Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: New York, NY vs. Wellington, NZ
New York City 15 51.72%
Wellington 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:39 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times

Advertisements

Here are two climates that are at approximately the same distance from the equator, have roughly the same average annual mean temperature and even the same average annual precipitation. NYC is quite a bit sunnier though.
Which would you choose?

I'd choose Wellington for sure because the record low temperature (-1.9°C) is higher than NYC's average low temperature in its coldest month

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wellington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
New York without even thinking.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:51 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
I went for New York because the winters are only slighter colder than Buxton but with vastly sunnier weather in the year and a proper summer.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:54 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Here are two climates that are at approximately the same distance from the equator, have roughly the same average annual mean temperature and even the same average annual precipitation. NYC is quite a bit sunnier though.
Which would you choose?

I'd choose Wellington for sure because the record low temperature (-1.9°C) is higher than NYC's average low temperature in its coldest month

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wellington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Wellington data is already out of date - the 30-year sunshine mean is 2113 hours, not 2066. Also, note that the site used is 126m ASL - the mean at sea level is 0.9C (1.6F) higher.

The windiness is notorious, though it's less well-known that there are suburban pockets that are quite sheltered, because of the complicated topography - I live in one of them but can walk to the middle of the CBD in 15 minutes through a garden setting. Beaches located on the coasts northwest of the city are reasonably warm, unlike those facing Cook Strait and most of the east coast ones as far north as Napier. Air quality is far superior to that in most cities, unsurprisingly. With the possible exception of Rio and San Francisco, I rate the harbour views as much better than any others I've seen. The CBD is compact and easy to walk around.

As an after thought - nothing I've seen in movie scenes and other images around NYC suggests that air quality has improved all that much. I had a great stay there in the late 60s and will go back one day - but the pollution then looked really bad. Melbourne - in much more recent times - did not impress in that regard either.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:23 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Here are two climates that are at approximately the same distance from the equator, have roughly the same average annual mean temperature and even the same average annual precipitation.
Interesting observation - I'd never noticed that. As for which climate I'd prefer, I have to call it a draw. A humid New York summer without many/any cool spells wouldn't be for me, as it's been mentioned before on this forum that the hottest month ever in London would be one of the coolest Julys ever in New York if not the coolest. Whereas on the other hand Wellington has a winter cool enough to be a minor nuisance yet with little/no chance of actual winter weather - I don't see the point in that to be honest, but at least it's not too far from guaranteed snow in the mountains. I'd prefer Wellington's changeable maritime day-to-day weather to big winter temperature swings, but I'd imagine NYC gets more thunderstorms as well as big snowstorms and generally more interesting weather phenomena. 2113 hours or 2535 hours of sun doesn't matter to me as either would be more than I've ever seen in a year. Too close to call.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:25 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,288 times
Wellington looks pretty stable, but I don't think I could live with a 70*F high as the warmest time of the year, probably a slim chance at a heat wave as well. New York because it has a few months of tropical weather.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Wellington

Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Interesting observation - I'd never noticed that. As for which climate I'd prefer, I have to call it a draw. A humid New York summer without many/any cool spells wouldn't be for me, as it's been mentioned before on this forum that the hottest month ever in London would be one of the coolest Julys ever in New York if not the coolest. Whereas on the other hand Wellington has a winter cool enough to be a minor nuisance yet with little/no chance of actual winter weather - I don't see the point in that to be honest, but at least it's not too far from guaranteed snow in the mountains. I'd prefer Wellington's changeable maritime day-to-day weather to big winter temperature swings, but I'd imagine NYC gets more thunderstorms as well as big snowstorms and generally more interesting weather phenomena. 2113 hours or 2535 hours of sun doesn't matter to me as either would be more than I've ever seen in a year. Too close to call.
It should also be noted that in the adjoining Hutt Valley, mean summer maxima are about 2C higher, mean winter minima 3C lower. Over the nearby Rimutaka hills in southern Wairarapa there is a drier climate (800mm per year at Martinborough) with a much larger diurnal range, though surprisingly the climate is not noticeably sunnier.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Wellington - Cloudier and much more comfortable summers.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Very hard to say...Wellington sounds pretty awful most of the year. With those gusty winds you'd need to bring a jacket out pretty much all the time. At least NYC gets some balmy weather. I can't believe I'm saying this but I might be leaning to New York. I think Wellington is one of the worst climates in NZ. Even Dunedin might be preferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather