Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
For what it's worth, I love a cold rain with wind to boot, outside of winter (as long as it isn't pouring all the time).

My ideal weather during the "summer months" is in the 60's for highs, but that sort of weather certainly isn't a real summer, which is the one season I care to eliminate. However, I consider the intersection of many heat lover's winters with many cold lover's summers to be quite interesting, as the same weather seems to be preferred at opposite times of the year.

Of course. Different people have different optima, some of which fall within subzero or triple-digit temperatures (Fahrenheit), and some of which fall around a mild 60 or 70 Fahrenheit.

That is true. It amuses me to read heat lovers complaining about disrespect for their weather preferences at the hands of the cold-oriented when far more disregard for differing preferences comes from heat lovers, directed against cold lovers. Sometimes the very same people disregarding, disrespecting, and attacking preferences for cold weather as unnatural, inhuman, or somehow wrong, are the ones complaining of their preferences being disrespected. There is disrespect on both sides, for instance saying heat lovers don't really love heat because they have air conditioning or can't exercise in heat, but are somehow delusional, and on one forum I saw disparaging heat-lovers as "lizards" (I admit it was refreshing to see some vitriol in the opposite direction). However there seems to be far more disregard for winter people than the other way round. Perhaps because they are not the "in-crowd" when it comes to Western culture, cold lovers seem to have a better grasp of the subjectivity of weather preferences.

However, every participant has the capacity for respect, and everyone's preferences should be respected, as there is no objective rightness when it comes to climate or weather, except as it relates to an individual's own preferences or activities.

We're here to discuss weather and explore our own and each other's preferences, so the hot versus cold arguments are worth having, at least as it relates to rationales for prefering or hating certain weather. This is something of interest and can be a learning experience, but attempting to prove each other "wrong" is fruitless. Many statements made about general people are valid as it relates to observations and anecdotes. For instance, cold rain seems to be quite unpopular is a valid statement, at least as far as my experience is concerned.

But again, we must remember all this is subjective, and this argument we're getting in concerning what "everyone" or "noone" likes or dislikes in weather, having a tinge of an assertion of objectivity, is stupid and will end up being counterproductive and disparaging towards the preferences of all concerned.
I fully agree. You can search my post history thoroughly, you will never find any disrespect towards anyone's preferences. I think it is equally stupid to disrespect cold lovers' tastes.

I'm not asking that everyone shares my preference, I am just tired of reading "you heat lovers don't actually enjoy heat, you just say this because you haven't really experienced it/you don't stay outside long enough/you rely too much on AC/you are being sarcastic/etc." All of this is wrong. Some freaks like me just enjoy 80°F/90's°F temps on a daily basis and handle it perfectly well, that's it. 90°F won't make me sweat, just like 0°F won't make some people shiver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
I agree with the OP, I don't get what's the big deal with tropical places. If I were given the choice between Alaska and Hawai'i for a holiday, I'd probably choose Alaska.
Anything above 70 is hot to me, which sucks considering I live in SoCal and that's considered the "normal" temperature.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
For me, weather above 30C isn't "beautiful weather" to me. It's rather hot. But each to their own.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:49 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
During the summertime, I say good weather is something like: morning low around 7C with fog, heating up to around 18C with sun during the daytime. Anything above 23C is too hot.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,657,285 times
Warm in the day and coolish night with warm beaches. Sub/tropical highland is perfect, and decent morning sun. I'm OK woth cloudy afternoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
18 and foggy in the morning, heating up to 31C and sunny, cooling off with an afternoon storm down to 25C, and a cool evening breeze taking it down to 22 again is eventful summer weather for me.
If it were about 4-6 C cooler would be perfect, and still warm in nearest beach (sub/tropical hi-land)

Old 03-30-2015, 04:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
When it comes to weather i like diversity, some cool days,some warm days some rainy days,some foggy days,some windy days. What i dont like is 8-9 months of the same weather forecast everyday saying temps in the low to mid 90s with high humidity, or the opposite where by for a month todays high will be -20 to -30.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:22 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,226 times
Thie depends on the season for me.
But my ideal summer day would be like this.

Cool and clear morning with a low of 13°C/ 55°F, then sunny and rapidly warming up to about 27°C/ 80°F at noon, first puffy clouds popping up by afternoon hours becoming darker and denser as the evening progresses its still about 23°C/ 73°F warm. Then just after sunset (10 PM) the show begans, thunder starts to growl and a fantastic lightshow sets in lasting 2-3 hours with little rain.

Then after midnight the sky clears quickly and the temperatures drops back in the clean fresh air to about the lower teens (°C).

Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 AM

824 posts, read 688,843 times
Good Weather = 12-17*C and sunny. Light wind and a few clouds towards the higher end, no wind or clouds towards the lower.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
For me good weather is 55-65 F during the day & freezing at night. I just can't sleep if its hot at night, like Atlanta.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Here it is only boring weather. People whine about cold all winter, then whine as soon as it's in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather