Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,657 times

Advertisements

A local curiosity weather fans might enjoy:

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

Fifty degrees north, and meets all of Koppen's criteria for a Csb climate:

Coldest month averaging warmer than -3C.
Driest month less than 30mm of precipitation.
Driest month less than less than one-third wettest winter months precipitation.

It's just shy of Dsb by about 0.6C in the coldest month, and just shy of Csa in the hottest two months, again by 0.6C. Though little rain falls, it's too cool and wet to qualify as semi-arid given the winter max.

Unlike many stations elsewhere in the interior, it shows a strong winter max stations even as nearby as Spences Bridge and Lytton don't recieve. My best guess is that come coastal weather is funneled up the Fraser canyon. ( I'd love reliable climate data for Boston Bar or any one of the little towns north of Hope, south of Lytton, as it seems like it would have a very intriguing transitional climate. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,657 times
Oh, wow. I answered my own question before the first post with an even-less Mediterranean locale: Stuie, British Columbia, at Fifty-Two degrees north.

( Available here, or nicely Wikified by yours truly thus: )
Attached Thumbnails
Lytton, BC: Northernmost Csb? ( I'll not start flame-war with "Mediterranean"... )-stuie-climate-image.jpg  

Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Stuie is certainly very far north for a Csb climate in North America, and is one of those isolated pockets that crop up from time to time. It isn't very Mediterranean, but it's borderline so that's no surprise. It still seems to bear similarities to Pacific Northwest characteristics, though.

On one world climate map I saw a small pocket of Csb in the Alaska Panhandle, but in my extensive search I've found no records of such a place. I've found several Dsc climates, but no Csb. It may not even exist but with the summer drying trend of some parts of the Panhandle and the milder winters there's a small chance of a Csb (maybe even a Csc) being somewhere in there.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,557,510 times
I prefer using 0°C as a threshold for D climates. -5/0.1°C is definitely continental to me! So with those summers Stuie would be hemiboreal.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I prefer using 0°C as a threshold for D climates. -5/0.1°C is definitely continental to me! So with those summers Stuie would be hemiboreal.
Koeppen preferred to use -3C, and the northernmost Csb under that system is what we're discussing here.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:50 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,359,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
A local curiosity weather fans might enjoy:

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

Fifty degrees north, and meets all of Koppen's criteria for a Csb climate:

Coldest month averaging warmer than -3C.
Driest month less than 30mm of precipitation.
Driest month less than less than one-third wettest winter months precipitation.

It's just shy of Dsb by about 0.6C in the coldest month, and just shy of Csa in the hottest two months, again by 0.6C. Though little rain falls, it's too cool and wet to qualify as semi-arid given the winter max.

Unlike many stations elsewhere in the interior, it shows a strong winter max stations even as nearby as Spences Bridge and Lytton don't recieve. My best guess is that come coastal weather is funneled up the Fraser canyon. ( I'd love reliable climate data for Boston Bar or any one of the little towns north of Hope, south of Lytton, as it seems like it would have a very intriguing transitional climate. )
I think this gets back to the issue of the fact that Koppen’s original “C” climates were called “Mild Temperate Rainy” and not subtropical (Mediterranean is within the subtropical climate group). In the case of the Trewartha system – Lytton doesn’t have 8 months with a mean temp of 10 C/50 F...so it would not be subtropical Mediterranean either.

So in both systems it seems that Lytton is a temperate climate...still very warm for being in Canada.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 08-02-2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,557,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Koeppen preferred to use -3C, and the northernmost Csb under that system is what we're discussing here.
Yeah and Boston is subtropical, so is (almost) Toronto, which is logical given that they have sooooo warm winters FYI many climatologists use the 0°C threshold as it makes much more sense from a vegetation point of view; I wasn't trying to hijack the OP's thread but merely expressing my opinion (are we still allowed to do that here?) about what I consider an absurd feature of this way of classifying climates, the OP's climate being a perfect example: in that case if you use the -3C threshold Lytton becomes a cool summer Mediterranean climate with record lows approaching -30C and 156cm snow each year.
Ask yourself this question, does it have more in common with Porto or Innsbruck?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:34 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
To me this is simply a temperate climate.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Oh, wow. I answered my own question before the first post with an even-less Mediterranean locale: Stuie, British Columbia, at Fifty-Two degrees north.

( Available here, or nicely Wikified by yours truly thus: )
It's a definite A climate in my book whatever it's classified as - good find!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Yeah and Boston is subtropical, so is (almost) Toronto, which is logical given that they have sooooo warm winters FYI many climatologists use the 0°C threshold as it makes much more sense from a vegetation point of view; I wasn't trying to hijack the OP's thread but merely expressing my opinion (are we still allowed to do that here?) about what I consider an absurd feature of this way of classifying climates
I am aware that many climatologists use 0C as the threshold, but Koeppen did not, and since we're discussing his system of classification here, the -3C threshold is where it's at. If you want to find the northernmost subtropical climate using the criteria you or anyone else adheres to, I have no objection, but this isn't the thread for that. I don't want to turn this into a debate over where the subtropics/Mediterranean ends and where continental begins. We already have threads for that.

I think we can all respect that under the Koeppen system these are Csb climates, and try to find the northernmost one that qualifies, regardless of what one thinks of the merits of that particular system. I do just that when it comes to the Trewartha system or any other classification scheme, so I see no reason why that courtesy can't be reciprocated.

Quote:
Ask yourself this question, does it have more in common with Porto or Innsbruck?
It's borderline, the implications of that being obvious. I could ask the same sort of question: does its winters have more in common with New York City or Winnipeg? The answers to any of these sort of questions don't prove much in and of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather