Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
There has been a price to pay for that there, in Wellington and other places - e.g. Christchurch - an abysmal lack of sunshine. Last August was vastly preferable to the dreck served up in this one to date in many parts.
I can vouch for that. Looking at last year's stats:

Mean max: 12.5 C
Mean min: 0.3 C
Rain: 63 mm
Mean sunshine hours per day: 5.6

Whereas this August MTD:

Mean max: ~11 C
Mean min: ~7 C
Rain: 83 mm
Mean sunshine hours per day: 1.9

I'd take the former in a heartbeat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I can vouch for that. Looking at last year's stats:

Mean max: 12.5 C
Mean min: 0.3 C
Rain: 63 mm
Mean sunshine hours per day: 5.6

Whereas this August MTD:

Mean max: ~11 C
Mean min: ~7 C
Rain: 83 mm
Mean sunshine hours per day: 1.9

I'd take the former in a heartbeat!
I'd agree. People here in SE Queensland have been commenting on the cold mornings. This is probably due to the extensive sunniness we've had here however I'd take the cold mornings and sunny days over overcast and dull days combined with milder minimums any day .

Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Absolutely horrible this afternoon with icy cold SW winds screaming in at 78km/hr at the airport this afternoon (Thousands of Sydney homes without power as winds hit ... again | thetelegraph.com.au). Much damage done with falling trees, power blackouts and people seriously hurt . If the change had blown in from the south, it would not have been too bad! Temperatures dropped from 21C at 1330 to 14C at 1430 with some quick moving showers. Naturally skies have cleared thus ensuring minimums will drop to 7C in the city tonight. Thank god I don't have to get up and leave so early tomorrow . Not going to be a nice day tomorrow with windy and cold westerlies prevailing
I'm so jealous of Melbourne right now - they're getting all the rain and cloud whilst we get battered by bad sunny and dry weather

August is looking to be a awful dry month here . Even though it's very lush and green on the coast due to the wet event last weekend, it's the total opposite in western suburbs with some sites recording no rain at all so far this month and lawns/gardens looking very brown and dead, some sites are looking at the driest August in more than 30 years. Bushfires this early is a real worry with two major ones breaking out already which has thankfully been brought under control. I certainly hope we don't get a repeat of those murderous Jan. 1994 fires which destroyed hundreds of homes - over 220 - and killed 4 people. Hopefully the spring season will see some decent storms dumping good rainfalls. Many people have remarked to me that they will never take rain for granted ever again.

In other news Brisbane has now recorded it's 28th day without rain and the bushfire danger is very high. Saw some pictures of farms in rural QLD areas showing very brown and dead grass - awful
Minimums are, however, running well below average with negative anomalies running at 3 to 5C.

In NZ some places have indeed recorded very low MTD sun totals with Dunedin on 25, Christchurch 29 and Wellington 37. On the other scale Invercargill is doing well with 75 hrs - no wonder my brother was complaining! - and south Auckland on 83. Worth noting that Invercargill has recorded just 5mm of rain to date this month which comes on top of the driest July (30mm) since 1977 (29mm).

Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
You have no idea how AWFUL August has been so far in Buenos Aires. Only 2 DAYS OF SUN , and, not only that, but almost all days that has not been sunny its been RAINING. But not little raining or casual showers: STORMS! Its basically been a month full of storms. They say this month is gonna break all records on rain!
The average sunshine hours for August here is 174, and now, being 17th, is far far far away from it. Its impossible to get to those numbers, even if its sunny all days until august ends. But not only that, according to forecast, its gonna be raining all next week!!!

I ve never seen a month like that! at least 15 days of the month have been gloomy and raining and it seems its gonna continue that way? WOW! I have a glimpse of what a very rainy climate of england could be in the summer and its not pretty! Hate it.

I thank god for our 2500 sunshine hours and for the fact this is an anomaly, cause a month entirely with showers.....IT SUCKS

On top of that, it is warm (from 15c to 20c) and UBER HUMID, so everyones hairs are a mess and all is sticky. UGH

is this how an amsterdam summer is like? i hope not

Old 08-17-2012, 01:53 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
7c really isn't that cold. You are going on like you'd die if you went out in it and Sophie Amsterdam summers are warmer than that. I think its around 30c there today.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
7c really isn't that cold. You are going on like you'd die if you went out in it and Sophie Amsterdam summers are warmer than that. I think its around 30c there today.
what did i say about 7c??

And im just asking the amsterdam part cause my sister is living there since april and told me its COLD and it rains ALL DAY. I think 30c is clearly an anomaly. Probably their average does not go from 15 to 20c, but surely the temps there in summer are close to that than to 30c!!! And its supposed to rain more than 200 days a year in amsterdam?

Just serached in wikipedia: 12.8/22c is not that different at the temps we are having here, honestly. But the sunshine doesnt seem as bad in this particular month (though us didnt seem either, and its raining all day) but susnhine in cold/cool month is AWFUL there!!! its probably like this august but colder and darker?? wow

Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Sorry, I was referring to the Australian who was going on like the world was ending because it was 7c.

It depends what your sister is used to, but I think the average high there is like 22c in the summer so good for me. I doubt that they would get 15-20c there in the summer. I live alot further north than them and my average high is around 18-19c. Infact it was 24c today. But there today it was 30c.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:02 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
I think Owen exaggerated Sophie's comments. It should be noted that it seems that the rain and cloud is the main complaint - 7C evenings got rave reviews from Sophie just last month.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I think Owen exaggerated Sophie's comments. It should be noted that it seems that the rain and cloud is the main complaint - 7C evenings got rave reviews from Sophie just last month.
I really like 7c evenings!! And if its sunny i LOVE them!

My problems are clouds and rain.

I actually rather it was 7c this month instead of 20c. But the rain, cloud, humidity and warm temps make it all worst! If its gonna be rainy at least be cold!!

Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
People talking about cold wet weather in the southern hemisphere need to realise how lucky they are that they don't get that weather in the summer. It's worse here, only 60 hours of sun in 16 days, and rain nearly every day with muggy 16-20 degree highs so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather