Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I just wish you guys could package all that extra rainfall and send it here to us, we are baking and very much in need of rain. Oh well, we must endure once again..
It must be awful this year. I saw on TWC this morning that Birmingham and Memphis are having consecutive days of record-breaking high temps. And the developing La Nina isn't going to help in the short run, but hang in there. Maybe next year will be a rainfall bonanza, and the La Nina effect could help bring some tropical storms your way even though it tends to dry out the southeast in the absence of such storms.

To put it in perspective, last summer Austin seemed like it was going to spontaneously burst into flames, it was so hot and dry. This year we're near record-levels of rainfall so far. Things always change. Maybe you could rent a place in Vermont for a few months, watch the fall colors, and get back to the SE before winter sets in up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 11:04 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,469 times
Oh, your words painted a vivid picture in my mind, renting in Vermont. Just thinking about it and envisioning it in my mind is lessening my stress from the heat.

What a wonderful thought to give someone, thank you so very much. It has brightened my day considerably.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
Anthony, which one (s) of the computer models do you find to be the most accurate?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,051 times
Thank you all for the support -- yall are wonderful

Evey, the EMCWF model historically does the best with Atlantic Tropical Systems. However, with Dean I have been leaning more with the GFS and Erin, the NAM.

To pick the models, you look at its performance with the storm, see if it is matching up with the speed of the storm, and look whether or not it is factoring the outside players as well (high/low pressure/steering currents).

My next update looks like will be inside of Erin -- I'm in San Antonio and the current track puts me on the dreaded NE Quadrant.. lol

Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Ok, after getting 8 inches of rain today and more in some places, everyone is all hyped about Dean now. Anthony what are your thoughts?????

Old 08-16-2007, 09:11 PM

Are you sure you want to hear them? We had 8" here in SA too and the entire town flooded.

There is still plenty of disagreement with the models on where the projected path will be, but there is agreement that Dean will most likely reach Category 5 status. At this point, I think it is fairly safe to rule out an East Coast landfall. Even Western Florida stands a lowered chance of getting a landfall from Dean as the high pressure aloft will push Dean westward. The key to the track will be where it makes landfall, if it makes landfall, across the Yucatan... the further south it hits the yucatan, the further south the Gulf track will be,

IF it barely clips the Yucatan or misses it entirely, then I fear bigtime for Texas.

Erin has created a weakness in the atmosphere, similar to that of June/July .. that would bring system after system from the Gulf. Rather than waves, this could be Mean Dean.

I really hope I'm wrong with this one.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Erin has created a weakness in the atmosphere, similar to that of June/July .. that would bring system after system from the Gulf. Rather than waves, this could be Mean Dean.
I thought that tropical storms tend to stir up the ocean, bringing cooler waters to the surface and thus weakening subsequent storms that follow similar paths. Not to say that a Tropical Depression Dean wouldn't be a disaster for flooding Texas, but didn't Erin take some of the heat energy out of the Gulf?

Old 08-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Erin was not in the Gulf long enough to have much of an effect, if any, with sea surface temperatures -- Dean will have plenty of bathwater to work with.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:55 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Talked about 2 hours ago with St. Croix - you could hear the wind howling and the guy I was talking with said it was getting downright scary.....then there was so much rain we couldn't talk anymore and they lost power. On St. Croix it could be DAYS coming back - but I'm assuming unless Dean heads completely off course and hangs a hard right that the USVI and PR will only see the tropical rain? Is that what's still being called for in spite of the intensifying?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Dean will have plenty of bathwater to work with.
Bathwater? Your wording is great!

Water temps in the upper 80s and low 90s is rather ominous. I guess Dean is going to go Howard Dean on whatever land mass it hits.

"And then we're going to Martinique, and then we're going to Jamaica, and then we're going to the Yucatan, and then we're gonna take back the mainland, HEEEYYYAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!"

What an aptly-named storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather