Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Portland, Oregon for me, though if I did some research I'd probably find some coastal parts of New England that would be A-worthy. The only drawback for Portland would be the potential for snowless winters, but I'd suppose there are at least some higher suburbs which always get at least some snow? Either way, you Americans really are privileged to have such a range of climates to choose from within the same country.
Portland doesn't have any suburbs in the hills; the developments sticks to low elevation. Won't need to go far to find snow in the winter, of course!

Are these coastal New England climates what you had in mind?

New Bedford on the south coast of Massachusetts. Or Block Island a bit out to sea. There are other similar ones near the coast, with slight seasonal or day/night differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 03:20 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,660,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Portland doesn't have any suburbs in the hills; the developments sticks to low elevation. Won't need to go far to find snow in the winter, of course!

New Bedford on the south coast of Massachusetts. Or Block Island a bit out to sea. There are other similar ones near the coast, with slight seasonal or day/night differences.
Both those will do for me (with New Bedford being my first choice). March a little too much like winter rather than spring, but otherwise not bad at all, maybe even preferable to Portland because of summer rainfall/guaranteed proper snow (and presumed higher thunderstorm count).

Old 05-12-2012, 03:36 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I see that I was beaten to Asheville N.C. It looks like a great climate. The winters are a bit colder than here, so I would be more limited in what I could grow. It's a good trade off though.
Asheville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California has lots of ideal climates from a temperature perspective, but the dry summers aren't for me.
If I had to remain in the South, I'd set my sights on Highlands, North Carolina, which is located at a lofty 4100 feet above sea level.

I've gone up there a few times in summer to escape the atrocious heat here in Atlanta - too bad it's a rich person's resort town - it's expensive...lol. Fortunately, it's close enough to here as to make it a day trip destination. According to the Wiki climate write-up, Highlands features a July high of 78 degrees, which is just 2 degrees warmer than the average July high of Houghton, Michigan, if you can believe it. Altitude really does wonders...lol. Too bad it gets so little snow in winter, which is why I don't bother driving up there in the cooler months - I wanna see real snow, not dirty clumps of half-frozen slush, if you're lucky....lol.

Since the link won't work on here for some reason, I'm pasting the climate write-up on here:

Quote:
Highlands has a subtropical highland climate (Köppen Cfb), with much cooler weather than the rest of the American South. This cooling is caused by its altitude. Astride the Eastern Continental Divide, at just over 4,100 ft (1,200 m), the town's elevation contributes to its relatively cool summers and abundant rainfall, averaging 87.57 inches (2,224 mm) per year. Average snowfall is only 6 inches (15 cm), largely due to the fact that Highlands is further south and east in the Appalachian Mountains. Areas of similar elevation on the northwest side of Appalachian region, such as Banner Elk, are not as protected from periodic blasts of Arctic air and receive more substantial snowfall. Regardless, Highlands is one of the very rare locations at this latitude that has an average high of 78°F or 26°C in July, far lower than the rest of the American South.

Last edited by NorthStarDelight; 05-12-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,424,293 times
Florida.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Florida.
Of course, knowing you.

But, seriously, considering how much you love heat and thunderstorms, plus heavy, tropical warm rains - you'd LOVE Florida with a passion.

I really hope you're able to achieve your dream of moving there someday.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
I love the climate of Michigan but as a place to live I'm not so sure.. there aren't many cold winter climate places that I would really like to live in.. sure, there are states like Connecticut and Minnesota that are affluent but.. eh.. not for me. It's a shame Boston is not located 100 miles north - it's a great city by the looks of things

Old 05-12-2012, 05:46 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
In Alaska, I'd probably go with Valdez, especially if I could have a house at the 2000-foot level or so - sea level there is just a tad too mild for me....lol. (I prefer dry, powdery snow over wet, slushy snow.)
You want to live at Heidenview, otherwise known as Nineteen Mile. It's a small neighborhood of hippie-types and ski bums about a thousand feet up the Pass. It's the closest you can live to the Pass on the snowy side. Much higher than that and you're above treeline, which would be inhospitable to say the least.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:01 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,591,899 times
I'd choose Leadville, CO Leadville, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
record high not above 85, not much rain in summer, good snowfall, in the lower 48 so close to many states and cities, somewhat normal sunsets and sunrises throughout the year. I did see pictures of Valdez,Alaska and do think it's more scenic, but I'd still choose Leadville, CO for all three answers.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Leadville looks amazing! Great find

Old 05-12-2012, 06:06 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,561,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Tualatin Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mount Sylvania also gets much more snow than the lowands and it's only at 964'/298 m asl.

Small changes in elevation make a huge difference in snowfall here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather