Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 28,068 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Due to economic and personal reasons, my fiance and I moving to Washington and temporarily staying with Family in the Kingston Area.
We are young, 20 somethings looking to buy either land or a house with a little extra acreage in a smaller city in the next year or so.
We plan on staying there until we are old and gray. =)
I have lived in Beaverton, Or, and visited the seatle area frequently for Family occasions, but find that it is just a little too crowded.
I once lived in Fortuna, Ca, a small city (pop. >20,000) near Eureka, Ca, and found that I was quite happy and content living where everything but Denny's closes at 6pm.
I know we can't have everything we want, since utopias just don't exist but I want to meet as many of the criteria I can.
I have searched the area and wish to stay on the West side of Washington (sorry eastside lovers). I have done some research and plan on doing more and more once we make the move in two months or less. I have looked in to Gig Harbor, Lakebay, Lakewood, Snohomish, Everett, and just find that there is only so much pictures and websites like to tell you.
Here are some needs that absolutely have to be met in what ever city we decide to live in:

Needs:
4-year college, within an hours commute.
Good area, schools, low crime.
Medium to low housing/land prices ( looking to buy at around $160,000 max)
Bigger land parcels, country-ish feel. I don't want to spit on my neighbors window.
Pitbull & horse friendly.

And of course what we would like to have.

Wants:
Smaller city on the outskirts or just outside of a larger city. We like to visit the city but not live in it. My degree is Elementary Education, so this opens more doors.
Near (5-25 miles) some body of water
Little to no Tacoma Aroma. =)
A place where people might know you by name.
Close state park ideal.
Lots of outdoor activities. Hiking, kayaking, Fishing, camping.. Close range.
Some culture (parades and festivals)

I will be finishing my degree then teaching and continuing to attend college, and my Fiance will be either, working for family members, owning his own business as a mechanic, or working as a mechanic. All options are equally applicable. We don't mind being far north or far south as long as all "needs" are met, but prefer to be closer to the Kingston area if possible.

Thank you for reading and I hope to get some good feedback. City names are fine as then I can research it, but please include a little bit of info as to what perks the city has. some pro's an con's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 28,068 times
After further searching I have found that few schools, to my knowledge offer Education Certificates, So, my search has narrowed some. Any input on towns near these cities would be ideal:

Bellingham

Longview

Ellensburg

Olympia

I am continuing to search city data, and found that most like Ellensburg. I will look up city stats, but I would like to know more personal opinions about these cities and smaller ones next to them. Best commute options, as far as living near them.

This makes the search less tedious. Thanks again for reading.

Last edited by CJLoren; 03-16-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,140,609 times
CJ,

I can offer input for two of the above locations. I live in Olympia and am familiar with Longview.
Between the two, Olympia is definitely the more desirable. Longview is a blue collar town with high unemployment and high crime. Consequently the cost of housing will be lower in Longview than in Olympia. The nearest city to Longview is Portland, Oregon.

Olympia has been rated as the safest mid-size city in the US these past two years in a row. It offers beautiful scenery with views of Mt. Rainier, the Olympic Mountains, the Black Hills and the Sound. It also offers many cultural venues, such as an abundance of theaters (of the stage type), art galleries and events. Tacoma is 30 minutes away and Seattle a little over an hour. Olympia offers all the usual dining and shopping amenities, yet also offers quaint stores and unique restaurants downtown, as well as an awesome Farmers Market.

You can check out photos here http: //www.olympiauncovered.com

I'm sure you'll get some more people to chime in and hope you'll collect enough information to make an informed decission.

Good Luck!
Sandy

Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
Ellensburg east of mountains not west.......

Bellingham - not so much knowlege of --- use other posters north of town

Longview - last known agree with Sandy poster

Olympia - again or the area of Yelm Roy Rodchester and Chehalis and other adjacent areas in western wa is the only place you may get your ideal in western WA

Old 03-16-2009, 11:45 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
I'll agree with nwcountrygal and Sandy about Longview. It would have the lowest housing costs, but it's dreary and economically depressed...

Centralia is a kinda nice little town not too far from Olympia, but less expensive housing and land than Olympia..Olympia is a really nice place...
Bellingham is pretty, and a fun place, but probably the most expensive housing and land of the places you mentioned...
And Ellensburg? Well, it's the most different of the places, because it's east of the Cascades in Central Washington. Spectacular scenery, and old cowboy town tinged with hipness. Great areas to hike in. Lakes and rivers nearby, but no larger bodies of water..

Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
You won't find any housing in the mentioned areas at the price you stated(160K), that said, their are other areas with lower housing prices but they won't fit your driving needs. Washington has grown considerably in the last twenty years, we don't have an hour commute that is going to cover any appreciable distance. The big cities are not circled by smaller cities but rather strung together with smaller towns by a million strip malls and car dealers. The commute from any small towns to a university would be hellish even at your age. You also pointed out you desire to "grow old" in your new town, be advised that the growth in the NW is unstoppable and poorly planned. All in all, your best bet would be to live in a small town and work locally if that's possible. In the future Washington will be as densely populated as some Cali counties and then you'll be looking to move to get some peace of mind and decent air to breathe. As the poster above stated, Olympia has some great prospects for fulfilling your wish list.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
Ellensburg currently has nine homes, three bedroom or larger, listed at 175,000 dollars or below.
Olympia currently has 12 homes listed at 175 or below.
Centralia has 20 homes listed at 175 or below.
Bellingham has none.
I didn't check Longview, but it's likely they'd have the most of all those cities mentioned.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:57 AM

6 posts, read 30,106 times
Well, I don/t know if you have moved yet but the small towns around Vancouver Washington -Yacolt, Battle Ground,Camas, Washougal, etc. would fit your needs. Washington State University is less than 30 minutes away from any of those towns. Good schools, low crime, country living and friendly people. You might find something for $160,000 because housing prices are coming down, especially if you get out in the rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington