

One poster in the WA forum even posted that they would not ever live south of central Seattle or on the eastside (meaning Bellevue), because of the bad neighborhoods or towns.

That is an elitist attitude as any I have ever seen, and is quite laughable except for the fact that it might influence an unsuspecting researcher.

The eastside can be quite snobbish; maybe because it's much more expensive to live there than almost anywhere else in the state (on average), but since only the top 2-3% of wage earners can afford to buy there now, maybe they've earned the right to behave that way. (yes, my tongue is in my cheek). I can remember when the eastside was not a very desirable place to live, comparatively speaking, so I find it silly.

IMO, if you're looking to escape "plastic" people, don't move to the eastside. That's not a valid perception, but it's my perception.

The Rainier Beach area of Seattle can be every bit as difficult to live in as some neighborhoods in Los Angeles but is not nearly as "bad" as the worst.

I would "never" live there.

I've never lived there, so my perception of the place is not only based on what I heard from friends and what I've seen on the news, but based on what I could afford.

I think it's important to understand, that no one, and I mean no one, should ever accept advice from a Washingtonian on what constitutes a "good" or "bad" place to live, without understanding there is more than one perspective, and it's very important to get the viewpoint of someone who lives in the immediate area of where you're looking to buy or rent.

You also need to look at the local papers online and read the local news. That will give you more of an idea of what a place is like than reading what is posted here.

I think the WA forum has people who are either very happy with where they live or very dissatisfied, but one predominant consensus seems to be that it is very expensive to live in the greater Puget Sound area. It's not quite as expensive as some other parts of the west coast, but it's catching up.

Property taxes are getting out of hand and no relief in sight.

If you're looking to start a business, you also need to be aware of a little thing known as the B&O tax (Business and Occupation Tax). It's a tax levied on all businesses and can be quite regressive.

Boeing HQ moved from Seattle to Chicago. The official explanation was Chicago is more centrally located and better for business, but everyone in the NW "knows" the reason they left was to escape the B&O tax.

As a Illinois based corporation, Boeing no longer pays B&O taxes on corporate profits in WA state, although they do pay B&O taxes on what they left behind, after all, it is a Business and Occupation tax, but the savings on corporate profits was enough incentive for them to move. A sad day indeed for the Seattle region.

WA currently has the highest minimum wage of any state, $7.93, and has to be factored in as a business owner and as someone researching a move.

Why is the minimum wage higher than anywhere else?

Biggest reason is because it's more expensive to live there than a lot of other places, and the voters decided to vote themselves a pay raise.

I could go on and on about many things, but I won't.

It's not a rant. The Puget Sound area is a great place to live, but I had to leave.

Too gray (but when it's nice, there is no place better)

Too expensive (for my tastes)

Too crowded (and more coming)

For those of you moving in, enjoy.

For those of you moving out, I understand.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
The only thing I'm worried about is hating the crowds and traffic because I generally don't like that, but I've never lived in a large city so I will have at least tried it!

And the weather is part of the reason why I'm moving! I love the rain/overcast.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:46 AM

388 posts, read 1,785,240 times
Since your intent seems to be to attend school, and you'll be working for a while, you'll have time to adjust and learn a bit about the commute.

You might even end up living closer in to take advantage of the shorter commute.

Might seem more expensive, but difficult to reconcile fuel savings, time saved or attitude adjustment with direct cost.

You'll have to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington