Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times

Advertisements

My least fav- Now- hot and yuck. Don't like humidity either. I hate summer time.

My fav- Autumn season and Winter Season, temps- in the 60's-low 70's for the high, cool crisp air Ahhhhh Would be perfect weather for me year round- I so love wearing jeans and boots! I don't like shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 03:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Are you forgetting that southern hemisphere sun is much stronger than northern hemisphere sun?

If Chester lives at the 37 S parallel, in summer it'd be equivalent to living at the 27 N parallel (Miami?)
I would expect that Aukland sees UV forecast at 12 sometimes, maybe 13.
Really? I know that the Earth is closer to the Sun during southern summer but it is only about 3% closer so its a marginal difference. Anything else I'm missing?

Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Really? I know that the Earth is closer to the Sun during southern summer but it is only about 3% closer so its a marginal difference. Anything else I'm missing?
Ozone Hole (much larger over the Southern Hemisphere)

Old 08-27-2010, 03:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
I knew the Ozone Hole existed over Antarctica. Had no idea that it extended as far north as NZ but I guess it does (NZ is somewhat on the border):

Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
The southern hemisphere also has cleaner air than the northern hemisphere.
World weather patterns are almost entirely segregated at the equator, so it makes sense that most of the industrial crap stays here.
More land area, so likely we have more forest fires and volcanos.
Most of the southern hemisphere is just vast sea.

*Heard it on the internet, some scientists believing it's their cleaner air

You get the reverse in places like Asia.
I've heard Seoul's sunshine feeling gentler (at 38 N?) than Toronto at 43 N, likely from Chinese pollution and dust from the Gobi desert blowing in from the west.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
Quote:
Radiation falls off according to an inverse square law, so you get about 6% higher solar radiation during the southern summer. Still pretty marginal though...

Quote:
I knew the Ozone Hole existed over Antarctica. Had no idea that it extended as far north as NZ but I guess it does (NZ is somewhat on the border):
It's not a 'hole' as such, but a region of relatively low ozone concentration. So Chile, Argentina, NZ, etc. may have higher UV levels on account of this.

So the combined effect of lower ozone concentration, higher radiation and lower air polution makes for somewhat higher UV levels in a southern summer compared to the same northern latitude. Winters are about the same.

Last edited by ChesterNZ; 08-27-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
If Chester lives at the 37 S parallel, in summer it'd be equivalent to living at the 27 N parallel (Miami?)
I would expect that Aukland sees UV forecast at 12 sometimes, maybe 13.
I'm in Christchurch, same absolute latitude as you!

Apparently, Miami has much higher UV than Auckland:

Auckland Climate Guide, New Zealand - Weather2Travel.com

Miami Climate Guide, Florida - Weather2Travel.com

In fact, Miami seems to have slightly higher UV levels than similar latitudes in Australia for some reason:

Monkey Mia Climate Guide, Western Australia - Weather2Travel.com

Christchurch has higher UV than Toronto:

Christchurch Climate Guide, New Zealand - Weather2Travel.com

Toronto Climate Guide, Ontario - Weather2Travel.com

Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I'm in Christchurch, same absolute latitude as you!

Apparently, Miami has much higher UV than Auckland:

Auckland Climate Guide, New Zealand - Weather2Travel.com

Miami Climate Guide, Florida - Weather2Travel.com

In fact, Miami seems to have slightly higher UV levels than similar latitudes in Australia for some reason:

Monkey Mia Climate Guide, Western Australia - Weather2Travel.com

Christchurch has higher UV than Toronto:

Christchurch Climate Guide, New Zealand - Weather2Travel.com

Toronto Climate Guide, Ontario - Weather2Travel.com
From those links, it looks like Miami and Auckland have the same high UV level - 11. Although, Miami has 5 months where the UV averages 11 whereas Auckland has only 3 months. I'm not sure if that was what you referring to. However you want to look at it though, 11 is a pretty strong UV level in my book. I guess it goes to show that the lack of pollution and thinning of ozone at the southern latitudes really does have a significant effect.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:39 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Most favorite: Cool and temperate marine climates... like San Francisco, where I currently live (and have lived for ~20 years). There IS a reason we pay so much to live here!

Least favorite: Hot and humid... anywhere in Florida or the deep south comes to mind.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:

I recall our teacher telling us that the sun is farther from the earth in summer, but the rays are more direct due to the angle.

Who is right?

Her or you ?

Anybody know ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather