Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,598 times

Advertisements

I have seen palm trees in Raleigh NC, Delaware, and Atlantic City NJ but I assume that far north they are protected in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM

437 posts, read 1,300,660 times
Aleutian Islands, Faroe Islands, Chattham Islands.....

Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Palm trees grow on the western coasts of Scotland at 55 degrees North, which in North American terms is somewhere between Edmonton and Anchorage.

Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh - Logan Botanic Garden

(I haven't read all through the 13 pages, sorry if this has already been mentioned)

Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
The farthest north I have ever seen palms growing is in Tofino on Vancouver Island. I was there last new years and there were flowering bushes in bloom also. Now that's a long way north.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I'd love to live in a place with palm trees, beaches, vineyards, and mountains. Unfortunately so did everyone else and now all the lunatics live in SoCal.
Pretty much sums up where I live now

I think a lot of the candidates for the most northerly palm( of different species) may have gone to the big oasis in the sky after some of the cold spells. I grew up with palms all around the farm and wild ones in the bush and never get sick of them. There is about 200 palms of 18 different species where I am now, but I don't have the time to babysit any marginal species. I wouldn't think NZ has the highest latitude for any species ,could have some most southerly contenders though.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
Pretty much sums up where I live now

I think a lot of the candidates for the most northerly palm( of different species) may have gone to the big oasis in the sky after some of the cold spells. I grew up with palms all around the farm and wild ones in the bush and never get sick of them. There is about 200 palms of 18 different species where I am now, but I don't have the time to babysit any marginal species. I wouldn't think NZ has the highest latitude for any species ,could have some most southerly contenders though.
Is somewhere like Invercargill a place with many palm trees? I had a look at Google Street view on the streets there but couldn't find any palms except for your native cabbage palm (cordyline australis) which isn't even a true palm anyway.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Is somewhere like Invercargill a place with many palm trees? I had a look at Google Street view on the streets there but couldn't find any palms except for your native cabbage palm (cordyline australis) which isn't even a true palm anyway.
I believe we do not have palm tree down here in Invercargill

Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I believe we do not have palm tree down here in Invercargill
Really? why not? You are certainly mild enough in winter to support them.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:48 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
I did a bit more research and here's a site of a company in Denmark at 55-56N selling palm trees, and it seems some types can survive the winters.
Hardy Palm Trees in Scandinavia (http://www.palmeridanmark.dk/eng/default.htm - broken link)

And according to the Lonely Planet guide there are a few small potted palm trees in Kristiansand in southern Norway at 58N, but these can't survive the winters and are only kept outside in summer.
Norway - Google Books

Logically though the most northerly palm trees that can permanently live outdoors would be in Scotland, on some sheltered inlet or bay on the west coast.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM

497 posts, read 1,088,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
There are isolated CIDPs and windmills (Phoenix and Trachycarpus), but not many , you really have to look for them. They are as healthy and fast growing as I any I've seen elsewhere. I don't know why they aren't more common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather