Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:45 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
CC, does Cairns have coconut palms growing in it? I'm assuming it does? If they grow in Bermuda, then they must grow in Cairns, which is only a few degrees warmer, on average, than Bermuda in winter
Are you kidding?
From the pics I've seen, every coastal city in Queensland has coconut palms.
I think someone posted Gold Coast coconut palm pics, near the NSW border.

BUT

I have also seen fruiting coconut palms as far north as Melbourne, Florida.
So southern part of coastal, central Florida.

Surprisingly,
Gold Coast has slightly-warmer winter days than Brisbane with much warmer lows too,
despite Brisbane being to the northwest, but at least 10 km inland.

In Australia, going inland in winter usually brings chill.
Funny but even a 30 minute drive inland is still noticeably cooler.
I'm still caught off guard by how strong this trend is sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 05:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Sorry about that. I just don't understand the logic of Miami or Bermuda being on par or more tropical then Cairns.
Okay, how about Key West, Florida?

Only I think Key West's summer lows are still much higher. 27 C/80 F?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Sorry about that. I just don't understand the logic of Miami or Bermuda being on par or more tropical then Cairns.
In terms of mean temps…not real sure that is true:

I agree, Bermuda is not a good match of Cairns …however, in terms of monthly mean temps…there is little difference between Miami and Cairns; the three coldest months in Cairns average 69 to 70 F (20/21 C)….while the three coldest months in Miami average 67 to 68 F (19 to 20 C). Both stations are warmer than each other exactly half the year (Miami however has more months with a mean temp above 80 F than Cairns has). Lastly, the difference between the annual mean temps is less only 0.3 F between Miami and Cairns:

Cairns: CAIRNS AIRPORT, AUSTRALIA Weather History and Climate Data

Miami : MIAMI/WSO CITY, Weather History and Climate Data

Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Record low in Key West is 5°C and its climate is Aw, while Miami's is Am.

I think that, as far as your stated preferences go, your limit is southeast Cuba (near Guantánamo Bay) as far as the Caribbean goes. Somehow I think Havana would be a bit too chilly for you

Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
In terms of mean temps…not real sure that is true:

I agree, Bermuda is not a good match of Cairns …however, in terms of monthly mean temps…there is little difference between Miami and Cairns; the three coldest months in Cairns average 69 to 70 F (20/21 C)….while the three coldest months in Miami average 67 to 68 F (19 to 20 C). Both stations are warmer than each other exactly half the year (Miami however has more months with a mean temp above 80 F than Cairns has). Lastly, the difference between the annual mean temps is less only 0.3 F between Miami and Cairns:

Cairns: CAIRNS AIRPORT, AUSTRALIA Weather History and Climate Data

Miami : MIAMI/WSO CITY, Weather History and Climate Data
Like I stated in my correction, the only significant difference between Miami and Cairns is that Miami gets a few cold fronts every winter that lower the temps significantly (but it warms up back to normal a few days later) and Cairns's oceanic climate pattern makes it cooler than Miami in winter. If you factor in cold fronts, however infrequent they are anyway, then Miami is more like Rockhampton. Miami is also wetter than Cairns.
I looked at Wunderground to see how Cairns's forecasts were. Not a single day in Cairns reached past 80°F this past July, whereas Miami had days up to 85°F in the middle of January. All in all, Miami averaged 1°F warmer this January than Cairns did this July. That being said, Miami's temps have continental influences, as well as oceanic. While Cairns only as oceanic influences

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 10-08-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Like I stated in my correction, the only significant difference between Miami and Cairns is that Miami gets a few cold fronts every winter that lower the temps significantly (but it warms up back to normal a few days later) and Cairns's oceanic climate pattern makes it cooler than Miami in winter. If you factor in cold fronts, however infrequent they are anyway, then Miami is more like Rockhampton. Miami is also wetter than Cairns.
Yes, I think your are correct - there is not a huge difference between Cairns and Miami climate/temp wise. Even the cold fronts you mention are very fleeting in Miami - perhaps 3 or 4 nights in an average winter month will fall below 50 F/10 C (in some winters the low temps never fall below 50 F/10 C). Also, your right, Miami might have a low in the 40's but the next day the high will be right back in the 70's or 80's.

As far as rainfall, actually, Cairns is much wetter than Miami from what it looks like. This is why Miami gets so much more sun hours than Cairns. Cairns gets 84 inches to Miami's

Cairns rainfall: CAIRNS AIRPORT, AUSTRALIA Weather History and Climate Data

Miami rainfall: MIAMI WSO CITY, DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA USA Weather History and Climate Data

Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think your are correct - there is not a huge difference between Cairns and Miami climate/temp wise. Even the cold fronts you mention are very fleeting in Miami - perhaps 3 or 4 nights in an average winter month will fall below 50 F/10 C (in some winters the low temps never fall below 50 F/10 C). Also, your right, Miami might have a low in the 40's but the next day the high will be right back in the 70's or 80's.

As far as rainfall, actually, Cairns is much wetter than Miami from what it looks like. This is why Miami gets so much more sun hours than Cairns. Cairns gets 84 inches to Miami's

Cairns rainfall: CAIRNS AIRPORT, AUSTRALIA Weather History and Climate Data

Miami rainfall: MIAMI WSO CITY, DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA USA Weather History and Climate Data

Ahhh. I need to get my eyes checked then because the graph I looked at, I SWEAR Miami was wetter. I guess not. I guess it seems like Florida is our Queensland huh? I wonder if inland Queensland gets colder than inland Florida. By inland, I mean no more than 100mi west of the GDR. C.C.'s observations are correct, too. Tropical locations in the southern hemisphere are cooler than in the north, especially when latitude is taken into account

Old 10-08-2011, 07:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
Quote:
Also, your right, Miami might have a low in the 40's but the next day the high will be right back in the 70's or 80's.
[/url]
However short they may be, those continental cold fronts make all the difference vegetation wise. I did see a photo of a small fruiting breadfruit tree in a very protected spot on Key Biscayne, but one cold snap in January 2010 took away the years of borrowed time. There are large healthy lipstick palms in Cairns, but all of the lipstick palms in South Florida turned to mush after the same cold snap that killed the breadfruit trees, there was death even in the Keys. I heard from a nurseryman that a few survived on Key West, but were also cut back by the cold snap.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

I doubt Cairns ever gets sub 60*F days, but I get you. You need a constantly hot tropical savanna or equatorial climate

Old 10-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I doubt Cairns ever gets sub 60*F days, but I get you. You need a constantly hot tropical savanna or equatorial climate
I think it's accurate to say that CC is a living, breathing breadfruit tree If it a breadfruit trees grows somewhere, that place will suit CC just fine. I don't blame him, living in Canada would make people nuts after a while lol (unless you're Russian or Alaska Native/Inuit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather