Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which classification system do you prefer?
Köppen-Geiger 33 44.00%
Trewartha 27 36.00%
Neither 15 20.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:48 AM

2,939 posts, read 1,318,806 times

Advertisements

i believe in terms of New Zealand Trewartha is more accurate as it has most of the North Island classed as subtropical based on it's very mild winters. It's also more Accurate with Australia on what areas are subtropical compared to Koppen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...opical_climate

I still think Trewartha isn't completely accurate though and has alot of flaws. Each nation i feel is able to judge what classification it's regions are more than these systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,543,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London isn't subtropical under Trewartha.

First post and it brings up a year old thread asking about London?!
Well, actually, according to Wikipedia, London Weather Centre lists November mean at 10'C, making 8 months >10'C.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,701,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
i believe in terms of New Zealand Trewartha is more accurate as it has most of the North Island classed as subtropical based on it's very mild winters. It's also more Accurate with Australia on what areas are subtropical compared to Koppen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...opical_climate

I still think Trewartha isn't completely accurate though and has alot of flaws. Each nation i feel is able to judge what classification it's regions are more than these systems
The standard Trewartha map doing the rounds, is wrong. All of the coast on the North Island and about 40% of the South Island (including Christchurch) is above the 8 months >10C threshold.

They have been for as long as those areas have had records, so the excuse of the map being based on old data doesn't stack up.

Wrong for Aussie as well - Melbourne barely gets one month below 10C (9.8C) and even Hobart is comfortably within the threshold.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-27-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 01:05 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,608,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Well, actually, according to Wikipedia, London Weather Centre lists November mean at 10'C, making 8 months >10'C.
Central London is, but Heathrow isn't.

Heathrow is all that matters on here it seems.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:30 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,822,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Those averages are a load of rubbish. They're from a roof in central London, lol! I may as well set a weather station up in my living room.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Central London is, but Heathrow isn't.

Heathrow is all that matters on here it seems.
You know very well that those LWC averages are nonsense. At least give the guy the correct information - As in the weather centre is/was on a roof! Also, it wasn't over a 30 year period either, was it?

Old 10-27-2016, 02:29 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,973,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Thinking of a way to classify the "temperate climates" without cold winters (similar to Koppen C) I'd do a 4 way classification. First division would be those that have no month colder than about 7°C. These would have only occasional frost, able to support a large variety of plant life and not have winters cold enough to truly change usual outdoor activities and habits. They are no tropical because some months are noticeably different from the hottest season and there are some frosts — a tropical climate requires constant heat, the 18°C threshold for every month Koppen uses is about what to me would be summer-like, and is close to the requirements of some tropical plants so I'd Koppen's border.

Then I divide uses Koppen's thershold for hot summers — warmest month > 22°C. This to prevent a climate like this from getting a subtropical designation. Since I've already divided the C climates by winters, there are no issues with grouping the climates with the coldest winters with the rest of the C climates. I keep Koppen's -3°C winter boundary for C climates since that fits closer with the line of winterlong snow.So,

Warm winter, Hot summer = Humid Subtropical
Warm winter, Mild summer = Warm Oceanic
Cool winter, Hot summer = Warm Continental (or maybe there's a better term)
Cool winter, Mild summer = Cold Oceanic

Then the usual dry winter, dry summer subtypes, the "humid subtropical" name obviously changes for the dry summer subtype. For D climates with mean winter temperatures < -3°C I'd use Koppen's classification, though for New England it produces odd results, "warm continental", "cold oceanic", Dfa (maybe not with the -3°C threshold), and Dfb would all occur within 100 miles of each other.

The warm oceanic climates are a mild climate lovers' paradise. My system allows one to pick them out easily, and their plant growth and weather patterns are usually quite different from the hot summer subtypes. In much of the world, the warm oceanic climates have a dry summer, with the southern hemisphere being the biggest exception. Personally, my ideal is a climate straddling the boundary between warm oceanic and humid subtropical.
I like this. I think the 7°C isotherm is a good boundary for places that see snow most winters vs. places that don't see snow most winters.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:33 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,376,196 times
Quote:
Because it's always posters who make their first post, and then resurrect years old threads so they can start more arguments.
You continue those arguments with your need to respond though. Just ignore them.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:21 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,608,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
You know very well that those LWC averages are nonsense. At least give the guy the correct information - As in the weather centre is/was on a roof! Also, it wasn't over a 30 year period either, was it?
I'm fairly certain that if a station was set up in the centre of the UHI under standard conditions, it would record 8 months above 10c. That is hypothetical though.

I said that London isn't subtropical just a couple of posts before.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that if a station was set up in the centre of the UHI under standard conditions, it would record 8 months above 10c. That is hypothetical though.

I said that London isn't subtropical just a couple of posts before.
Perhaps you're right, but as it stands, LWC should be disregarded.

I never said London was or wasn't subtropical. My issue was only with the LWC.
The whole subtropical thing is just ridiculous tbh. It's thrown at climates that have seemingly no relation to one another, and to such an extent that the term 'subtropical', has no real meaning or relevance to me. That's only my opinion, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather