Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I was in southern England during the dead of winter, and I was surprised at how mild the weather was (during the latter half of my visit). One thing that amazed me, green grass in January and a Canary Date Palm! Only other place I've seen green during winter is Puerto Rico and Florida, obviously.
Really that's surprising.... Philly isn't that much colder than here in winter and we also have green grass in the winter. It must be the species of grass that exists in maritime climates that's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Really that's surprising.... Philly isn't that much colder than here in winter and we also have green grass in the winter. It must be the species of grass that exists in maritime climates that's different.
I don't know. The grass looked similar to mine in Windsor. But, I didn't really pay much attention I just saw that the ground was green.

Philly is a bit cooler than Vancouver in winter.......as long as no cold fronts move in from your country My area can get around 10°C if no cold fronts move in for at least a week, but that only happens for about a week per winter. Philly is pretty cold in winter, trust me. I only live 90 miles west of it

Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Philly is not warm in winter compared to Vancouver and it doesn't have green grass during winter. I spent a lot of time in Philly in the past and, believe me, those Alberta Clippers are killer sometimes (literally when it concerns non-native plant life)
Interesting.. it must be the cold snaps then cause the averages don't look that far apart:

Vancouver:
December - 43/33
January - 43/33
February - 46/35

Philly:
December - 44/31
January - 39/26
February - 42/28

Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Interesting.. it must be the cold snaps then cause the averages don't look that far apart:

Vancouver:
December - 43/33
January - 43/33
February - 46/35

Philly:
December - 44/31
January - 39/26
February - 42/28
That's the main difference between Philly and Vancouver. Vancouver isn't subject to really cold polar air masses on a periodic basis like Philly is. Vancouver is consistently mild whereas Philly bounces between mild and very cold.

History : Weather Underground

*By the way, on the top-right corner of the page is a small icon that you click on and it switches between °F/°C

See a few days are above average temps, most are at average and some are below average and a couple are really below average. Vancouver doesn't have that.

Also, my region and Philly are in USDA Hardiness Zone 6 (some maps put both my area and Philly at 7), whereas Vancouver is Hardiness Zone 8

Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
That's the main difference between Philly and Vancouver. Vancouver isn't subject to really cold polar air masses on a periodic basis like Philly is. Vancouver is consistently mild whereas Philly bounces between mild and very cold.

History : Weather Underground

*By the way, on the top-right corner of the page is a small icon that you click on and it switches between °F/°C

See a few days are above average temps, most are at average and some are below average and a couple are really below average. Vancouver doesn't have that.

Also, my region and Philly are in USDA Hardiness Zone 6 (some maps put both my area and Philly at 7), whereas Vancouver is Hardiness Zone 8

You're exactly right. The cold fronts are the reason we have such low winter averages, considering we are at the same latitude as Naples, Italy. On a bright sunny winter day with little wind it is not bad at all. It's the cold mornings and evenings that make winter here tough. We average around 24 days a winter (Dec, Jan, Feb) with highs over 50F, but also average 14 days where the temp doesn't break 32F. That is the major difference I would think.

As far as hardiness zones, I think the airport is zone 6b (outside the city) and 7a in the city proper.

Kind of getting off topic about optimum beach weather though. I'd say we get around 4 months of good beach weather. In June the air is low 80's for high temps, but the water is usually in the 60's. In Sept the water is in the low to mid 70's and the air is usually upper 70's.

Below are photos of two of my fav beaches in our area. The first is on the Del Coast (Fenwick Island) where at various locations you can park and walk right over the dunes to the uncrowded beach. The second is Island Beach State Park in NJ which is only around 60 miles from downtown Philly.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You're exactly right. The cold fronts are the reason we have such low winter averages, considering we are at the same latitude as Naples, Italy. On a bright sunny winter day with little wind it is not bad at all. It's the cold mornings and evenings that make winter here tough. We average around 24 days a winter (Dec, Jan, Feb) with highs over 50F, but also average 14 days where the temp doesn't break 32F. That is the major difference I would think.

As far as hardiness zones, I think the airport is zone 6b (outside the city) and 7a in the city proper.

Kind of getting off topic about optimum beach weather though. I'd say we get around 4 months of good beach weather. In June the air is low 80's for high temps, but the water is usually in the 60's. In Sept the water is in the low to mid 70's and the air is usually upper 70's.

Below are photos of two of my fav beaches in our area. The first is on the Del Coast (Fenwick Island) where at various locations you can park and walk right over the dunes to the uncrowded beach. The second is Island Beach State Park in NJ which is only around 60 miles from downtown Philly.

Wow.. those are some really nice beaches.. it makes our beaches look pretty pathetic.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Wow.. those are some really nice beaches.. it makes our beaches look pretty pathetic.
Hehe. Jersey Shore is not just a TV show, you know .

Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
To me, West Coast beaches are more scenic, but you can't get in and enjoy them like ours. The water and air too cold, except for So Cal.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
To me, West Coast beaches are more scenic, but you can't get in and enjoy them like ours. The water and air too cold, except for So Cal.
I agree with this: American east coast beaches lean towards being big, wide, sandy, and having decent summer water temperatures ( I think it was last year I noticed that New York had a week of warmer water than Hawaii ), where as the American west coast beaches have picturesque mountain backdrops and frigid rip-tides that suck the life out of you.

Northern California beaches are so, so deceptive.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
I don't know. The grass looked similar to mine in Windsor. But, I didn't really pay much attention I just saw that the ground was green.

Philly is a bit cooler than Vancouver in winter.......as long as no cold fronts move in from your country My area can get around 10°C if no cold fronts move in for at least a week, but that only happens for about a week per winter. Philly is pretty cold in winter, trust me. I only live 90 miles west of it
Get yourself to northern England.. last winter after 2 weeks of snow cover, the grass was brown and dead.

The beaches of southern England are really lovely.. you wouldn't guess they were actually in England.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather