Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate this climate
A 2 14.29%
B 3 21.43%
C 4 28.57%
D 4 28.57%
F 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times

Advertisements

Four distinct seasons, not too cold in the winter but still cold enough and snowy enough for winter lovers. Not too hot in the summer and wet enough to keep the landscape green through the dog days, but still hot enough that any summer lover should be happy. Records can be extreme but are rare. There is usually little variation in climate year to year. This is my ideal climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
D- Waaaay too hot in the summer for me. It's basically like my hometown, but with a lot more snow and colder winter lows. May through September is too warm for my liking, but the other months look fine. The average maximums for April, October, and November are higher than I prefer, but the average highs for those months look nice.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
F too cold in winter... yuck!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
A C-/D+, winters too warm and summers a bit too hot. But snowfall and precip are good.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
C. Colder and hotter than I like. The hot summer does balance the winters a bit though. It would be easy to forget about winter for 7 months.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
This is too warm, all-around. The summers are awful, and the seasonal lag makes it have the "frog in a pot" feel. This would drag down the rating a lot even if had my ideal winters, but it doesn't. The winters are subpar, with record highs in the 60's and 70's (I don't want to get anywhere near 60F in winter, let alone regular 40's and 50's), and December averaging well up into the 40's. 44/23F? Forget it. The chances for a White Christmas will be low, and even in the uncommon year when it does fall it will probably melt the next day. This same thing continues through the winter, really, only less intense (February wouldn't be as prone to this, but still, a high of 36F...). Record lows are pretty pathetic compared to the potential for extreme warmth, only being in the -10s to -20's. The precipitation is too high for my taste, at 50+ inches per year, but I wouldn't mind it if it produced a lot of snow with no rain during the winter. Of course it doesn't do that, with snowfall averaging at 48 inches, which would be a good amount if there wasn't so much rain and thawing in winter. I've noticed that you've made December the snowiest month, which is nice, but that's due to the increased precipitation and thus doesn't increase my rating.

All things considered, subpar winters, awful summers, and a vile seasonal lag. I give this one an E, which in the grading scale you've provided converts to a D-. I respect that this is your dream weather, but I really don't like it.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
I gave this one a "C" only because it's a notch better than my own "D" climate...lol. Do like the 40+ inches of snowfall, as well as the high annual precip - but the hot Julys and Augusts sure would be a drag.

Still wouldn't mind if Atlanta's climate could match this one - the 81-degree June average doesn't sound too bad...lol.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,208,386 times
C for the same reason as NorthStarDelight.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
D

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
This is too warm, all-around. The summers are awful, and the seasonal lag makes it have the "frog in a pot" feel. This would drag down the rating a lot even if had my ideal winters, but it doesn't. The winters are subpar, with record highs in the 60's and 70's (I don't want to get anywhere near 60F in winter, let alone regular 40's and 50's), and December averaging well up into the 40's. 44/23F? Forget it. The chances for a White Christmas will be low, and even in the uncommon year when it does fall it will probably melt the next day. This same thing continues through the winter, really, only less intense (February wouldn't be as prone to this, but still, a high of 36F...). Record lows are pretty pathetic compared to the potential for extreme warmth, only being in the -10s to -20's. The precipitation is too high for my taste, at 50+ inches per year, but I wouldn't mind it if it produced a lot of snow with no rain during the winter. Of course it doesn't do that, with snowfall averaging at 48 inches, which would be a good amount if there wasn't so much rain and thawing in winter. I've noticed that you've made December the snowiest month, which is nice, but that's due to the increased precipitation and thus doesn't increase my rating.

All things considered, subpar winters, awful summers, and a vile seasonal lag. I give this one an E, which in the grading scale you've provided converts to a D-. I respect that this is your dream weather, but I really don't like it.
The increased precipitation is because in the first half of December it mostly falls as rain while in the second half it falls as snow. White Christmas chances are actually pretty high as the second half of December is the snowiest part of the year. The average daily maximum is 48 on Dec 1 but that falls to 39 by Christmas day. December is the cloudiest month and it starts off very rainy which changes to ice and snow as the temperature drops. As for the thawing, I see that as a plus, because I like cold spurts but its nice to have breaks during the winter rather than a never-ending bitter cold.

I don't see what is so wrong with the summers. 90 is a very comfortable temperature for me. The records are a bit extreme and brutal, but as I said, they don't happen very often. Plus, there is enough rain during the summer to cool things down from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather