Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,289,171 times

Advertisements

We did get some rain yesterday and it is cloudy right now. So I'm a happy camper about that!
It has been a hot, hot dry summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,839,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The average I have for Adelaide (though needs a bit of updating) is 2799 hours, about 63.5% of the astronomical possible. The sunniest of 3 locations in my tables for SC is 64%, so there isn't much difference. None of the 3 I have for Alabama exceeds 59%.

Presumably you are talking about days of rainfall? ("rainier than most of SC"). Adelaide Aero averages 79 days/annum with 1.0mm or more - what are the values for SC towns?
Interesting. So Adelaide may be better than I expected.
Perth's sunshine levels would still be high enough to shock or confuse my system,
whereas Adelaide would just feel like consitantly having some better days.

No annual rainfall totals,
but also when you go west of central SC and western NC, winter becomes the rainiest season of the year, and annual rain totals tend to get bumped up.
Most of the Carolinas east of the mountains see more rain in summer than any other time of year. The extra winter rainfall also seems to increase avg cloud cover.
80 days per year of measurable precip is probably lower than most parts of the Carolinas; I'd suspect 90-115 days in most parts.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Just a quick side note (I’m sure you know this already) …but Northern Alabama/Northern Gerogia often gets the debris of that Tennessee Valley cloud deck …and is consequently cloudier than the areas closer to the Atlantic along the coastal plain. Most sections of northern Alabama get only 2700 -2750 hours of sunshine annually…while parts of interior South Carolina get 3000. In fact, in the Sand hills (a strip of ancient beach dunes which generally divides the Piedmont from the coastal plain), gets over 3000 hours of sunshine annually from around Sumter southwestward (Orangeburg, SC gets 3088 hrs of sunshine according to their reporting NOAA site). Of course 3,000 hours is nothing on the dry side of the USA, but on the wetter Eastern side of the USA mainland, interior South Carolina/west Florida are the only areas to get 3,000 hours of sunshine or more. Anyway here is the NOAA map from thier site you might find interesting (esp in SC):

Thanks. Maybe I should plan a trip to Orangeburg.
I actually am interested in visiting the Congaree National Monunment (?) park with some of the largest stands of old-growth trees.
(in a kick-ass climate, close to home; south of Columbia SC )

Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,613,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Interesting. So Adelaide may be better than I expected.
Perth's sunshine levels would still be high enough to shock or confuse my system,
whereas Adelaide would just feel like consitantly having some better days.

No annual rainfall totals,
but also when you go west of central SC and western NC, winter becomes the rainiest season of the year, and annual rain totals tend to get bumped up.
Most of the Carolinas east of the mountains see more rain in summer than any other time of year. The extra winter rainfall also seems to increase avg cloud cover.
80 days per year of measurable precip is probably lower than most parts of the Carolinas; I'd suspect 90-115 days in most parts.
If you really feel you need "warmth" and 3000 hours of sunshine, you seriously need to move!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
If you really feel you need "warmth" and 3000 hours of sunshine, you seriously need to move!
But I never had any illusions that Canadian climates could be satisfying, once I understood what they were like.

What I "need?"
Having a large part of the year at 22+ C with 60+% annual sunshine would work.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM

110 posts, read 323,306 times
In Portland we have the marine layer that drifts in overnight and sticks around usually until midday. Many mornings are completely overcast, cool and drizzly. The afternoons however bring brilliant sunshine, blue skies and comfortable temps. Last weekend, without the presence of the marine layer, the sun was shining all day long yielding temps in the mid to upper 90's. This is my first summer here so I don't know if this is typical, but it sure is nice!

Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 PM

66 posts, read 52,817 times
In Nashville, a completely overcast day is rare. When it rains here, it is typically a heavy, quick thunderstorm and it usually clears up quickly afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather