Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM

578 posts, read 1,188,726 times

Advertisements

The last normal summer we had was probably in 2005.

June
Avg max: 22.8C / 73.0F
Avg min: 12.9C / 55.2F
Highest max: 33.0C / 91.4F
Lowest min: 5.8C / 42.4F
Precip: 32.6 mm / 1.3"
Days with precip: 9
Sunshine: 219 hours

July

Avg max: 23.3C / 73.9F
Avg min: 14.1C / 57.4F
Highest max: 31.0C / 87.8F
Lowest min: 10.0C / 50.0F
Precip: 45.8 mm / 1.8"
Days with precip: 11
Sunshine: 203 hours

August
Avg max: 23.2C / 73.8F
Avg min: 13.0C / 55.4F
Highest max: 31.8C / 89.2F
Lowest min: 11.0C / 51.8F
Precip: 42.4 mm / 1.7"
Days with precip: 9
Sunshine: 250 hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
PHOENIX:

Highest temperature: 100 on the 1st (second earliest occurrence of a 100 degree temperature)
Lowest temperature: 44 on the 10th
Average temperature: 74.2 (above normal)
Total precipitation: 0.27 inch (near normal)

Old 05-03-2011, 06:36 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Very pleased to report that we had well above average rainfall for the second month in a row .
Preliminaries: 206mm at Observatory Hill - highest April total since 1999 (244); 202 at the airport - 244 in 2003 and 180 Rose Bay (386 in 2007).

190 hours of sun for the month, most of the sun over the first two weeks, 7 days had daily totals exceeding 10 hours, total over this period amounted to 74 hours so the 3rd cloudy month in a row and the lowest April total in 3 years
YTD sun stands at 748, more than 105 hours below average

Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 AM

175 posts, read 324,096 times
University of Waterloo Weather Station Summary for April 2011:

Max Temperature: 22.3°C
Min Temperature: -3.6°C

Average Daily High: 10.9°C (11.4°C)
Average Daily Low: 1.3°C (0.6°C)

Total Precipitation: 136.5 mm (76.9 mm)

Values in bracket are normals for the period. Temperatures and precipitation are in metric (too lazy to convert, but the majority of people in this board are familiar with the metric system anyway ).

All in all, a really crappy month, though we get less snow than average (2 or 3 cm [an inch] vs. the average value of 8 cm [around 3 inches] for April). Really wet though (stated to be the wettest April 'since records began in the area in 1914'). This could also contribute to the fact that I was feeling cold most of the month, despite the seemingly average high/low temperature...

Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Philadelphia:
Avg Max = 66.4
Avg Min = 47.2
Mean = 56.8
Max High = 85
Lowest Min = 35
Clear Days = 0
Pt Cld Days = 12
Cloudy Days = 18
Precip = 5.29 in
Overall a cloudy and warmer than average month (about 3.7F above average). We didn't have one fully clear day all month. Not sure what is going on but I think an upper level low is stuck over Quebec, and it is dragging clouds over us all the time.
NYC and Philadelphia pretty much get the same weather/climate patterns 95% of the time. In NYC, I definitely noticed it was much more cloudier than usual for April and so far for May in NYC...

I am pretty sure NYC was overcast cloudy the entire day for 20 out of 30 days in April. There were 10 days that had sunshine but it seems like even those days had cloudy conditions for at least some part of those days. I think it was like Philadelphia with NYC also not having even one day where it was a fully sunny/clear for April or maybe Philadelphia was even cloudier than NYC the past month because maybe NYC at most had like 3 fully sunny/clear days. It seems like May will have similar weather patterns as April this year... At least winter is finally over in this area of the Northeast until probably November!

However, this past month Washington DC and even Philadelphia were 5 to 10 degrees warmer than NYC many of the days. And NYC was like 5 to 10 degrees warmer than Boston the past month many of the days too which means Boston was on average 10 to 15 degrees colder this past month than Washington DC and Philadelphia!

Also, can you believe Washington DC got only 6 inches of snow this past winter season while Philadelphia got like 40 inches(3 feet and 4 inches), NYC 65 inches(5 feet 5 inches), and Boston about 90 inches(7 feet and a half) This means Philly got like 6 times more snow than Washington DC, NYC 9 times more, and Boston 14 times more snow.

Last edited by ; 05-04-2011 at 01:57 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 AM

Wow, for a second there I actually thought England/UK had sunnier/drier/warmer weather than what many people say and weather statistics on wikipedia show. But I guess England/UK has a record sunny/dry/warm April so that is why it seems like that.

Wow, I didn't know the summers in England/UK the past 4 years in terms of weather were that bad with some of the months! No wonder so many people lately say how England/UK is so cloudy/wet/and not warm/hot so much of the time. I thought they were all wrong and exaggerating but I guess not.

If August 2008 over there had only 110 sunshine hours the entire month, I assume that means it had only like 10 days with sunshine out of 30 days. And if July 2010 had only 81 sunshine hours the entire month that means there was only 5 days with sunshine out of 30 days. It sounds like some of those "summer months" you mentioned felt more spring/fall like instead of feeling like actual summer.

It also seems like the months of October, November, December, January, February, and March in England/UK are almost always guaranteed to be mostly cloudy/overcast/and with not that much sunshine and with those cloudy/overcast conditions still being possible even in other months such as August 2008 and July 2010 that you mentioned.

Well despite the weather/climate over there, I still like England/UK a lot. It seems like a lot of people feel like that too, including people that live in England/UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
2007 had up to four times the average rainfall in June ( over 180mm in some areas) & July (most areas get 50-70mm in these months) and a cool july (1 degree C below average) then a cool August 1 C below average. Average highs in July ranged from 17-20C in most of the country instead of the average 20-23 degrees and with the permanent rain and cloud it was horrendous.

2008 had the a cool and windy june, then a wet July with twice the average rainfall followed by the dullest August since 1912 with only 110 hours sunshine or so.

2009 had a decent June but a wet July and average August.

2010 had a decent June, another a very cloudy July INDEED (less than half the average sunshine, only 81 hours here for example) then a cold and wet August (over 1 C colder than average) and considering our summers aren't very warm anyway it was dreadful.

For England in general (say an average English midlands location) a normal summer would see 40-60mm rain per month, 180-200 hours sunshine per month and of course average temperatures, which would mean average highs about 20-22 degrees celsius. Only about two summer months out of the last four summers has actually managed this combination or better (better being less rain, more sun etc..), with the rest having something like not enough sun or too much rain or too cold.

The last four summers remind me somewhat of the period of wanky summers in the 1980's speshly between 1985-1988 when there was lods of cold months, heavy rain and no heat. Four crap summers in a row. Now we've had another four, it would be lovely to think that this run will end and our main weather this summer will be warmth, sunshine and not much rain. Fat chance.

A good English summer, well summers like 1976, very little rainfall (droughts in some places) over 300 hours sun per month, and average highs for the month of 2-4 degrees above average so more like 25-26 degrees than 20-22 degrees, also summer 1989 and 1990 had some good warm months, as did 1995. July 2006 was the warmest on record with London Heathrow having an average maximum temp of 28.3°C (83°F) in that month.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
NYC and Philadelphia pretty much get the same weather/climate patterns 95% of the time. In NYC, I definitely noticed it was much more cloudier than usual for April and so far for May in NYC...

I am pretty sure NYC was overcast cloudy the entire day for 20 out of 30 days in April. There were 10 days that had sunshine but it seems like even those days had cloudy conditions for at least some part of those days. I think it was like Philadelphia with NYC also not having even one day where it was a fully sunny/clear for April or maybe Philadelphia was even cloudier than NYC the past month because maybe NYC at most had like 3 fully sunny/clear days. It seems like May will have similar weather patterns as April this year... At least winter is finally over in this area of the Northeast until probably November!
I generally agree with your assessment. It wasn't a full day, but there was one morning/early afternoon with clear skies. Lasted maybe 5 or 6 hours before it clouded up.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

However, this past month Washington DC and even Philadelphia were 5 to 10 degrees warmer than NYC many of the days. And NYC was like 5 to 10 degrees warmer than Boston the past month many of the days too which means Boston was on average 10 to 15 degrees colder this past month than Washington DC and Philadelphia!

Also, can you believe Washington DC got only 6 inches of snow this past winter season while Philadelphia got like 40 inches(3 feet and 4 inches), NYC 65 inches(5 feet 5 inches), and Boston about 90 inches(7 feet and a half) This means Philly got like 6 times more snow than Washington DC, NYC 9 times more, and Boston 14 times more snow.

I'm getting really tired of the clouds. Since March it seems like we get 3 days of clouds then 1 day of sun. I think our sun went to Europe and we got their clouds.

As far as the snow here this past winter,it is bizarre considering DC is 2 hours south of here. We avg 20" of snow in winter, yet the last two we've been blasted with crazy amounts.

I've lived in DC before, and I have to say they have a better winter than Philly. It may not seem like it on paper, but to my eye they have more green foliage in winter. There are more broadleaf evergreen trees in DC than here. I noticed beautiful southern magnolia trees all over the place and other large green trees (in winter).

Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Vancouver International Airport:
April 2011

Average high: 10.4C
Average low: 3.9C
Average: 7.2C
Max high: 13.7C on April 26
Low high: 6.0C on April 4
Max low: 7.2C on April 26
Min low: -0.2C on April 15
Total precip: 90.8mm
Total snowfall: 0cm
Number of frosts: 1

Overall a very deplorable month. The average temperature was 3C below average and rainfall was slightly above average.
The downtown station ceased operations in the middle of March for some strange reason so I don't have the figures for there but I imagine it was slightly warmer. I know the suburb of White Rock hit a whopping 17.5C on the warmest day last month

Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm getting really tired of the clouds. Since March it seems like we get 3 days of clouds then 1 day of sun. I think our sun went to Europe and we got their clouds.

As far as the snow here this past winter,it is bizarre considering DC is 2 hours south of here. We avg 20" of snow in winter, yet the last two we've been blasted with crazy amounts.

I've lived in DC before, and I have to say they have a better winter than Philly. It may not seem like it on paper, but to my eye they have more green foliage in winter. There are more broadleaf evergreen trees in DC than here. I noticed beautiful southern magnolia trees all over the place and other large green trees (in winter).

I am also getting really tired of the clouds in the Northeastern USA lately.
It felt like it was cloudy almost everyday this April and it unfortunately seems like it will be like that for May. I think there was only one day the entire month of April when I was outside while it was sunny/with sunshine outside

It seems like the year 2011 in general so far has below average sunshine while most of the year 2010(last year) had above average sunshine.

Yeah, it so strange that Washington DC got only 6 inches of snow this past winter season while Philadelphia got like 40 inches(3 feet and 4 inches), NYC 65 inches(5 feet 5 inches), and Boston about 90 inches(7 feet and a half) This means Philly got like 6 times more snow than Washington DC, NYC 9 times more, and Boston 14 times more snow.

Actually, most years Washington DC is usually noticeably warmer than New York City and Boston, and having much less snow than Boston. Washington's average snowfall is 15 inches while for Boston it is 41 inches.

This goes to show that these 4 cities do not have completely identical weather/climates like some people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I generally agree with your assessment. It wasn't a full day, but there was one morning/early afternoon with clear skies. Lasted maybe 5 or 6 hours before it clouded up.
Thanks for agreeing with my assessment! Can you give me a +1 rep point then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather