Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,533 times

Advertisements

I know it's a bit early, but has anyone heard any preliminary forecasts for the upcoming Winter, 2007-2008?

Cold and snowy? Warm and rainy? Cold and dry? Etc.....

Looking mainly for info regarding midwest and Eastern U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,669,583 times
as of last month, noaa was predicting a warmer than normal pattern for southeastern states as well as a drier than normal. don't know about the rest of the country and have not checked to see if they have revised this recently or not.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:26 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,830 times
I'm worried for this winter. It's already getting a tad chilly here in upstate NY and it's MID SEPTEMBER. Even worse, all my family in Florida JUST recently moved out of state. I have nowhere warm to go!

Maybe I should just spend my entire winter break camping in the Everglades...

Old 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,758 times
Farmers almanac predicts a VERY snowy winter in the North East.. we're already gettin in the 30's here in south NH and northern NH is getting frost at nights

Old 09-14-2007, 01:19 PM

All I can say is I hope this Winter is FINALLY a decently cold and snowy Winter for us here in SW Ohio.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:28 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,669,583 times
LOL, I agree here as well. I can't remember the last time our ground froze. That means way more bugs and insects for summer. The local powers that be say we are getting more tropical. all I know is I can't remember the last time we had a decent snow either.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:41 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,026,356 times
The long range predictions according to the NOAA looks for a mild winter here in New England.

Temperatures are predicted to be much above average for Sept. Oct. and November
Above average from December through March.

Precipitation looks to average near normal for the next 6 months.

For the summer of 2007 thus far in Connecticut, June and August had above normal temperatures and July was normal.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-15-2007 at 04:51 AM..

Old 09-15-2007, 12:20 PM

Seems like a lot of "predictions" in recent years have all called for above-normal temps, regardless of precip amounts. Are we ever going to see a forecast that calls for below-normal temps? I mean, I'm seriously ready for another hard-core snowy Winter.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
News for Winchester Industries:The Ultimate Energy Efficient Vinyl Replacement Windows and Doors

Here's an article that kind of summarizes what the Farmer's Almanac predicted. Unfortunately, it doesn't look good in my area.

The article also says that the Almanac has an 80-85% accuracy rate. I've been wondering what their average is.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,116 times
Default Hi Jammie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
News for Winchester Industries:The Ultimate Energy Efficient Vinyl Replacement Windows and Doors

Here's an article that kind of summarizes what the Farmer's Almanac predicted. Unfortunately, it doesn't look good in my area.

The article also says that the Almanac has an 80-85% accuracy rate. I've been wondering what their average is.
According to that link...

The 2007 Farmers' Almanac, released August 28, 2006, predicts the frigid temperatures, as much as 20 degrees below seasonal norms (and nearly 40 degrees colder than last winter), for Montana, the Dakotas and parts of Wyoming. For the Gulf Coast up through New England, unseasonably cold, or "shivery," conditions are expected.

Snow, and lots of it, is also forecast for the nation's midsection, parts of New England, and the mountains of the Pacific Northwest.
[B]"The Great Lakes and Ohio River Valley may be the only area spared the extreme cold," reveals Sandi Duncan, Philom., Managing Editor, "but this is not to say this area won't be without its cold spells and significant snowfalls."[/b]

Well Rob, looks like we might finally have a better winter than recent years! Of course last year was my first Michigan winter...and I'm told it was mild. Seemed cold to me! Of course my point of reference is previously living in southern California, Oklahoma, and south Texas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather