Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats worse?
120F heat 48 51.61%
-50F cold 45 48.39%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Strange. I have the same reaction but at opposite ends. Cold weather doesn't bother me but I feel like passing out in high heat .
Strange. Just shows the diversity of people's bodies I guess. Having hypothermia certainly sucked though, my pulse rate went crazily slow and I was like in a dream, everything seemed slow motion and I was barely concious. My talking went all slurred and I started dribbling everywhere. How embarrassing. 122 degrees wasn't pleasant but at least I could tolerate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
For me it would be extreme cold that is worse. I have in fact experienced 50 celsius / 122+ F heat, though not for a long time. I sweated like hell but I was wearing a fleece so I guess I would do. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Certainly not unbearable, but you wouldn't want to do any/much physical activity, however, as long as I kept hydrated I don't believe I was in any danger. -50 F I've never experienced but I once had hypothermia at temperatures in the teens and find my circulation gets very poor in such temperatures. I never felt myself feel so close to passing out and take so long to recover from an extreme temperature than that time, and yet I never even felt any problems at 120F+. Obviously the answer to this poll is that it depends on the person. However I know full well from experiences of far lesser cold than the ridiculous -50 degrees example that my body would pack in well before that, I can tell you my legs and arms would have dropped off and my blood turned to ice. No way. I'll take 120 degrees any day thank you.
I agree with you. In -50 weather I feel like passing out and just dying from how cold it is but in extreme hot weather a little water does the trick for me but that's mainly because I don't get hot too easily and the cold effects me far worse.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Strange. Just shows the diversity of people's bodies I guess. Having hypothermia certainly sucked though, my pulse rate went crazily slow and I was like in a dream, everything seemed slow motion and I was barely concious. My talking went all slurred and I started dribbling everywhere. How embarrassing. 122 degrees wasn't pleasant but at least I could tolerate it.
Just as I can attest having heat illness sucks, big-time. I've never experienced severe hypothermia, but I've had improper clothing on sitting in cold melt-puddles in the past, and I got some (localized) hypothermia symptoms, and it's pretty awful. Although I'd say heat illness is a more unpleasant fate, both ends of the scale are horrible experiences. Luckily for me I practically never get too cold, in contrast with the heat, so you can see my preference coming through right there.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:21 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,756 times
Quote:
Just as I can attest having heat illness sucks, big-time. I've never experienced severe hypothermia, but I've had improper clothing on sitting in cold melt-puddles in the past, and I got some (localized) hypothermia symptoms, and it's pretty awful. Although I'd say heat illness is a more unpleasant fate, both ends of the scale are horrible experiences. Luckily for me I practically never get too cold, in contrast with the heat, so you can see my preference coming through right there.
They are both equally unpleasant and for some heat illness is more and for others, hypothermia is more unpleasant so it depends on the person.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Lucky for me, i never suffered hypotermia or anything of the sort. I can also say i never feel extreme discomfort in cold weather, including Minneapolis in winter.
However, every freacking summer, i suffer some type of heat stroke. I faint every summer, i vomit every summer, i have headaches every summer, i wanna die every summer.

is true that i live in a very warm subtropical city so im never exposed to cold and im exposed to heat every year, so that haves to do with my experience and with the fact that i think cold weather is better than hot weather. I just never experienced real cold weather (except when i went to Minneapolis, and maybe some times in Patagonia, but they were excepcions and i never felt a huge discomfort anyway) and hot weather makes my life miserable 4 months of the year.

Maybe if weatherfan lived where i live he wouldnt be longing hot weather all the time and would expereinced the discomfort of heat more often. And maybe if i lived in Buxton i would hate winter and probably long some type of warm weather.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
is true that i live in a very warm subtropical city so im never exposed to cold and im exposed to heat every year, so that haves to do with my experience and with the fact that i think cold weather is better than hot weather. I just never experienced real cold weather (except when i went to Minneapolis, and maybe some times in Patagonia, but they were excepcions and i never felt a huge discomfort anyway) and hot weather makes my life miserable 4 months of the year.
If you were particularly sensitive to cold weather, you would have had some symptoms on those trips you went on.

Quote:
Maybe if weatherfan lived where i live he wouldnt be longing hot weather all the time and would expereinced the discomfort of heat more often. And maybe if i lived in Buxton i would hate winter and probably long some type of warm weather.
I doubt it. Both of you would probably be rather satisfied with your climates, temperature-wise anyway. I know you would crave more sunshine than Buxton gets.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,145 times
The heat is far worse for me. I've only experienced -35° C and I liked it a lot, whereas a humid 33° C is a horrible experience. There's just no getting away from it. I can't even imagine 49° C but -46° C is probably very nice with proper clothing.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
Cold. Especially the damp, wet variety found here. I will get the flu without fail, I will need multiple boxes of tissues, I will need my asthma puff. I am also depressed because of the constant wet grey misery, lose motivation to do pretty much anything except go to work and I will wake up at 10 or 11am.

In summer, funnily enough I never get sick. On warm mornings I wake at 5-6am, go outside for a walk, enjoy the warmth, the sun as it comes up and feel energetic and happy.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:

I doubt it. Both of you would probably be rather satisfied with your climates, temperature-wise anyway. I know you would crave more sunshine than Buxton gets.
Quite right, BA's summers are far from my max threshold for heat tolerance. I would extend to temperature averages as high as 25/36-38°C in summer. Actually BA's climate looks very comfortable to me.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
The cold is terrible!!!!!!!

Waking up in a cold morning BRRRRR!! It's only about 5C in Sydney and it is so psinful waking up in the morning!!

Heat is awesome, it's full of life!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather