Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,985,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The evidence shows a notable increase in warm weather, freak storms, fires, drought, etc. It goes well beyond "seems." People need to pay attention to what scientists have been repeatedly saying about AGW. This is not a rehearsal and we don't have the luxury of waiting until TSHTF before practicing CO2-restraint.

warmest spring on record - Google Search
Can you please leave religion out of the Weather forum? MMGW is not 100% conclusive, and there are a lot of holes in the theory. Hence why almost all publications on MMGW use the qualifiers "could and may". Last I checked, could and may did not convey 100% certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,014,967 times
The weather in the United States being the hottest on record for one Spring proves absolutely nothing about global climate. The principle of "it's weather, not climate" works both ways.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,444,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Not really, here in BA we been MUCH ABOVE AVERAGE every freaking month of the year. Average lows have been warm too. This year has been insanely warm every freaking month. It was also super sunny. Except for May (wich was cloudy/warm/sticky/humid, meaning: awful), all the other months we were like Yuma.

This is the data that malraver provided of this year so far:

so freaking HOT.

Wish we had the sunshine data, cause it was also super sunny, except for May and february (that was humid as hell -notice the rain- and with those temps: we were singapore)

Also, im shocked by february average high (30c) cause for the last 10 DAYS of february we had a cold spell in the middle of the summer, wich means temp went from 14 to 25 (here this is a cold spell in the summer) and were super comfortable and "cool". The last 10 DAYS!!! And still temp was like 2 celsius above average. Imagine if we would have normal temps, how would the avg highs and lows of february ended up being?? Probably the hottest februay on record. The first 20 days of february were all 34 celsius days with 100% humidity and 30 celsius nights. OMG: WORST MONTH EVER (except for those last 10 days).

Look at the record highs including June: UGH. vomit icon. Its freaking winter!
Looks perfect! I would gladly swap the drivel I've had for that six months! Yummmm.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,169,089 times
My friends in the PNW and Western Canada reported having little no summer last year. This year started out just the same for them. It just heated up in the last week. In the South where I live, we were actually having a rather pleasant summer until the last couple weeks when we set record temps. Rain over the last three days has been fantastic.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,417,008 times
North east certainly did have a mild winter, warmest spring on record and so far its been a damned hot summer,record breaker maybe?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,520,270 times
This is how it was March-May and June was just a continuation of the stifling heat.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,014,967 times
It was definitely a continuation for Colorado, but not the rest of the country. The South Atlantic actually averaged cooler than normal despite setting all-time record highs. I wonder how often all-time record highs are set in cooler than normal months, and vice versa .

Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,417,008 times
Patricius Maximus There seems to be a discrepancy between your chart that says everything is kinda normal across the US and many news stories claiming its been the exact opposite Am i not reading that chart correctly?

Continental U.S. breaks heat record in first half of 2012 | Reuters

Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,520,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It was definitely a continuation for Colorado, but not the rest of the country. The South Atlantic actually averaged cooler than normal despite setting all-time record highs. I wonder how often all-time record highs are set in cooler than normal months, and vice versa .
I'm looking at a huge area of the country that had above normal and much above normal temperatures, especially at the end of June and into July. There are a few exceptions, but it's been abnormally hot almost everywhere all year.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 PM

160 posts, read 398,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Patricius Maximus There seems to be a discrepancy between your chart that says everything is kinda normal across the US and many news stories claiming its been the exact opposite Am i not reading that chart correctly?

Continental U.S. breaks heat record in first half of 2012 | Reuters
The graphic was only for June; your link talks about the period from January to June. The last week of June was sweltering for the eastern 2/3 of the country, but the East was actually a little bit below average for most of the month.

So basically June was still pretty warm for the lower 48, but not quite as warm as March, April, and May were (when compared to average temperatures, that is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather