Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 AM

20 posts, read 64,343 times

Advertisements

We've been stationed here three years and lived in Steilacoom. Dupont is very nice and safe but expensive. There are much more affordable but equally nice homes in Steilacoom and Lakewood. I've worked in the school district and they participate in Washington Academy Online which is a support for homeschooling. It is a great school district, very caring people and lots of up-to-date technology. People warned us about Lakewood before we moved here but there are some very nice neighborhoods and I felt very safe. Pro for Dupont- lots of sidewalks; Steilacoom- sidewalks only in main city. Pro Steilacoom- five minutes to your pick of grocery stores and a short walk to several beaches and parks; Dupont- no grocery stores, you have to get on the freeway to get to one or drive through Steilacoom.
I think you will be happy and feel secure in either town. I'm excited for you. We love it here. Wait until you see the sun setting on the Puget Sound with the Olympic Mountains behind, or the clouds circling the top of Mt.Ranier on a clear day. Some must do outings with your kids- Point Defiance park, take a ferry ride to Anderson Island, hike in the Olympic Rainforest (wait until spring)... Lots more but those are some of my favorites.
Welcome to Fort Lewis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 AM

12 posts, read 48,668 times
Default Thank You

Thanks to everyone for the info about Steilacoom! I rented our house before traveling out here to look, thinking it would save us money up front. We are contemplating moving next year when our lease is up. Not out of the school district, but possibly to Steilacoom. My son will be attending Saltars Point next year, anyway. So this was the way I felt when I researched some of the Steilacoom home rentals online: I would actually love a bigger backyard!

Jackie

Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 AM

13 posts, read 85,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochellepotter View Post
Alohamelly,
thanx!!
Ah, you home schooled! how old is your child (or your kids). which HS group did you like?
ok, so how'd you get a newer home. I saw that the waiting list is long! How many years have you lived there? Are you happy with the schools now that you don't home school? Have you visited a lot of the other homes? How are they? Up to date, lots of kitchen cupboards? Also, I was looking online and it looks like there's no nook/eating area, we'd have to eat in the living room?!
Are there a ton of families on post, (lots of friends to choose from).
Let me know if you know anything else.
Last year when we homeschooled, my child was in 6th grade. I discovered a good school for her during the year and put her in it this year for 7th grade. It is working out great!

We got a newer home because my husband did a year in Korea prior to us coming here so he had priority on the wait list. It was pure luck, really. The people who were supposed to get this house missed their housing appointment and we were there at the right time. We've been living here since June '08.

I haven't been in any other houses except for the ones in my neighborhood. There is a dining area, but the living and dining area are all one big open space. They are building apartment style houses on post near the PX. I'm not sure when they will be ready. It will be a no smoking and no pets housing area. It looks nice from what I've seen online about it!

There are a ton of families on post.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 15,585 times
DuPont is great. LOTS of military families - the local cub scout pack, for example, has 60 kids in it mostly military. The schools are safe and NEW in Dupont - both an elementary and middle school. mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-16-2009 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 24,496 times
Quote:
implnnr,
thanx for all the info. ya, i think it's a toss up btwn base and Dupont! I'm a little weary of the houses on base. A lot of them look small. Right now we are in a 4 bdroom house, so spacious. We are on a base that is NOT full though. I hope your utilities aren't too much up there! I'm glad you like the area. where do you go for shopping? Lacey area or U. Place? I noticed Tacoma and Lakewood are really dangerous. Does that effect Dupont at all?
Are all areas of Dupont safe? I want to feel safe at night if hubby is away for training. It looks like a cute town=) Are there cute little shops and fun things to do there? any pictures??
thanks so much!

Tacoma is not dangerous! Closer to the base is more dangerous...

We are a military family, our BAH quite high when we lived there but chose to spend less and we felt at home and safe in the North End/ West of Tacoma, near Point Defiance park.
Stereotypes are bad.......
We lived on post before buying our home there in the North End of Tacoma and we liked the environment on post as well. Our home was small but it was nice and clean.
Right now living in a military installation on the East Coast...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM

23 posts, read 82,837 times
Quote:
We are considering taking a job at Fort Lewis. I have 3 small children, so I want to live in a VERY safe neighborhood, even if that means living on post. Does anyone have experience living on post? My hubby is an E5. Are the houses on post clean and up to date? Do they have dishwashers, garages, etc.? How are the neighbors. What about playgrounds and activities on base. Schools? I'm home schooling now, but is there an Elementary school ON base, just in case?
I was also considering living off post if we can get a nice place for NOT a lot of money (whatever the BAH is). We would like to live within 10 minutes from the base. Are there any VERY safe areas that fit the bill? I know that Lakewood and Tacoma have some not so safe areas and I don't want to live in an area that is safe on one block, not safe on the next. Not that every city is totally safe, but I want to feel comfortable when unloading my 3 small children. What about Steilacoom?
I was considering Dupont and maybe Lacey. How far is Lacey from post(lots of traffic?).
I'm also looking for a Christian Home schooling community. Anyone heard of other home schooling families on the base or in the area?
THanks!
Dupont sounds like it would suit you perfectly if you decide to not live on post. Loads of families with young children, (the community is about 50% military so always new people coming in) great parks, trails for biking and walking, and very safe. There really isn't a "bad" part of town! I'm partial to the area around the elementary school where the landscaping is mature and it's an easy walk to parks, schools and downtown. Not loads to do downtown but there is a nice library, coffee shops, pizza restaurant and a handful of other small businesses and restaurants. It's a family oriented community with a big Fourth of July celebration, Easter Egg hunt, Tree lighting and a few military appreciation events throughout the year. It's going to be a very difficult community to leave when it's time to go. As for a grocery store...there isn't one, but you are military and can get to the commissary through the Dupont gate in just a few minutes. We can go to Lacey, Olympia, Tacoma, Portland or Seattle for other shopping and entertainment needs and come home to our small, quiet town. There are a number of home schoolers here, as well as small preschool programs and a nice elementary school and middle school if you choose to enroll your children. Best of luck with your move, it's a great area!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 AM

172 posts, read 414,345 times
We were stationed at Lewis a few years ago. I would love to go back. I agree with much of what was said here already.
I lived in the new housing on post that everyone was talking about. It is pretty, but I remember feeling like there was a LOT of wasted space. I have friends that live in Lacey and DuPont and they really like it.
I miss it there. It is one of the few places that we have lived that I would retire at.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,965 times
We love DuPont and will never live on another Post (too much drama and no privacy). You can find homes in DuPont with larger yards like we did and it's just large enough. Mowing sometimes 3 times a week so smaller is good. 25 plus miles of nice walking trails and walking the canyon to the Sound is breathtaking! Resale is great in DuPont. We have no complaints. Mann Middle School should be closed down. It is a horrible school!!!! Steilacoom School District is by far 1000 times better than Clover Park. Do not move on Post if you want your children safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington