Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Around here the answer is a definite YES! So many people (especially students) dress in shorts and t-shirts year round here (possibly because those are the only clothes they own). They do this even when it's below freezing and raining / windy!
Exactly the same in my neck of the woods!

Well, when I travel I may dress inappropriately according to the locals. For instance, I was in Chicago at the end of May and being from Tucson, Arizona, it was pretty cold for me. However, the locals were sporting flip-flops and tank tops, which is understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Ouch! Atlanta really is the coldest climate I could live in! I remember last February when there were only 5 days the high even got to 50 (Average high is 58). Needless to say, I was pretty depressed haha. Fortunately where I'm going to college, the average high in January is a nice 60
What exactly do you mean "could live in"?
You're probably more cold-tolerant than me.
Do you mean to not have it affect your contentment?

I have no idea what it's like to enjoy a climate for most of the year.
I just try to block out what our average weather is, and focus on our warmest days.
At least our record warmth in every month is reliably good.

I'm familiar with seeing 25+ days under 50 F in November, pretty much every day Dec-Feb and maybe 28 days in March. (in a chillier winter)

Old 07-08-2010, 12:32 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What exactly do you mean "could live in"?
You're probably more cold-tolerant than me.
Do you mean to not have it affect your contentment?

I have no idea what it's like to enjoy a climate for most of the year.
I just try to block out what our average weather is, and focus on our warmest days.
At least our record warmth in every month is reliably good.

I'm familiar with seeing 25+ days under 50 F in November, pretty much every day Dec-Feb and maybe 28 days in March. (in a chillier winter)
Basically Atlanta is the coldest climate where I could be happy for nearly the entire year. Anywhere colder and I would pretty much hate life. Of course I know there will be bad days but usually we rebound quickly.

I generally love the weather here from March through Mid-November. I hate winter. But usually it's short and not too cold for me to deal with.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Basically Atlanta is the coldest climate where I could be happy for nearly the entire year. Anywhere colder and I would pretty much hate life. Of course I know there will be bad days but usually we rebound quickly.

I generally love the weather here from March through Mid-November. I hate winter. But usually it's short and not too cold for me to deal with.
I'm a bit surprised how many people don't want to even imagine life
where they have to find things other than weather to make them happy.

Around here, doesn't matter what your weather preferences are,
it's so variable that if someone has a perfect weather day, it's probably a fluke, but that's accepted as reality.
(except maybe for people who love cloudiness )

Old 07-08-2010, 05:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'm a bit surprised how many people don't want to even imagine life
where they have to find things other than weather to make them happy.

Around here, doesn't matter what your weather preferences are,
it's so variable that if someone has a perfect weather day, it's probably a fluke, but that's accepted as reality.
(except maybe for people who love cloudiness )
Meh! You've already admitted to me you're frozen to death and don't wanna live there!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Meh! You've already admitted to me you're frozen to death and don't wanna live there!
No, but I don't enjoy regular weather here, outside mid-May to mid-Sep.

What's that have to do with *spoiled* people imagining life where the weather isn't usually good?

Old 07-09-2010, 04:30 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Last time I wore shorts was in April, been wearing jeans, t-shirt and jumper with jacket since then

Old 07-09-2010, 04:34 AM

43 posts, read 109,883 times
People here in Seattle dress all sorts of crazy. We got a snow storm a few years back that iced up the roads pretty bad. I saw a dude in flip flops trying to chain up his stuck car.

You see these people a lot in winter time as well. Flip flops, shorts, and a parka are pretty common.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
We have that here in Melbourne as well. People wearing shorts when it is 10°C / 50°F outside with the wind blowing a gale is bloody stupid.
The weather there is incredibly fluctuating. Would you even blame them?

It was probably 25C earlier....

Old 05-21-2015, 02:37 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,620,957 times
It's common to see old ladies wearing two or three layers of clothes even in the hottest days around here (33/35ºC).
Maybe it's because even after those hot days the night tends to be chilly (15ºC), and also because Portuguese are terribly afraid of any chill or draft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather