Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 10,956 times

Advertisements

Who else needs to just vent and complain about Blaine?! Or Washington for that matter?! I moved here just under a year ago because my husband was offered a 2 year college program...other than that I wouldn't have even considered moving to WA period. I come from Ca and Vegas, I NEED the sun and warmth. This weather is ridiculous and has put me in the biggest depression of my life! I hate everyday since I've been here. I try to think positive, have been to my doctor and it doesn't change my feelings. I hate hate hate Washington! Anyone else feel my pain???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times
I can understand how you feel. I have lived in the Northwest my whole life, and, frankly, I'm tired of it too. Have you been here in the summer before? Well, the one nice thing about here is the beautiful summers. Just hang in there, get everything out of summer you can get, take trips to Arizona as much as you can throughout the winter, and remember that you'll be out of here in a little over a year!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:21 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterBunny View Post
Who else needs to just vent and complain about Blaine?! Or Washington for that matter?! I moved here just under a year ago because my husband was offered a 2 year college program...other than that I wouldn't have even considered moving to WA period. I come from Ca and Vegas, I NEED the sun and warmth. This weather is ridiculous and has put me in the biggest depression of my life! I hate everyday since I've been here. I try to think positive, have been to my doctor and it doesn't change my feelings. I hate hate hate Washington! Anyone else feel my pain???
The weather in the NW can be very difficult for many people.

The only thing I like about Blaine is its proximity to White Rock and Vancouver.

To be fair to the rest of the state, Blaine is not a good example. There are areas with completely different weather patterns.

And with respect to Blaine...I mean there is absolutely no life to the town.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:56 AM

68 posts, read 210,990 times
Please be aware, the whole state isn't like that. Over here in the Columbia Basin we have <10" of rain per year (Search Page - Search maps in Sequim Community Web on site and off, ~1/2 way down the page), lots of 100˚F+ days in the summer, and ~300 sunny days a year. I've lived here all my life (except for 2 yr in Cincinnati) and, like you, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I didn't see you complain about the lack of urban amenities—the Tri-Cities and Spokane pale in comparison to Sea-Tac in that area. But if that doesn't bother you (or if you don't mind driving a few hours to get there) you might give the "real" east side a try.

Regards,
HeyMikey

Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,233 times
Hm, yeah. I'd never move to Blaine. Try the Puget Sound area. Washington is awesome for the most part though!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Please tell all your friends and family how awful it is here!

Those of us who love the rain thank you.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
I wouldn’t live in Blaine, Washington neither. There are much better small towns in Washington than Blaine. But don’t think for a second you have a right to negatively generalize this entire region and the people who live here. There are many positives and things to love about this region(even in the weather/climate department) and if you cant see that there are positive things here, go ahead and leave. I think for you, its more about being in a town you don’t like. Blaine, Washington is a boring lifeless town compared to other towns and cities in Washington state. But even with that town, youre near two awesome cities(Vancouver and Seattle) and near awesome nature places.

Go ahead and move to a place like Arizona, which has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Phoenix is also rated number 1 in the country for year round pollution. Go ahead and have fun in a place that is brown year round with almost no trees with ugly sprawling cities. Also Arizona and Nevada have higher suicide/depression rates than Washington and a lower well being rank than Washington. Even if places like Nevada and Arizona have more sunny days, there are many negative things about those places. Arizona and Nevada also has some of the worst schools in the country, horrible healthcare, and many other problems.
Im the opposite of you and would HATE living in Arizona or Nevada and be depressed there like in no other place

You strike me as someone who cant see the positives about a place and only seeing one “negative.” You don’t seem to know how to make the most of a place and see that there is plenty of beauty here. I feel sorry for you. You are very OCD about the cloud thing.

People in the world are dealing with real problems unlike you, and you seem to think you have a right to complain about life just because of some clouds.

I LOVE Washington, and see so many positives. But if I lived in a place like Yakima or Blaine, I wouldn’t like it as much as I would in a place like Seattle.

And its sad to see that nobody else in this thread who posted seems to realize how good someone can have it here with so many things. There are even positives about the weather/climate here.
I moved here from New York to Seattle and love it here so much. I find there to be a lot to love in this region.

Are you naive enough to actually think sunny weather= no problems in life?

Last edited by ; 05-01-2010 at 12:50 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 10,956 times
Red face ....let me just say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterBunny View Post
I'm sorry if I have offended anyone with my rant on Blaine and or Washington. I was having a pretty bad day, came across this blog site and decided to just vent. It wasn't my place to say what I said where everyone could view. So I am genuinely apologizing....

As far as how I really feel (and I'm in a fine mood really ) about Washington and Blaine... I do come from a warmer climate and I am use to that. I love being outside, I love wearing bikinis, shorts and flip flops...so the weather out here just really isn't my thing. Just like I'm sure there's lots of ppl that feel say Vegas or So. California weather is just to darn hot.
Blaine is a very small quiet town and being so young I think it's just to much of a slow paced lifestyle out here for us.

I'm here for a bit longer but it's not the worst place in the world. I don't feel all of WA is probably like Blaine...I know there's loads more to WA than what I've seen or experienced. I guess just having such a bad day (and definitely not use to rain cold and very gray dreary skies for such long periods of time) I had a really nasty negative attitude and word vomited all over this blog site...
Hey my husband was born and raised here so I definitely love that WA exists

So truly I apologize for being out of line

Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Sorry if my post before seemed too angry or confrontational. Im sorry if I offended places that you may like more such as Arizona and Nevada.

I just think that there is a lot to love about certain areas of Washington state and was surprised to see someone have such feelings of hated about it here. It may not be like Nevada or Southern California but it was sunny 5-7 days in a row before this week and warmer and will be sunny 5-7 days in a row after a few days and warmer too. I think this kind of weather/climate is better to be outside than places where it gets 90 degrees+ and severe thunderstorms and tornadoes or 0 degrees and below.

I personally like all types of weather, including the weather here. But I also like weather in places such as Hawaii, San Diego, and San Francisco.

A lot of Washington isnt like Blaine. Bellingham(which is about 30 minutes away from you) is different from Blaine as well as places like Seattle, Tacoma, and even small towns that may be more enjoyable for you than towns like Blaine in this state. And Blaine doesnt seem all bad. You are an hour or less closer to Bellingham,Wa Vancouver, Canada, North Cascades National park,Mount Baker, and other places too.

The gray and rain here can be difficult for some, but its enjoyable to others, such as me. And Im still someone who likes sunshine and warmth as well and think Western WA still gets enough sunshine and warmth for my taste.

Last edited by ; 05-03-2010 at 01:13 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 12:53 PM

54 posts, read 220,616 times
Blaine is a good spot to be!

Why?

first off all, yes there is rain. However have you been here in the summer? it hardly rains and the sun is always shining.

second, it is only an hour from a major US city (Seattle) and about 20 minutes away from Vancouver Canada. I suggest you get a passport and head over to Vancouver. Lots of shopping, faster lifestyle, and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington