Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 AM

633 posts, read 2,540,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenial View Post
I guess that is what is so funny when people here post that they love rain, and are looking forward to moving to the Pacific NW. I loved rain too, until I realized it wasn't going to stop for 7 months. It's really great, then you realize that if it is one of the few sunny days, you better clear your appointments and call in sick. You may not see the sun again for a couple of weeks.
I remember when I had my yard landscaped, the poor guys digging in the rain. I asked if they minded working in the rain. The landscaper said, " If we don't work in the rain, we don't work period."
Seriously, it's impossible to know if you will get SAD until you've lived it, and I did. In the twenty years I lived in Washington it crept up on me, I didn't really realize the full effect it had on me until I moved away . Suddenly I felt happy again, looking forward to a new day.
How ironic! On a totally different note down here in San Diego when we actually do get rain, I do take a vacation day because we never know when we will see it again. We have had only 1/100th of an inch of rain since Jan 07. That is just sad. Then when it does threaten to rain that miniscule amount, the news stations break in with total team coverage and Storm Watch, it is just pathetic.

For me personally, I can't wait to get to Seattle.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
I am only now learning that this seasonal depression is a cumulative deal.
Yes! I posted this before, but my experience is the same. It took me a few more years than you to bottom out, but the effect was the same.

There's no perfect place to live, but if you have SAD, the PNW is going to be a drag. SAD is more than a weather preference - it's not just "I don't like gray." The gray causes a physiological problem.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:13 AM

177 posts, read 847,366 times
A lot of people think that SAD is specific to "dull winter weather". Well that's not true. SAD can occur in people who are negatively affected by "blazingly sunny weather" (and this is not "reverse SAD" - which has quite different symptoms). I'm dealing with that now. I left the PNW 6 months ago to take a job in NC. Within 2 weeks of arriving here, my health started to suffer - everything from depression, to constant headaches, to bone aches, to strange physical manifestations that can't be explained, to severe insomnia, to rapid weight loss. To say this has been debilitating would be an understatement. Lucky for me, my employer is sympathetic to my issues and is permitting me to move back to the PNW and work remotely. I'll be back in WA late next month - just in time for the start of "the rainy season". I can hardly wait.

Now don't get me wrong. I love the sun. I love nothing more than walking on the beach on a sunny spring or autumn or winter day - and, yes, I have been known to phone in sick to go out and enjoy those days. But I never in my life considered that having too much sun would cause so many problems for me.

eileen

Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 50,671 times
I suffer from SAD and I hate it! And my hubby doesn't get it so doesn't quite understand; he adores this place. This next winter will be my fourth in the PNW and I'm not looking forward to it. It gets worse every year but thankfully I will only have to endure one more year of this (slave to the military). I grew up in Louisiana and had never realized until moving here how much I really enjoyed the sun. This cajun doesn't even mind humidity; in fact it is so dry here that I'm constantly putting on lotion. To me the only good thing about the weather and air here is that it is very clean, fresh, and sweet-smelling, not boggy and sulfuric like the bayous down south. It really is beautiful here, and it is a shame that I can't enjoy it properly; along with SAD I frequently get elevation sickness on hiking trips. I think in my ideal place to live it would be constantly sunny and at or below sea level

Old 08-22-2007, 02:30 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Default Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I've been hearing a lot about this issue and I was curious how many people it affects. Personally, I love overcast and rain but I hear it eventually wears you down even if you enjoy them. This has me slightly worried. Do some people still enjoy it after many years? What percentage of people are affected?

And is it possible to have the reverse? I live in Southern California and occasionally I get kind of "down" because it's another sunny day, I wouldn't say I get depressed but it decreases my mood somewhat, but nothing to flip out about.
Your doctor could probably tell you more as far as percentages and whatnot, but from my experience the first long winter usually isn't so bad for many people (myself included, perhaps it was the excitement of being in a new environment...) but with each winter it creeps up on you quicker and affects you more and more.

Taking a Vit. D supplement as well as regular exercise and a few good friends (support network) works for most of us. Also staying away from alchol (it's a depressant) and coffee (perks you up, then drops you down...) and sugar (same as coffee...).

Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
.... Also staying away from alchol (it's a depressant) and coffee (perks you up, then drops you down...) and sugar (same as coffee...).
Staying away from coffee in the PNW...LOL..interesting concept... .

Old 08-24-2007, 06:36 PM

307 posts, read 1,420,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
Staying away from coffee in the PNW...LOL..interesting concept... .
I think the luxurious perfect foam of a great latte would perk me up more than depress me. = ) Maybe try decaf? Did I just say decaf? Pray I don't get struck by lighting by coffee lovers everywhere. lol. But.....seriously.....decaf has gotten better in the past few years.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Default no coffee in the PNW?

I know... sounds impossible , right? To go without coffee in the pacific northwest... whatever!

Hot herbal tea is so much healthier, though... and also organic teas are better for the environment, a safer choice for wildlife and animal welfare, and are way more affordable - saving you money. And if you are worrying about mood or emotional issues there are some great herbal teas which are supposed to help.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM

69 posts, read 345,241 times
My husband and I had begun to seriously consider this move - resumes out, apartments searches, books arriving about living there. We've been studying the weather. Reading about it, it doesn't sound so bad. No more 98 110% humidity days? No more freezing temps? GREEN! GRASS! (The things you appreciate after 2 years of droughts).

In fact, everyday I've been telling him "but I'll need to get a lamp." And he says "only people who live in Alaska that far up need lamps. But whatever we can get one." I thought the lamp would be a good compensation for a brief rough time. (Kind of like air conditioning here in the south, and heat up north.)

I have actually lived in two different climates: We lived in metro-Detroit all of our lives, and primarily as a result of the weather, moved with my family down to the beaches of Alabama.

In MI my mom and I used to watch the newspaper for the count of no-sun days, and sometimes it would be 4-6 weeks. It's all anyone talked about. When would the sun come back. I know my mom was prone to SAD, we saw articles about it all the time in our area. That's how I know about the light box (not from reading about Alaska!)

Boy we couldn't wait to leave that behind for beautiful days! Or... could we. I'm looking right now and I see blue sky. Yes, I love the blue sky. The sun, it's harsh as someone in FL said. But we have regular storms that roll through, either daily, or weekly. However, we have large droughts for 10 months of the year, and everything dries up and shrivels. And the heat. It traps you too! Getting in your car, it suffocates you. You feel tired and lethargic and just want to go home and sit in your air conditioning. You can't run or walk or bike in this. (You can swim, maybe, if you aren't afraid of sharks and jellyfish, love the salt, and chlorine.) Some of us endure 80 degree temps - inside - for months, because the AC can't keep up. But it's about 2 months of this, though the seem long. And then it's back to about 70-80 for a few weeks, and then back to 40-60, although a 90 degree December day is not unusual. Seriously! The weather here is crazy! This Spring Easter Break, blew in 40 degrees from nowhere. SLEET. In almost MAY! (You talk about death on a tourism town.)

But anyway, I know that the near constant sun/heat has been effecting me. I also don't like the economy and environment of where we live. (All the young people have moved away, no doubt because there's nothing to do and no hopes for a career of any kind. It's retirees, Snow Birds, vacation retreats for the wealthy, and very low pay.)

Long story short, I began to welcome the idea of always cooler temps. 50 degrees is great for my husband, it's his favorite. He loves fall best. He is under the impression that moving to Seattle would be like Fall almost all the time. However, 50 degrees is not my favorite, not by a long shot. 70 is better. That being said, 50 degrees where I'm at right now FEELS like 20 or 30. No kidding. Not only does the almost year round hot temps lower your tolerance, but the cold is very bitter because it's so humid. It just eats through the walls and blankets and coats. I had thought because Seattle is NOT humid, that the 50 degrees wouldn't be so bitter. Is this wishful thinking?

In short, I know that I may be prone to SAD, which is why I was already preparing to buy a light lamp, and to move to apts with pools and brightly lit areas, and consider a fire place. (All hoping I can afford such. $1200 for a studio apt is certainly eyebrow raising.)

The biggest reason we left snowy and bitter Metro Detroit had to do with my at-the-time severe Rheumatoid Arthritis (Which is why up until now, I had NEVER considered rainy Seattle.) Does anyone else have this? Does it affect you like cold & snow does? I am somewhat affected by the hot-high-pressure-humidity of my area, but I am walking and functioning like a normal person. (Whereas before I was fairly crippled in the winter in Detroit.)

My husband is not a social person, (although he complains about the lack of friends and invitations where we are at.) He's not the outdoor type, although we occasionally camp. (He most certainly doesn't do the beach thing.) He's pretty much books/computer/video games/TV/coffee shop/museum thing. Which I admit I also like.

But I'm also an outdoor person. I grew up boating and skiing and sunning all summer long. I like walking. I love lakes and picnics and sports like volleyball.

Because of living in Metro-Detroit, the severe weather, and the crippling effect it had on me although I wasn't much older than 20, I was in serious jeopardy and had to be medicated. Within six months of living in this area, I was no longer on steroids for the arthritis, and even able to get off of the anti-depressants. My point is I already know I lean towards depression...

Am I deluding myself that I can handle this, even with a light box? Is the weather changing over the years? Is it wetter? Is it dryer? Is it colder? (I had thought it was getting slightly warmer, like everywhere else. Not true?)

How much does the light box help? Are we the kind of people that will embrace the Seattle way of living, or will it make me a shut-in hermit? (Which we kind of already are, but mainly because right now we don't like a lot of people including family *lol* and because it's been so hot. (Which I would also be moving WAY FAR AWAY from family ... and we don't know anybody there...)

I had already planned to get 2 weeks of vacation from wherever my employer is. Is this enough to sustain a person with previous SAD at my age (25), with previous issues with depression, with a mainly in remission condition like arthritis, but known to be bothered by colder temps???

You all make me wonder. But trust me, this is invaluable information. I know you can never know until you're there, but the not-from-a-Move-Here-book and actual resident experience is very valuable.

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 PM

307 posts, read 1,420,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjuliek View Post
My husband and I had begun to seriously consider this move - resumes out, apartments searches, books arriving about living there. We've been studying the weather. Reading about it, it doesn't sound so bad. No more 98 110% humidity days? No more freezing temps? GREEN! GRASS! (The things you appreciate after 2 years of droughts).

In fact, everyday I've been telling him "but I'll need to get a lamp." And he says "only people who live in Alaska that far up need lamps. But whatever we can get one." I thought the lamp would be a good compensation for a brief rough time. (Kind of like air conditioning here in the south, and heat up north.)

I have actually lived in two different climates: We lived in metro-Detroit all of our lives, and primarily as a result of the weather, moved with my family down to the beaches of Alabama.

In MI my mom and I used to watch the newspaper for the count of no-sun days, and sometimes it would be 4-6 weeks. It's all anyone talked about. When would the sun come back. I know my mom was prone to SAD, we saw articles about it all the time in our area. That's how I know about the light box (not from reading about Alaska!)

Boy we couldn't wait to leave that behind for beautiful days! Or... could we. I'm looking right now and I see blue sky. Yes, I love the blue sky. The sun, it's harsh as someone in FL said. But we have regular storms that roll through, either daily, or weekly. However, we have large droughts for 10 months of the year, and everything dries up and shrivels. And the heat. It traps you too! Getting in your car, it suffocates you. You feel tired and lethargic and just want to go home and sit in your air conditioning. You can't run or walk or bike in this. (You can swim, maybe, if you aren't afraid of sharks and jellyfish, love the salt, and chlorine.) Some of us endure 80 degree temps - inside - for months, because the AC can't keep up. But it's about 2 months of this, though the seem long. And then it's back to about 70-80 for a few weeks, and then back to 40-60, although a 90 degree December day is not unusual. Seriously! The weather here is crazy! This Spring Easter Break, blew in 40 degrees from nowhere. SLEET. In almost MAY! (You talk about death on a tourism town.)

But anyway, I know that the near constant sun/heat has been effecting me. I also don't like the economy and environment of where we live. (All the young people have moved away, no doubt because there's nothing to do and no hopes for a career of any kind. It's retirees, Snow Birds, vacation retreats for the wealthy, and very low pay.)

Long story short, I began to welcome the idea of always cooler temps. 50 degrees is great for my husband, it's his favorite. He loves fall best. He is under the impression that moving to Seattle would be like Fall almost all the time. However, 50 degrees is not my favorite, not by a long shot. 70 is better. That being said, 50 degrees where I'm at right now FEELS like 20 or 30. No kidding. Not only does the almost year round hot temps lower your tolerance, but the cold is very bitter because it's so humid. It just eats through the walls and blankets and coats. I had thought because Seattle is NOT humid, that the 50 degrees wouldn't be so bitter. Is this wishful thinking?

In short, I know that I may be prone to SAD, which is why I was already preparing to buy a light lamp, and to move to apts with pools and brightly lit areas, and consider a fire place. (All hoping I can afford such. $1200 for a studio apt is certainly eyebrow raising.)

The biggest reason we left snowy and bitter Metro Detroit had to do with my at-the-time severe Rheumatoid Arthritis (Which is why up until now, I had NEVER considered rainy Seattle.) Does anyone else have this? Does it affect you like cold & snow does? I am somewhat affected by the hot-high-pressure-humidity of my area, but I am walking and functioning like a normal person. (Whereas before I was fairly crippled in the winter in Detroit.)

My husband is not a social person, (although he complains about the lack of friends and invitations where we are at.) He's not the outdoor type, although we occasionally camp. (He most certainly doesn't do the beach thing.) He's pretty much books/computer/video games/TV/coffee shop/museum thing. Which I admit I also like.

But I'm also an outdoor person. I grew up boating and skiing and sunning all summer long. I like walking. I love lakes and picnics and sports like volleyball.

Because of living in Metro-Detroit, the severe weather, and the crippling effect it had on me although I wasn't much older than 20, I was in serious jeopardy and had to be medicated. Within six months of living in this area, I was no longer on steroids for the arthritis, and even able to get off of the anti-depressants. My point is I already know I lean towards depression...

Am I deluding myself that I can handle this, even with a light box? Is the weather changing over the years? Is it wetter? Is it dryer? Is it colder? (I had thought it was getting slightly warmer, like everywhere else. Not true?)

How much does the light box help? Are we the kind of people that will embrace the Seattle way of living, or will it make me a shut-in hermit? (Which we kind of already are, but mainly because right now we don't like a lot of people including family *lol* and because it's been so hot. (Which I would also be moving WAY FAR AWAY from family ... and we don't know anybody there...)

I had already planned to get 2 weeks of vacation from wherever my employer is. Is this enough to sustain a person with previous SAD at my age (25), with previous issues with depression, with a mainly in remission condition like arthritis, but known to be bothered by colder temps???

You all make me wonder. But trust me, this is invaluable information. I know you can never know until you're there, but the not-from-a-Move-Here-book and actual resident experience is very valuable.

Thanks.
To be honest....I think a lot of it is about mindset. If you go into into it worrying about being depressed and being affected then you probably will be. If you go into it thinking about enjoying the greenery, brisk temps, and jetting out to a local coffee shop to visit with a friend then you'll have a different experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington