Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times

Advertisements

No, though the seemingly endless dry, sunny weather during the summer here gets boring pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 05:05 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
How about your alias after your bowel came out of your ears?
To my knowledge Kaul does not use any other aliases. I'm pretty sure since it would be rather obvious with his preferences and style if it was him/her or not.

Quote:
Perhaps you would also lose any credibility concerning your Vostokish climatic preferences if everyone discovered you lived in Texas or Florida or whichever warm state with winters completely unlike what you pretend to like
Just because he lives in a place with warm winters doesn't mean he's secretly in the same league with you. As for credibility, I don't know what compels people that like heat to question the "credibility" of anyone different from them but I operate under the presumption that people usually know what they're doing when it comes to weather preference, at least when it comes to being interested enough to come to this forum.

That said, Kaul has indicated he loves the Aleutians and other subarctic climates, so my guess is that he is just pumping for cold weather, and that he does have a fondness for Vostok, the same way I might have a fondness for Yakutsk or Bergen despite the incongruent preferences. He may be a troll for the coldies but he is a genuine coldie.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Cold weather vs warm weather……………………………………………….the beat goes on

SONNY & CHER "THE BEAT GOES ON" (1967) ORIGINAL RECORDING - YouTube

Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 PM

356 posts, read 677,495 times
you know what makes me cranky... when people talk about how hot it is all day. I was at a birthday party today and it was 90-92 degrees... which is hot, but everyone just kept talking about how hot it was, we were outside and geez it had been much hotter earlier in the month I felt fine.. By the end of the day I was so freaking hot because it had been rammed in my ear all day how hot it was. I've been the complainer before and I never realized how terrible that can be for others. So for now in, if I'm hot I'm keeping it to myself, or I'll wait till the heat is over, or something....

Yeah I guess hot weather makes me cranky

Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
YES!!! I HATE HATE HATE summer!!!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
It seldom gets hot enough here to complain about the heat. Sometimes, I find the glare too much, or the sun too unpleasant. I don't get cranky though.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Not at all.

I'll take it over cold weather.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:05 AM

473 posts, read 667,146 times
Hot weather does not normally make me cranky. However many hot days (>35C) on end can get tiring after a while, especially if there are no afternoon thunderstorms.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
you know what makes me cranky... when people talk about how hot it is all day. I was at a birthday party today and it was 90-92 degrees... which is hot, but everyone just kept talking about how hot it was, we were outside and geez it had been much hotter earlier in the month I felt fine.. By the end of the day I was so freaking hot because it had been rammed in my ear all day how hot it was. I've been the complainer before and I never realized how terrible that can be for others. So for now in, if I'm hot I'm keeping it to myself, or I'll wait till the heat is over, or something....
That's the difference between complaining and whining. Complaining is when you acknowledge that your circumstances are awful, but then you get on with your business. Whining is boring and harassing others unnecessarily when you've already made your point clear, finding excuses to not go about your business because of the complaints, and finding fault with nature for acting contrary to human convenience.

Thus, complaining if anything is a good thing, since it relates what you think about your circumstances to other people. Whining is something to be eliminated.

Whining forms the basis of what I classify as the wimp type. The "wimp mentality" is when a person whines about a certain condition and is unsuited for that environment, i.e. a heat hater whining when it's hot is a wimp. A classic part of the wimp factor is whining about not being able to do anything or go outside when the very cause of that is the wimps themselves who have created excuses, but are actually able to go outside if they wanted to. This is commonly encountered among winter wimps in places like Chicago.

There are circumstances when it is impossible or inadvisable for a certain person to go outside. If that is the case, and if the person in question stops the whining, then he/she is not a wimp anymore. It's all in your attitude. Even someone like ColdCanadian (in a Canadian winter) or myself (in an American summer) can avoid being wimps when we conduct ourselves with dignity and refrain from whining.

What you saw that day was whining, which is distinct from making an off comment about the heat/cold.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Damn this thread was such good entertainment until the mod deleted half the posts. LOL.

In addition to the post above. I don't whine or complain about the weather offline but I do sometimes use the weather forum as an outlet for my frustration about it. Actually my online persona isn't a good impression of what I'm like in the person. However I always get on with what I have to do whatever the weather. This includes having to drive on my job in several inches of snow etc... with summer tires or do whatever I have to do. I can't stand people who make excuses not to get on with it cos of the weather etc... In fact, the weather I complain about the most isn't weather that feels uncomfortable (like hot vs cold) at all, but boring stupid drizzly crap, because as a weather fan it's the most pointless and irritating weather imaginable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather