Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
No way! I'd take the cold over the heat. Texas is unbearable in the summer---unless you like, of course to almost pass out unconscious due to the heat like I almost did when I lived there. Never again! I like Colorado's weather

As so many say, the heat in Texas is exaggerated. I think NOT! I'm with you. I can stand in the shade and feel like I'm going to pass out. When I have to do yard work, the headache starts, I get dizzy, see spots before my eyes, and get quite nauseated.

I'm with you all the way on your post!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 AM

823 posts, read 3,689,303 times
The worst for me is St. Louis followed by Baltimore and Miami.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

Even in way west Texas, the humidity in the mountains is less, but the heat is still quite overwhelming, a stifling DRY heat.
I don't think West Texas heat is all that bad. Yes it gets hot, but not nearly as hot as Nevada, Arizona, and the interior of Southern California. The relatively high altitude and low humidity mean that you get almost instant relief from the heat once the sun goes down.

South Texas though, is brutal. With the low altitude and high humidity it stays hot all night long.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I vote for Texas, especially Houston has to be in the top 3 worst places. The humidity is AWFUL.
You've never been to the Florida Keys or anywhere in the tropics have you? They have Texas and Houston beat by a long country mile handsdown. I've never been as hot, humid and sticky anywhere in Texas as I have in parts of Florida. When you literally want to strip to nothing and your wearing linen and not even getting in the water helps cool you down. Hair is a mess too. At least here in Texas w/ trees in my backyard that create a breeze (yes, trees create a breeze and actually cool the air) I can be fairly comfortable in the heat of the summer.

BTW, wearing long sleeves and pants in the heat and your sweating is actually a good thing. You see construction workers in the heat of the summer wearing long sleeves for a reason. The sleeves trap in the sweat which act as a cooling mechanism and help cool the skin and your body. If your not wearing long sleeves and you wipe the sweat away your actually making your body hotter.

Give this body the warm weather anyday over the freezing cold. I don't care how many layers you put on after awhile you can just get too many on that you can't even function or move. No thanks especially when it takes 15-20 minutes just to undress to go to the bathroom, lol. Besides that cold weather can be bad on old bones and make it hard to move.

But hey, everyone is different and that is what makes the world go round.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You've never been to the Florida Keys or anywhere in the tropics have you? They have Texas and Houston beat by a long country mile handsdown. I've never been as hot, humid and sticky anywhere in Texas as I have in parts of Florida. When you literally want to strip to nothing and your wearing linen and not even getting in the water helps cool you down. Hair is a mess too. At least here in Texas w/ trees in my backyard that create a breeze (yes, trees create a breeze and actually cool the air) I can be fairly comfortable in the heat of the summer.

BTW, wearing long sleeves and pants in the heat and your sweating is actually a good thing. You see construction workers in the heat of the summer wearing long sleeves for a reason. The sleeves trap in the sweat which act as a cooling mechanism and help cool the skin and your body. If your not wearing long sleeves and you wipe the sweat away your actually making your body hotter.

Give this body the warm weather anyday over the freezing cold. I don't care how many layers you put on after awhile you can just get too many on that you can't even function or move. No thanks especially when it takes 15-20 minutes just to undress to go to the bathroom, lol. Besides that cold weather can be bad on old bones and make it hard to move.

But hey, everyone is different and that is what makes the world go round.
I have no desire to go to Florida or the tropics, Texas heat is bad enough, I would surely did in anything worse

Old 07-07-2007, 11:13 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
The worst for me is St. Louis followed by Baltimore and Miami.
You've got to be kidding me. St. Louis followed by Miami? That's a good one. Have you ever been to Memphis, Phoenix, Atlanta, Little Rock, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Dallas, or Houston in the summertime. They make St. Louis seem like a freezer. Indy, Cincy, and Kansas City are not much better than St. Louis in the summer, in fact most of the time they are just as bad. Chicago's summers can also easily get into the 90s. It can get hot in St. Louis, don't get me wrong, but our summers are not among the worst in the nation. On any given day usually, the South and Southwest usually make St. Louis seem like a slice of heaven.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Texas is normally pure hell in the summer, but I'd like to point out that it is currently 77 at my house and well after noon on the 7th of July..
I'm guessing not many places in the country can make that claim today

I'm loving it though and even though the rain is getting old, not waking up to 90 degrees when it's still dark out is a VERY good thing..

BTW, florida has the worst weather. chronic high humidity is not what I want 365 days/year..
San Diego has the best by far. I remember almost forgetting what rain was when I lived there. and the temperature was always pretty much perfect. There was that week or so each year when it got up to around 115 with practically 0% humidity, but it always cooled down at night.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Houston right now 88 degrees, heat index 96, dew point 73, humidity 61%

Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Dallas weather as of 12:42pm on July 7th

Temp: 87°
Dew Point: 69°
Humidity: 55%
Wind: Variable 5 mph
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Pressure: 30.01 in. -
Sky: Scattered Clouds
Heat Index: 91°

Not bad for a "HOT" Dallas summer.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
ok, we're now up to:

Temp: 80.5
  • Lo: 69°F
  • Rain: 0.21"
  • Hi: 81°F
  • Gust: SSW 14
  • Heat Index: 85°F
  • Humidity: 68%
  • Dew Point: 69°F
It seriously helps having the sun behind clouds and once it does manage to pop out the enjoyment will be over.. I just can't wait to get my electric bill. I think this will be the first time I've ever had one in July that was under $200..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather