Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,415,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That makes no sense. Cfb and Csa are defined by the Koppen system.
I typed that quickly as I was in a rush, my bad. What I meant to say is that none of these climates are subtropical or Mediterranean. Koppen's system obviously has flaws and this is a good example when places in Canada with freezing winters at 52N are defined as such subtropical..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I typed that quickly as I was in a rush, my bad. What I meant to say is that none of these climates are subtropical or Mediterranean. Koppen's system obviously has flaws and this is a good example when places in Canada with freezing winters at 52N are defined as such subtropical..
They're really just defined as Csb, subtropical is just what people chose to call it. It may not be what most call a "Mediterranean" climate, but it is a "dry summer temperate" climate. Don't focus on the name so much, just at the grouping designation.

I don't think Koppen used the word "subtropical", that was what the English translator chose.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:12 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,415,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They're really just defined as Csb, subtropical is just what people chose to call it. It may not be what most call a "Mediterranean" climate, but it is a "dry summer temperate" climate. Don't focus on the name so much, just at the grouping designation.

I don't think Koppen used the word "subtropical", that was what the English translator chose.
Hmm that may be true, but still there is a massive issue when climates such as Brisbane and similar ones on this thread are put into the same bracket when they are very different.

The Csb climates generally are all pretty similar, I would just add a few tweaks though, as I don't think any cs climate should have months averaging below 0C

Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,650,454 times
Barring a major change in the weather over the next 6 years, Lytton will definitely move into the Csa category for the 1991-2020 climate period because summers are much hotter today than they were 20 and 30 years ago. More than a degree hotter.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 PM

719 posts, read 615,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Barring a major change in the weather over the next 6 years, Lytton will definitely move into the Csa category for the 1991-2020 climate period because summers are much hotter today than they were 20 and 30 years ago. More than a degree hotter.
This. The Lytton/Lillooet area has gotten crazy hot over the past few years.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMoneyhands View Post
This. The Lytton/Lillooet area has gotten crazy hot over the past few years.
The thing about the Lytton area (moreso than Lillooet) is that when it is hot, it is hotter than anyone, but when we get cool summer weather, it is generally cooler than the other hot spots including Osoyoos, Kelowna, and Kamloops. This means that when we get super hot summers like we've had for the past 17 years 10 months, Lytton tends to be more above average than everyone else. When the reverse occurs (1980s and 1990s, for example), Lytton tends to further below average relative to everyone else.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 PM

719 posts, read 615,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
The thing about the Lytton area (moreso than Lillooet) is that when it is hot, it is hotter than anyone, but when we get cool summer weather, it is generally cooler than the other hot spots including Osoyoos, Kelowna, and Kamloops. This means that when we get super hot summers like we've had for the past 17 years 10 months, Lytton tends to be more above average than everyone else. When the reverse occurs (1980s and 1990s, for example), Lytton tends to further below average relative to everyone else.
Fair enough. I wouldn't really call Kelowna a real hot spot compared to Osoyoos and Kamloops, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather