Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 PM

529 posts, read 1,009,245 times

Advertisements

I celebrate spring every 1st of February. Solar based spring that is. Maybe this is my Festivus? Who knows. But this is what I mean -

Look at the sun's declination on the 1st of every month and a pattern quickly emerges. Feb, Mar and Apr the sun really flies back north, at a clip of about 10/11 degrees per month. It slows in May, moving about 7 degrees, hardly moves at all in June and south about 4 degrees in July - solar summer. August is the start of solar fall when the sun moves 10 degrees south and it continues that pace in Sep and Oct. Nov, Dec and Jan are the Winter months.

Which brings us back to February. I welcome that passage back north every year with open arms. I might even celebrate it with a malted beverage or two. The contrast from the beginning of the month to the end is quite dramatic; the sun angle is such where even on a cold day my car is toasty warm on the inside. Tulips and other plants start their growth after being triggered by the longer days and birds begin to reappear from their winter grounds.

And for us our weather has followed the solar spring calendar this year. We had one cold week in Feb but have since had some warmer weather, some of our trees have even started budding.

Anyway, happy Spring everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
I've noticed the "movement" of the sun with the seasons for years. In the summer the sun sets to the northwest behind the Olympic Mountains. We get sun in the late evening hours right before sunset down the north side of our building in the summer. In the winter it doesn't even come close, and sets to the southwest of the Olympic Mountains.

The tilt of the Earth on its axis causes this and is directly related to the changing of the seasons.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Ahh, yes! You have to love that Analemma curve! And if you're fortunate enough to live in a place like Miami, the sun starts getting the summer look around mid March!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
I've always thought the same way as you do. Early February was always a relief for me as I knew the dark Nov-Dec-Jan period was over Especially when I used to live in France. In Hong Kong it was quite the opposite though, February is the beginning of the "sunshine winter", with a cloudiness maximum in the Feb-Mar-Apr season. Despite that, did you know that the Chinese calendar's seasons are entirely solar based? Their spring starts in early Feb, while their mid Autumn festival is around September 21.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
No February is just another long, depressing cold and cloudy winter month in England. Don't get the feel of spring here until May or maybe April if you're lucky and the sun is still weak as damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather