Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
This is just my opinion, of course. If I had your body instead of mine, I might be a heat lover, who knows. But my two cents:

1) I dislike intense sunlight. I find the glare blinding and obnoxious. So basically I'm a vampire.

2) I am of Anglo-Celtic extraction and thus any long term, or even relatively short-term, skin exposure in hot sunny weather causes painful sunburn that lasts days and puts me at risk for cancer.

3) I strongly dislike the difficulty in breathing that comes with hot weather. I prefer breathing cool, crisp air.

4) I hate being sweaty. It is so uncomfortable and gross.

5) I hate being dehydrated. Indoors this isn't a problem, but if you're out at say, a football game and there's no more Gatorade left, it can be.

6) Nothing to me is worse than a warm, stuffy, sleepless night. I'd much rather a cold night where I had warm blankets.

7) Hot sunny weather is boring.

These are just my opinions though, and based on how my body is. Personally, I am baffled at how the media promotes intense heat and sun glare as what 'good weather' is, but it seems like there are actually nearly as many cold weather lovers like me as there are hot weather lovers around. I think cold weather just gets less press.
I agree with most of this. I do want to add a few things here:

First of all, hot weather is appropriate for summer months(late May-August). When it goes beyond that, that is when it can really get on your nerves. You can also get headaches, feel dizzy and it is just plain dangerous. Even 95F at 10% humidity can be dangerous if yiu are not careful.

I used to be a real heat hater. That stated, I wouldn't want see warmth that starts in May and doesn't end until possibly November. Here in LA our summers can start as early as April or as late as June and last well into November depending upon where in the metro area you live. You are absolutely right. Hot weather gets so much coverage and it is thought of even by the local weather forecasters as being great. I could never understand that. Cold weather is way better than extreme heat for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
I'd like to know where does wunderground take the data from. They don't match exactly with the ones from the local weather service.
i guess wunderground is BS, cause, like i said, BA station never matchs tv temps, so i look in ezeiza, that matchs tv temp.

i wish i knew how to look at forecast or past temps in SMN, though

Anyways, those january temps you recorded are awful, nasty and way too hot anyway, specially monday the 9th and tuesday the 10th. If we continue like this, we are gonna have a hotter than average january like we had a hotter than average november. Hope not.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM

It shockes me how we all seem to be in argeement that summer sucks

I love it!! CD weather forum members agreeing for once!!!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 PM

didnt marlaver said that yucky monday night was almost a record night low with a low of 27.5, when record low was 28?
and your records said low temp of monday was 24.1?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:39 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Also:

-Walking into a store or office building after being outside for a while and feeling like you stepped into a refrigerator.

Even though I don't have A/C, on hot days, my home is usually cooler than the outdoors. The indoors tend to moderate daily temperature changes. Actually, I don't think I've ever experienced feeling like I entered an oven by entering my own home.
I actually could agree with you there. The first few minutes offer relief, but sometimes stores, restaurants, and offices overdo it with the A/C. But like I've said, it's better than the alternative. I just wear pants instead of shorts and feel fine.

My room easily gets up to 30 C, which feels like an oven! (hyperbole of course)

Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Optimal human comfort is around 75°F for sitting still. If you're moving around a lot, human comfort levels are much lower. When hiking in the mountains of Northern New England, I find I get sweaty easily at not hot temperatures (around 70°F), especially with the somewhat humid summers. The backpack made it worse because the clothes were sticking to my skin. If the activity is strenuous enough, ideal temperature is low to mid 50s (assuming it's not raining).
Exactly...which is why I prefer cooler temperatures for physical activities.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
People live in all kinds of climates but generally the most sparsely populated are the coldest. And ice sheets such as Antarctica or interior Greenland can only be rendered temporarily habitable via expensive reprovisioning from places that can naturally support plant and animal life.

Although I like your fantasy world where hardly anybody lives in hot places - more room for me and my fellow heat lovers.
I guess you didn't get my point. I wasn't pointing to a fantasy world. I was just referring to a continuous dimension that goes from extremely cold to extremely hot, and in the middle would be the average human comfortable range of temps (let's say 75 F). If you look to both sides of the spectrum, there are more inhabited places in the colder places... Sure, there are much more inhabited places around the comfortable range, but that wasn't my point.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
didnt marlaver said that yucky monday night was almost a record night low with a low of 27.5, when record low was 28?
and your records said low temp of monday was 24.1?
Well, I just took the data from the SMN, which gives data for BA Observatory and the domestic airport. Maybe marlaver takes the data from another station. There are many weather stations around BA, but as far as I know, the "official" one is Observatorio Central Buenos Aires, which is the one I posted the data from.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
Extreme heat isn't great, and we get a fair bit of it over here, that's not to say I enjoy the extreme cold, I quite like the fact I can still wear shorts in winter and feel reasonably comfortable.

My optimal temperature is probably a touch on the warm side I like nights around 10C/50F and days with a high around 27C/80F.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
This is a great thread, and the "summer-haters" raise points that I have promoted for years concerning the hot weather. I count myself among the summer-haters; I would be happy in a climate with no real summer at all (but averaging highs in the 50's or 60's F which is still warm). I will add my observations:

- It is false that the vast majority of humans enjoy temperatures in the 70's, although 70 may be the temperature that is tolerable to the greatest number (actually 65 gets higher marks culturally and in a poll on this very forum). different people have optima that vary widely between roughly -60 and +120, which in universal terms is still rather narrow. ChesterNZ's point about us being members of the same species has false implications, and variation is normal in any species - we are not all clones.

- Bias in weather coverage against cold weather lovers and against winter weather at least in North America is obvious and undeniable if you bother looking (which most heat-lovers won't do (justifiably so since it isn't their weather that gets bashed)). However it is not deliberate, much less part of some conspiracy-theory-like agenda.

- The cultural impression of the "lazy days of summer" and the summer outdoor activities originates from New England, and outside of the Upper Midwest, Rockies, Alaska, and New England, is entirely mythical, as the weather across most of the U.S. is too hot than what seems like most people's optimum for these sort of activities (75/55 F or thereabouts). I am stumped, however, as to why these conceptions didn't transfer over to other seasons where this sort of weather takes place.

- It is true that, even if you accept the premise that 70's is optimum, people prefer cooler conditions than their resting optimum for physical exertion, which applies to every mammal to some degree. For the simple reason that working generates more heat, which of course needs to be expended, which of course requires cooler outside conditions to expend it (i.e. maintaining the same body temperature as before).

- It is also true that colder than desirable places are easier to settle than hotter than desirable places. Aside from economic reasons, which is by far the primary motivator for settlement patterns (Siberia has more wealth than Saudi Arabia's Empty Quarter), it seems to be far easier to warm up to your optimum than to cool down to your optimum, and it seems that physically, it is easier to heat something up than to remove heat from it. Fireplaces were invented long before ice machines, and coal furnaces long predate air conditioning, which would have the implication of colder places being easier to settle in, which would mean they would be better established, which naturally leads to a higher population. I would also like to point out that with rather simple technology, a human can keep warm down to 20 or 40 below zero Fahrenheit. That is 80 to 100 degrees below even a 60 degree optimum (I'm being generous here). The equivalent on the other end of the scale is 140 to 160, which of course with that same technology level would be deadly, and quite uncomfortable even to the most hardcore heat lovers.

- I fully agree with and reemphasize the negatives stated (and adding a few of my own) of going into hot cars, not being able to sleep (or sleep poorly), mosquitos, sweat, closing up the house (I like to have windows open especially in winter), the danger of burning hands on hot objects (not like oven heating elements, but car doors), the lack of health-enhancing and refreshing cool air, difficulty breathing, the attention to hydration, bright sunshine frying my eyeballs, the stuffy atmosphere, not being able to snug in with stuffed animals, loved ones, or blankets, and the sheer monotony and boring routine of hot, sunny weather (indistinct weather drives me crazy), all the lovely symptoms of heat exhaustion (have had it a lot) and heat stroke (which I've come close to), headaches, the high tempers, anger, irritability, and lack of patience (which of course the lack of sleep intensifies), being prevented from doing any physical exercise or useful work, the dullness and fluff and lack of substance in the cultural activities the season brings, the fake generic beauties with dyed hair, and having to look at everybody's exposed, ugly skin.

- That said, those are the aspects of summer (or hot) weather that I can't stand. I have read enough winter-hater's rationale's to realize that these negatives do not apply to a lot of people, which naturally is great for them. I merely wish for others who do not understand our preferences to have a clearer idea of what I (and many others I'm sure) dislike. And I may add that the cultural aspects are a matter of taste, much like climate.

- And lastly, I would like to point out that the jokes made about cold-lovers being polar bears are insulting and are denigrating to the humanity of these people, regardless of intent, and are as absurd as me asking whether ChesterNZ is a baboon or ColdCanadian is an iguana. The human identity of all members, heat lovers included, should be respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather