Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times

Advertisements

The weather channel does a decent job.

Forecasts for local conditions are better handled by local meteorologists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
I live up here in Alaska. Not once have I seen anything on Alaska. Up here we get remnants of typhoons that batter Japan, those never make it on the show. We don't get any maps or anything on Alaska. They must think we're still a part of Russia or Canada.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I live up here in Alaska. Not once have I seen anything on Alaska. Up here we get remnants of typhoons that batter Japan, those never make it on the show. We don't get any maps or anything on Alaska. They must think we're still a part of Russia or Canada.
You know you are right. I never thought about it but they don't ever show anything about Alaska unless maybe it's a snowstorm video or something. I didn't realize that until now. Also, no Hawaii, but how often do they have any weather at all there?

Old 10-31-2007, 07:50 AM

265 posts, read 665,188 times
People make fun of the weather channel where I live.
For examples : They have a joke e-mail going around about a " dangerous cloud " and how it might develop into something scary!
And people place bets on how many times a weather person spokesperson
can say the word " hurricane" in one broadcast.
It's all about ratings; the more advertisement they sell; the more money they make and hurricanes and bad weather makes them happy.
The gig is up, folks!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
Folks,

I used to LOVE TWC. No more - its fate with me was sealed with these three words:

ANIMAL STORM STORIES

(The Weather Channel : Press Releases (broken link))

(PC Disclaimer: Yes, I am a lover of pets. And, no, I do not wish harm to any animals.)

Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Folks,

I used to LOVE TWC. No more - its fate with me was sealed with these three words:

ANIMAL STORM STORIES
Totally agree..Storm Stories, Animal Storm Stories, It Could Happen Tomorrow, Atmospheres, Abrams and Bettes, Weekend chit-chat-on-the-couch "weather" show a la the Today Show...and the list goes on...did I miss any?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:03 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Houstoun ain't the South.
And Richmonde isn't on the East Coast. Do you think that Texas is all desert from those California movies?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:26 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
The local forecasts on the weather channel are a joke for my area. Every extended range forecast is always much warmer than other forecasts indicate. The weather channel definitely has a warm bias toward their forecasts. (at least for my area)

Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
I've noticed a warm bias for my area too...they're always way too warm for parts of the metro. Especially during the winter when you really have to forecast the weather instead of putting it on automatic like they do for the summer when the temp hardly waivers from upper 70s at night to upper 90s to near 100 in the day...

Old 11-23-2007, 05:27 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Actually, the Mid Atlantic is New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Deleware.

I have a map of the Southeast and Virginia is on it. Its really a South Atlantic state.

Most maps list Virginia on the Southeast.

Perhaps in recent years because of immigration from the Northeast Virginia is lumped in with the "Mid Atlantic".

Its climate is also Southeast. We have a humid sub tropical climate in Virginia. Like the Carolinas.

If Tennessee is "Mid South", it makes sense that Virginia is part of the Upper South and is where the South begins.

how is WV part of the south?, it's got more characteristics of the Northeast or midwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather