Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,937 times

Advertisements

For the people who don't like summer, do you not have air conditioning in your home? Because my air conditioner is not working right now. Its not even all that hot out this week. Nothing compared to some of our heat waves last summer. Even with this modest spell of humidity, it is already getting uncomfortable inside.

I think if I didn't have air conditioning, i would prefer more of a milder summer. Still warm during the day, but a nice breeze at night when you are trying to sleep. I remember when i was a little kid, we didn't have air conditioning until i was in about 8th grade. I still had fun during the summer, but i spent a lot more time swimming and playing in the sprinkler.

Since that time, I think i have gotten a bit spoiled having A/C all these years. For the record, I still like summer much better than winter. But I can definitely better sympathize with people who don't have A/C and complain about the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,891 times
My A.C isn't up right now.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,467,594 times
Turned it off a couple of hours ago (10pm). I don't hate summer. I just rather keep windows open than use AC and dislike it when that is not an option.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 PM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
My A/C is set on 80F while I am at work, but is going to go down to 75F one hour before I go home. We had 100F+ outside so it will make me feel nice and cool when I get home

Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 PM

156 posts, read 288,821 times
We grew up without air conditioning as well, but you have an advantage over my situation because you at least had sprinklers and a pool. Living in the inner-city with a mom who was accustomed to no air-conditioning due to her own upbringing, all we could do is put a 3-speed fan in an open window and pray for rain!

My a.c. was blowing out hot air up until a few weeks ago; I was miserable until the heating and cooling guy came and added refrigerant and now we're good to go.

People can call me spoiled if they want, but after living several summers in what felt like an incinerator, I don't care lol...

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,877 times
As a hardcore gardener, I LOVE summer! But I have to hurry up and get all my landscaping done by the middle of June, because summer doesn't like me. I get heat sickness very easily. It doesn't even have to be that hot out. I wasn't always like this. Just in the last 10 yrs has it become an issue. I also used to love fishing. Now, 1 hour out at the lake, and my face is fire red, I feel faint, and I start to get really sick to the stomach. It's like I'm "cooking" inside. I hate it!

EDIT: It can be zero degrees outside, and I'm running out to the garage with a lightweight jacket on. For some reason, my body now runs on the warm side. It has to be severely, bitter cold outside before I break out the winter coat.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
We don't have central air, but we do have window units which do a good job of cooling the house. Just this afternoon I cleaned and installed my window unit, but I'm not sure if it will work or not. I'll try to wait as long as I can before I turn it on, but I doubt I'll last very long.

Downstairs is still comfortably cool (68 F last I checked). Had the windows opened last night and closed them up early this morning.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,397,699 times
AC has been running since probably late Feb. Set on 72 with window unit in bedroom set on 68, I think I would die without AC I HATE SUMMER!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
AC has been running since probably late Feb. Set on 72 with window unit in bedroom set on 68, I think I would die without AC I HATE SUMMER!
Does anyone live in Houston without A/C? I would highly doubt it!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
I love Summer! The bright heat and sun are my bread and butter, along with the long daylight hours. Makes me feel strong and energetic.My AC is up, but I enjoy the warmth and turn it on only if I cant sleep. I live in NY but was born in Miami and spent a lot of time there to visit family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather