Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
Of particular interest to me is our west coast region, where snow on the coast is rare but is only 25 km from what is possibly the highest ( I'm not certain about this though) annual snowfall on the planet.
I think the Cascades in Washington State (USA) have the highest, but I don't know much about New Zealand. Do you have any numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think the Cascades in Washington State (USA) have the highest, but I don't know much about New Zealand. Do you have any numbers?
I also read the Cascades, but I wouldn't rule NZ as a possibility, since it doesn't really have any stations high up enough to compare. Both these regions can get in excess of 4000mm of precipitation a year.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:53 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not for snowfall, NZ has few sites for recording snow, mostly ski areas which tend to be on the drier side of the country. The wettest sea level annual rainfall is about 7.5 m and the wettest site at elevation (I think about 1000 m ) has around 12 m. both of these sites have adjoining alpine zones, so high snowfall totals could be expected. I don''t know if there would be a direct rain to snow conversion at a 1 to 10 ratio, it might not be that simple. Alaska seems like another place where high totals could be expected. The Cascade totals are very impressive, particularly given the relatively modest altitude the record was set at, I don't think it's likely NZ could compare at the same height (5500 ft/1700 m), go up another 1000 m and it may be a different story.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Snow to sea level on the east coast of the South Island isn't too unusual. the west coast and where I live is different though. If it snowed here once a year or even once in 10 I would say, yes, it snows here, once in 35 years makes it more of a freak event. I may appear picky but my criteria is by the standard of where I live. That is that, snow can settle 20 times or more (in a heavy winter) only 6 km from our house, the falls can be heavy( up to a metre) only 12 km away,and snow is visible 7-9 months ( occasionally all year) only 25 km away. The morning after a big fall provides stunning views as the region has ranges on 3 sides, yet , I 've noticed that most people don,t usually comment about snow unless prompted as this is such a common event , snow as low as 100 m( maybe 1 in ten years)gets people talking. I don't have the benefit of google earth, which makes my search harder but even so, I don't think I've found a match, lots of places are close but, have snow too often, are too dry to get what is normal here or the mountains are just too far away.Of particular interest to me is our west coast region, where snow on the coast is rare but is only 25 km from what is possibly the highest ( I'm not certain about this though) annual snowfall on the planet.
I thought even in Nelson snow was more like a 1 in 10 year event, but you'd know better than me.

Some places in the South Island are surprisingly unsnowy, like Kaikoura on the east coast (I remember some news report about the first time there was snow lying on the beach there in 25 years or something). It's extremely minimum of like -0.6C is hardly believable too. Also surprising Hokitika on the west coast has reported a lower extreme minimum than Dunedin or Timaru.

Check out parts of Central Chile. Some of the peaks almost touch the ocean while the coast itself is practically snowless.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I thought even in Nelson snow was more like a 1 in 10 year event, but you'd know better than me.

Some places in the South Island are surprisingly unsnowy, like Kaikoura on the east coast (I remember some news report about the first time there was snow lying on the beach there in 25 years or something). It's extremely minimum of like -0.6C is hardly believable too. Also surprising Hokitika on the west coast has reported a lower extreme minimum than Dunedin or Timaru.

Check out parts of Central Chile. Some of the peaks almost touch the ocean while the coast itself is practically snowless.
The weather in Kaikoura often seems to be contrary, it was 24 at midnight 2 nights ago, often it has the highest max in winter and the coldest in summer, I think downslope winds are a big factor there. Hokitika and much of the west coast often get cold air descending down the river valleys, even so, I'm surprised it has a colder record low than east coast locations. There isn't much of a variation (in record lows) over the South Island although the west coast is not as frosty on the coast itself. Central Chiles' mountains appear to be 50 to 100 km from the ocean which would mean a typical South Island backdrop, further south ( in Chile) the mountains are closer but the coast is snowier.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The weather in Kaikoura often seems to be contrary, it was 24 at midnight 2 nights ago, often it has the highest max in winter and the coldest in summer, I think downslope winds are a big factor there. Hokitika and much of the west coast often get cold air descending down the river valleys, even so, I'm surprised it has a colder record low than east coast locations. There isn't much of a variation (in record lows) over the South Island although the west coast is not as frosty on the coast itself. Central Chiles' mountains appear to be 50 to 100 km from the ocean which would mean a typical South Island backdrop, further south ( in Chile) the mountains are closer but the coast is snowier.
Yeah doesn't make that much sense, does it. The West coast is much better (Hokitika getting 2000-3000 mm a year) so yes is less frost-prone. It seems when it gets very cold it's also prone though.

Actually I saw some peaks over 2,000 m less than 20 km from the coast in Central and Northern Chile, but splitting hairs for argument's sake, lol. I think we can agree both of these regions would have whatever you are looking for.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah doesn't make that much sense, does it. The West coast is much better (Hokitika getting 2000-3000 mm a year) so yes is less frost-prone. It seems when it gets very cold it's also prone though.

Actually I saw some peaks over 2,000 m less than 20 km from the coast in Central and Northern Chile, but splitting hairs for argument's sake, lol. I think we can agree both of these regions would have whatever you are looking for.
Any latitude numbers, or names of towns? I'm trying to isolate specific locations and northern Chile seems as though it might be too dry to give the feeling of living in a snowy place.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
I still think the big island of Hawaii could be a contender with Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa although I don't know if the summits are visible from the coast. I haven't been there so I can't comment. They may be shrouded in cloud much of the time but certainly the highest parts would have snow.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Any latitude numbers, or names of towns? I'm trying to isolate specific locations and northern Chile seems as though it might be too dry to give the feeling of living in a snowy place.
Yes the Atacama extends some way south, but looking at the map the peaks seemed to basically touch the coast at several points along the coast right down. Have a look at a relief map of Chile (a detailed one). There are places on the coast not far from Santiago which would fit the bill.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Mount Wellington in Hobart

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather