Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Wasnt sure where to put this. Maybe Moderator can move it to correct thread.

June 3, 2012

Winter Hits during Swedens Summer

Winter Hits Europe – Stockholm Has Coldest Day in 84 Years! Sweden Coldest Temperature In 20 Years!

Winter pounds Sweden – and it’s summer!

Parts of Europe are being gripped by unusual cold, even though the calendar says it’s meteorological summer. Now children in Sweden are finding out what snow is like – in June! Strangest warming I’ve ever seen.
The English language The Local here writes that “Stockholm broke an 84-year-old cold record on Saturday, as the capital’s temperature only reached 6 degrees Celsius, the lowest June maximum daily temperature the city has seen since 1928.”
Indeed, you could be excused for thinking that the current chill is more like winter than summer. It was actually colder in the capital yesterday than on Christmas Eve. ‘The temperature was a degree lower than it was at Christmas in Stockholm, so it is colder. And it’s windier, too,’ said SMHI’s meteorologist Lisa Frost to newspaper Dagens Nyheter.”
Just two days ago The Local here reported that snow blanketed northern parts.
Residents in northern Sweden were forced to grab shovels rather than sun lotion on what was supposed to be the first day of summer, as much of the region was left covered in a thick blanket of snow on Friday. As much as 20 centimetres of thick, wet snow fell in parts of Västerbotten County, giving residents quite a shock when they woke up Friday morning.”
The mercury also dropped to minus 6 degrees Celsius in one town, making it the coldest June Sweden recording in 20 years. The Local adds:
The weather agency forecasts that the first weekend in June will feel more like the start of winter than the start of summer.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Anyone can cherry-pick either cold or warm events somewhere on the globe - they're happening all the time. You seem to have a distinct predilection for the former.

Are you aware that the Corbyn idiot in the UK was predicting the "coldest May for 100 years" - or something akin to that - after a very cold start, the month's CET ended up slightly above average!

Those headlines are also deliberately misleading (or composed by the scientifically illiterate) - it was the lowest June daily max. temperature for 84 years, not the lowest max. of any day in 84 years.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Anyone can cherry-pick either cold or warm events somewhere on the globe - they're happening all the time.
Are you saying it always snows in Summer there? I hope I'm "picking" the "rare" events. I feel its my job to stop the spin of the global warming garbage out there since nobody posts cold related events. Plus I enjoy it.

Quote:
Are you aware that the Corbyn idiot in the UK was predicting the "coldest May for 100 years" - or something akin to that - after a very cold start, the month's CET ended up slightly above average!
Yes, I was aware. He's not credit worthy to me...only entertainment.

Quote:
Those headlines are also deliberately misleading (or composed by the scientifically illiterate) - it was the lowest June daily max. temperature for 84 years, not the lowest max. of any day in 84 years.
Ahhh, very interesting if true, thanks! Any source for that to back up your claim??

Old 06-03-2012, 06:56 PM

FYI for those following. There's only two huge "hot" spots on the globe right now. Its in Russia & Greenland. If those disappear, the 2M global temps will dropto 30year lows IMO.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
I don't care if it is representative of global climate or not: it's an amazing event regardless, and the current chill is very unusual. Sheer awesomeness is at work here .

Thanks, Cambium .

Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
I would love to experience a day like that in June.

The record low max for June here is 10 C on June 4, 1945. Interestingly that was the year with a record warm March.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
6°C in June is sheer horror. I could never live anywhere further north than Paris.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
An inconvenient truth.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Are you saying it always snows in Summer there? I hope I'm "picking" the "rare" events. I feel its my job to stop the spin of the global warming garbage out there since nobody posts cold related events. Plus I enjoy it.
Above average warmth has been more common than below average temperatures. I can cherrypick for just the US:

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : U.S. experiences warmest 12-month period on record | Weather Underground

Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Why does everything have to be cherrypicked? As PM says it's an interesting and rare event, not everything is about global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather