Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times

Advertisements

So, if and when the storm forms, and moves closer, the computer model lines will then change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
The computer models are constantly being updated with new information and they frequently conflict with prior models. It's still remotely possible that the storm could follow a track vastly outside the lines drawn by the combined forecast models. Weather is chaotic and forecasting the path of a hurricane is very difficult, although computer modeling has become vastly more accurate over the past couple decades.

But even if 200 different models say that the storm will hit between Veracruz and Brownsville, that doesn't rule out the possibility that every model is wrong and some unforeseen event will shift the storm towards Florida. It's all based on probabilities, and the likelihood of such a radical shift is so low that nobody bothers to discuss it. Maybe it's only a one-in-a-million chance. Whereas it's a one-in-a-thousand chance that it will nail Houston or Costa Rica, so those places pay more attention and do a bit of preparation "just in case."

Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
Yes, remember never to take each computer models track as law. I look for them to see what trends they present with each passing run (00Z, 06Z, 12Z, and 18Z) so that we can get a rough idea of where the storm will move. As you can see with Dean, while it was in Africa -- we were able to deduct this into a Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico storm. This new development looks like it will stay in the Atlantic, and potentially effect the east coast, unless it recurves and moves out to sea.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 AM

thanks guys. I just wish there were some hope for us, this neverending heat and drought has taken it's toll on most everything around here. As bad as I hate to say it, I feel it will take a tropical system to knock us back to some tolerable weather.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM

Watch what you say We were saying that in Texas last year, and that kept us flooded this year.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe you could just figure out a way to er ship some of that rain to us, UPS maybe???

Old 08-20-2007, 12:25 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I just wish there were some hope for us, this neverending heat and drought has taken it's toll...
Like AnthonySA said, there is hope for you. Just stick around, no weather pattern persists forever. You'll get your rain, and in the meantime you can see what it's like to live in Odessa, Texas during a "normal" year.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 PM

I really don't want to hurt your feelings, but ya know, I don't like the new color my grass and trees are this year, brown just isn't my color. So, I do think I'll stick to the green, if I can ever find it again.

ps. I really don't like your weather.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM

Before I go any deeper, this system in the atlantic has a lot more organizing to do before it even becomes a threat. However, looking at a synoptic level of where this storm could hit, I see three different options in terms of potential storm track (assuming this develops):

1: Notice the upper level ridge off the East Coast, if this holds, and this storm moves west -- steering currents would push this storm SW into the Bahamas/Florida

2: The ridge over the SE collapses as a few models project which would leave the east coast at risk for landfall.

3: This storm which is currently moving to the WNW would get caugh around the other ridge and push back east out to sea

Having said that, I buy into options 1 and 2 the most right now. In terms of strength, I give it a 50% chance of organizing to Tropical Depression status, 30% chance of reaching Tropical Storm status, and 10% chance of reaching Hurricane status --- not using conservative figures.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:42 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Can someone tell me what else is going on in the tropics?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather